If automobile photography is your passion, then Pebble Beach can deliver "Kodak Moments" unlike any other venue. The quality of the cars and their impeccable preparation add up to some amazing opportunities.
- It can be very busy during the day. Photos, especially in the case of the more desirable cars, will be crowded with people. Even if the car is not blocked, you'll find busy or otherwise unattractive backgrounds. Use this time to go off to the sidelines and photograph the cars that are not drawing large throngs; there will be some excellent shots available.
- The peak crowd hours is a good time to get up close shots. Interiors, engines and many detail areas are excellent opportunities.
- Around 4:30 and after the "Best of Show" presentation, the crowds thin out quickly. This is the chance to get the shots with the magnificent background. It's a tradition that the Best of Show winner is also available with an "official" photographer capturing the memory, so this is another excellent chance.
- The morning hours, when the cars are being set up also has some excellent photo ops.
- Sometimes the photographers get pushy and, to be honest, professionalism and courtesy can be forgotten as requests get shouted out. The people who bring their cars might not be used to this. Our recommendation: have some consideration for them.
Does it get any better than this? (The answer is no.) If the throngs get you feeling like the great shots are non-existant, than wait until later Sunday afternoon and you'll have some of the most beautiful cars in the world at your disposal.
Self portraits are EZ at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance with all the exquisite chrome available.
Getting the prime close-ups can require down-to-earth techniques. It isn't necessary to wear jeans, but you might want to select clothes not easily damaged by grass stains.
If you happen to have some creative Photoshop inclinations, there are some interesting "effects" that you can have fun with.
Note: Clicking on an image with this symbol () will lead to a larger image.