Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This kills me

Posted by turbomangt 
This kills me
October 08, 2003 11:56AM
<HTML>Well, I'm not sure if this Lotus / Lambo dealership has the same mentality as other dealers (this is the first dealer I never did any work for) but here is the latest on how I get work, and price it out. I get my price ($200) on any high end car that is either sold, or if its going on the show room floor. he also wants me to do a lesser priced detail ($100) for a car if its just going back on the lot. I agreed, and informed him that would NOT include engine cleaning, no carpet extracting, no leather conditioning, (just cleaning) and only would perform a one step exterior. So yesterday I go to pick up a Black 4 Runner. he said just a lot detail on this one. When I went to see the car, I almost died. It looked like it was buffed with steel wool. I drive the car up to the office, and walked in to talk to the service manager. I said, Look Don, have you seen what this car looks like in the sun? It really needs some attention. he goes, I want a lot detail on it thats all. OK, I said. This kills me. I went back to the shop and decided that if they were not going to pay me for doing the right job, I would do the best I could for the time/money allowed. I used a one step cleaner wax on it. (this goes against everything I was trained to do)This really blew my mind, when I returned the car, Don looked around the truck and inside, then he looked at me and said, Wow, it really cleaned up nicely! Man, this is a different world than what I'm used to. Gary</HTML>
Re: This kills me
October 09, 2003 08:05PM
<HTML>Hi Gary,
Not everyone has the high standards we do! lol But you met his needs and he was happy perhaps through time you will educate him.
Jay</HTML>
October 10, 2003 01:25AM
<HTML>You should have done a $200 job section in and out (like one floor board and one panel or spot on the hood) and educated the man. You do seminars to educate, right? Just a thought.....</HTML>
October 10, 2003 03:21AM
<HTML>I'm begining to feel that dealers don't really have a clue what detailing is all about. (JIm, you are the exception,) Gary</HTML>
October 10, 2003 04:21AM
<HTML>You are right. I went to the acura dealer up the street to check out the new TL. The car was detailed for the showroom but it was not clayed and polished right. Looks like someone greased it up to make it look wet. It has swirls and when you run your hand over it.... rough!

Sad indeed..

Also, many detailers fight with dealers to not detail or wash their cars on delivery or after service appts.</HTML>
October 10, 2003 04:25AM
<HTML>Do not judge this guy as representative of dealers. Some dealers today have not "grown up" in the industry and truly do not know what is a good detail and what is not.

I learned a lot about good detailing from dealers. Things like insuring fender edges were cleaned; that the sides of the glove box drawer were dusted and cleaned; what a really clean a/c was; how to get dirt out of rubber molding in the doors. I had one dealer whose first inspection act was to open all the doors and bend the molding to see if we had cleaned inside the molding.

How to clean an engine and the underside of the hood.

You all think that dealers do shoddy work, that is far from the case. At least the old time dealers knew what to look for and did. Where as the motorist sees what you do, the dealer sees what you do not do.

The difference between wholesale work and retail work is that a detailer can get by with doing "coverup" work because the dealer only wants the car to look good to sell it. Once it is gone from his lot he could care less about whether the swirls come back or not.

So the wholesale detailer learns they can cover things up like swirls and dirt, etc.

Whereas with a retail customer who keeps a car they will eventually see the shoddy, cover up work. Sad thing is that some "professional" detailers who think they know what they are doing do nothing more than coverup work for the retail customer and get away with it at least once.

Then again, if the customer doesn't know any better that is what they come to expect from detailers. After all, how long can you expect a pair of shined shoes to stay shiny?

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 03:31AM
<HTML>After helping my cousin manage his detailing center in the Toyota dealership, I've come to realize that cover ups in the name of the game when it comes to wholesale.

While doing retail work for the past 8 years, perfection is what I'm customed to and the meaning of "you get what you pay for" is absolutely true. Most customers don't mind paying $125 and up for hi-quality detailing.

Dealers on the other hand want everything for free. But there are good points to doing dealer work. It's always available. People are always buying cars, whiched need to be prepped for delivery to the customers. This work is fine and a great source of revenue but I must say that it's not true detailing.

Can you possibly "detail" a new car in 30 minutes? Of course not. Dealer detailing is just "prepping."

Gary:
Hhow is the world did you land a wholesale account at $200 per car? My exotic car broker/dealer flinches when I throw him a $90 invoice for detailing a Ferrari. Plus, your dealer should be a little more expecting when it comes to hi-end detailing.

Bud:
How can I eliminate "back alley detailers?" When ever I drive by their operations I just laugh.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 11, 2003 04:07AM
<HTML>As far as most retail customers not minding paying $125 & up...it seems to me for every one that don't mind, there's 10 that want to beat you up on your pricing. They seem to think that just because you're mobile you'll be willing to barter to a lower price....like you're hard up for work or something!!!</HTML>
October 11, 2003 04:39AM
<HTML>What you have to do is cater to the customers who are willing to pay the $125 to $200 for a complete detail.

But you also have to provide a perception of value. Face facts, a smart, savy businessman who would pay you top dollar for a detail realizes that a mobile detailer does not have the overhead of a fixed location and their decision to not pay you is based on their perception of what your service is worth.

Why do people pay $75,000 for a Mercedes Benz or BMW whereas the top of the line VW can only command about $30,000, yet the VW is a wonderful car. Why? Because they perceive it is worth more.

Most mobile operations cannot command as much as a fixed location for this reason. In fact, they usually have to charge less. When, in fact, custom at your home or office, in any other business would command more dollars.

If you go to a locksmith you can get a key made for about $6.00 but if they have to come to your house or office it is about $50. Can a detailer charge extra for that service? No! Why? Perception of value.

As I have often said to the chagrin of detailers but many customers see mobile detailers as no more than good "shoe-shine boys." They respect you, they will pay you a certain amount and they will call you back. But they do not respect you as a professional, highly skilled technician.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 04:55AM
<HTML>Brian:

You will never get rid of the back alley detailers as long as the cost of entering the business is so low. Or, until someone raises the bar and establishes a standard for a professional detailing business.

Go back 30 years when Jiffy Lube and Minit Lube and Oil Can Henry's seltarted the quick lube industry. They set the standard for a professional quick lube facility.

Others came in and tried to setup less expensive shops but failed and today the standard in the industry; private; franchise or branded are all the same.

What is the standard for a detail shop? A messy, disorganized, dirty facility in a poor part of town. Yes, there are some very nice shops around the country and they are the ones doing big business.

And, when government, EPA and OSHA really start to crack down on the detialing industry violations we will see the back alley people out of business.

COLLISION REPAIR INDUSTRY ANALOGY

In 1975 therer were 128,000 body shops in the USA. Today there are less than 53,000 and they estimate this will be below 50,000 in the next 5 years.

Yet the industry has more than quadrupled in volume during that same time. Funny, less shops but more money. Easy to figure those left are doing 4 and 5 times more business than their back alley collegues.

Why did this happen:

1. EPA demands for down draft paint booths, etc.
2. Stricter OSHA standards for employee protection such as down draft paint booths and other things.
3. Unibody construction that made it impossible to repair a car without a computerized frame straightener.
4. Insurance companies demanding standards from shops or they would not allow them to repair cars under their policies.

Right now there are 14,000 detail shops listed in the Yellow Pages in the USA, but when the big boys come into the industry you will see this number drop dramatically.

In 1980 only 10% of the automatic carwashes did detailing. Today over 90% offer some form of detailing and they are making big, big money with detailing.

A figure of 11% was indicated in the lastest quick lube industry survey that were offeirng detailing.

And the auto dealer is fast moving into the retail part of detailing as they have moved into the quick lube business. They are looking for more and more profit centers and detialing is an easy one.

Our company spends probably 75% of our effort in marketing to auto dealers and they all want to offer detailing to the public. And the dealer principals are all willing to invest with our company to upgrade and improve the personnel and equiopment in their shops.

Beware, these dealers could be a huge competition when they fullly embrace the detail business for their servuce customers. Read the Kevin Hart's editorial on this subject in this month's issue of Professional Carwashing and Detailing Magazine.

Who was the biggest retailer in the USA over 100 years ago? If you said, Montgomery Ward's you would be right. Where are they today? Bankrupt and out of business. Who is the biggest retailer to day? If you said WalMart you would be right.

What happened? MW kept doing what they always did in spite of a changing market and they were driven out of business because they failed to adjust.

Detailers will fall by the wayside if they do not change what they are doing and look to the future trends. Not doom and gloom, but reality.

Regards
bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 06:24AM
<HTML>Bud:

I agree 100% on everything you said except the respect department. I do see where your point is coming from though. Luckily, I haven't experienced any disrespect or been looked upon as an inferior due to my occupation (though I feel that sometimes compared to my customers.) But that feeling goes away when I remind myself, "I'm a businessman, detailing is the service I provide in my business." Also, when I look at my income statements that feeling goes away as well.

Going back to your May 1999 article about "What kind of detailer are you" made me grasp that I am a businessman, not just a detailer. I love what I do, simply put and I hope other detailers learn to feel the same way.

I hear what you're saying about the good shoe shine boy! Great comparison. I can relate. When I first started out, thats exactly how I felt. Honestly, it WAS a good feeling. I was still a kid (still am I suppose) at the time but thinking back I felt great knowing what I did and what I was going to do. Build it from the ground up!

When I began in this business, I thought ahead--way ahead. I looked to where I wanted to be when I was 35-40 years old. And not only do I detail cars, I also do boats. So I came up with a professional, yet catchy name that would allow me to expand to different entities. Then came along the name Precision Auto & Marine. In New Jersey we have too many back alley detailers. Like you stated Bud, that you need to raise the bar and establish standards to be rid these monguls, I'm trying to do just that. Education is what I feed my customers when they get their cars serviced by me. I don't bad mouth the competition, I just let them know how it is. I have big business and goals ahead of me, not Brian's Auto Detailing. Now if I do planes...??? hehe.

A customer told me that he used to go to one of my competition and they powerwashed his carpets!!! Can you believe that? Yeah, that detailer is now out of business.

As for mobile detailing, I charge around $20-$30 more for trips no more than 10 miles. Customers who are aware what detailing is won't even flinch at my pricing, though I was told "I'm cheap."

Sorry, I know this is totally off the subject of dealers!

Take care,</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 11, 2003 12:32PM
<HTML>Brian:

You are certainly the exception to the normal rule. And it begins with your attitude about what you do.

As you say, the perception is there by the motorist but if the detail business person has the right attitude and has the KNOWLEDGE; CONFIDENCE & ENTHUSIASM about what they are doing then it will carry over.

If you charge extra for your "custom service" this lets the customer know you know who you are and what you are providing.

Too many mobille detailers are mobile simply because it is cheaper considering they do not have an affluent containing mat; sometimes no insurance; no employees and not all the equipment needed to do a professional job.

Keep up the good work and one day you will have a large shop processing 20 to 30 cars per day.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 12:32PM
<HTML>Brian:

You are certainly the exception to the normal rule. And it begins with your attitude about what you do.

As you say, the perception is there by the motorist but if the detail business person has the right attitude and has the KNOWLEDGE; CONFIDENCE & ENTHUSIASM about what they are doing then it will carry over.

If you charge extra for your "custom service" this lets the customer know you know who you are and what you are providing.

Too many mobille detailers are mobile simply because it is cheaper considering they do not have an affluent containing mat; sometimes no insurance; no employees and not all the equipment needed to do a professional job.

Keep up the good work and one day you will have a large shop processing 20 to 30 cars per day.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 02:13PM
<HTML>Brain, I have been doing some creative things around here to promote my company, which is why I can get pretty much my price. I don't have the time right now, (Have a car to jump on) but I will let you know soon, Gary</HTML>
October 11, 2003 05:49PM
<HTML>Bud:

You are absolutely right about the perceived of value of a mobile detailing operation. Businessmen tell me all the time that "It must be nice having a business with no overhead". However, I think there are things mobile detailers can do to improve the perceived value of their services.

For starters, it helps to have a professional rig with all the proper equipment: pressure washer, water tank, waste water reclaim system, extractor, vacuum, buffers, shade canopy, air compressor, generator, etc. The more self-contained your unit it, the more professional the operation appears. Professional signage and a properly detailed vehicle in excellent cosmetic condition are also important. Detailers themselves should be properly groomed and uniformed.

It is also important for mobile detailers to be knowledgeable so they can answer questions and explain things to customers in a professional manner. The idea here is to be an expert in what you do.

I know a mobile detailer in this area that learned everything he knows by trial and error with various products; whatever he can get from the local stores. His work is excellent, but he has no concept of the chemistry behind detailing, nor is he aware of why certain products do what they do. He can do great work, but his customers will never think of him as an expert or a professional because he can't answer their questions like a professional.

As you said, it's also important to target the customers that respect you and are willing to pay $125-$200 for a professional complete detail service. You can't be everything to everybody. Mobile Detailers tend to attract a lot of on-lookers that like the idea of getting their car cleaned while they work, but they don't understand what detailing is or what it's worth.

For example, several medical assistants may ask you "how much do you charge" while you are detailing a doctor's car at a medical complex. You may get a wash or wash and wax out of some of them, but they are not the kind of customers a mobile detailer needs to be successful.</HTML>
October 11, 2003 07:29PM
<HTML>Thats what I forgot to add, APPEARANCE. I worked with detailers who looked like complete slobs. Don't get me wrong, they did good work but you would never think they were professionals. A polo shirt with the business name and comfortable slacks will give a nice impression. "Carpenter cracks" have no place in the detailing industry. :-)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 11, 2003 09:45PM
<HTML>Gary:

You are absolutely correct. There is a perception on the part of a savy customer that a mobile detailer has no overhead and therefore must be making a lot of money. So they might quesiton your pricing based on that.

But, as you say, if you target customers who have the money, don't want to do the work themselves and are smart enough to know what they do not know, they will understand if you are a knowledgeable and informed technician that knows paints; leathers; glass and knows the chemistry of the chemicals being use.

If you insure your truck; van or trailer is professional looking and that you are always well-groomed and your truck or van is in perfect condition with professional lettering, etc. As you say, you can overcome this negative perception.

One way is to charge for the custom service and let them know that they are paying for you coming to their house or office. If you don't charge they think of you as a "shoe-shine" boy. But if have all the trappings of a professional business and are a knowledgeable technician and businessman, and not a $0.10 millionaire you will get their attention and their respect.

Regards
bud A</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 02:55AM
<HTML>So much good information on these threads today. But.....I am struggling with something. A complete mobile detail for $125 to $200? I relize we have to be competitive with the "Walmarts" of detail but I don't know how you guys do it. Seems to me set up and drive time to be mobile ads at least an hour to your already lengthy process. I don't know how to full detail a car in "average" condition in under 6.5 hours and feel good about the end result. (by full detail I mean, interior vacuum, extratction, windows, leather, dressings, polishing paint, etc....)So, in the end you have at least 7.5 hours. This works out to $16.66 to $26.66 per hour. With insurance and overhead and all the expenses that go into this, this is not a good living. I am not trying to discourage anyone just trying to learn. What am I missing? Is 7.5 hours too long to spend on a full detail?
When people find out I detail cars on the side, their first question is "How much"? Of course you ask them what they would like to have done and they tell you "everything". When I tell them $300 for average size car, they fall over dead. Then I revive them with my detailed price sheet that lists EVERYTHING I will be doing for their car right down to cleaning the rubber on the wiper blades. Most people are very hard sells for this package. Most are somewhere in middle of package deals. From on guy to another, how long does it take you guys to full detail a car?</HTML>
October 12, 2003 02:55AM
<HTML>So much good information on these threads today. But.....I am struggling with something. A complete mobile detail for $125 to $200? I relize we have to be competitive with the "Walmarts" of detail but I don't know how you guys do it. Seems to me set up and drive time to be mobile ads at least an hour to your already lengthy process. I don't know how to full detail a car in "average" condition in under 6.5 hours and feel good about the end result. (by full detail I mean, interior vacuum, extratction, windows, leather, dressings, polishing paint, etc....)So, in the end you have at least 7.5 hours. This works out to $16.66 to $26.66 per hour. With insurance and overhead and all the expenses that go into this, this is not a good living. I am not trying to discourage anyone just trying to learn. What am I missing? Is 7.5 hours too long to spend on a full detail?
When people find out I detail cars on the side, their first question is "How much"? Of course you ask them what they would like to have done and they tell you "everything". When I tell them $300 for average size car, they fall over dead. Then I revive them with my detailed price sheet that lists EVERYTHING I will be doing for their car right down to cleaning the rubber on the wiper blades. Most people are very hard sells for this package. Most are somewhere in middle of package deals. From on guy to another, how long does it take you guys to full detail a car?

jer</HTML>
October 12, 2003 03:12AM
<HTML>Jerry, on average about 5 to 6 hours for a full, and we are a fixed operation, not sure how much longer it would take for a mobile operation, all the setting up time etc. This is for a Ford Taurus sized car , the Explorers/Expeditions and F250/350 size take longer especially the black and white ones, not unusual for us to spend 4 hours just on the outside . I had one trade in that took me about 18 hours, belonged to a rural route postal carrier, we had to take the door panels off, all the rear interior panels ,all the speaker coversetc, as every time we cleaned it and closed the door, thin clouds of dust would stream out .

Jim.</HTML>
October 12, 2003 04:13AM
<HTML>Jerry:

On average I'd say it takes me 4-5 hours to "completely detail" your average car. If you're not clearing $25-$30 p/h for a 6 hour detail I'd look into ways to work smarter and not harder. Try to cut your time and find the best process that produces the best results. What is in your $300 package?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 12, 2003 01:22PM
<HTML>Jerry-

That price range was just an example. My prices for a full detail start at $150 are based on the size and condition of the vehicle. I price each job by estimating the time required for the job and multiplying by an unpublished hourly "shop" rate of $35 per hour, which is what I must make to meet all my expenses, desired salary, and profit. Those hourly figures are based on the knowledge that travel time limits my "billable" hours to 6 or 7 per average day.

If a full detail was going to take me 7.5 hours, I would charge $250 and make a day out of it. At $250 per day, I would gross anywhere from $50,000 to $60,000 per year based on how many days I worked per week, which is just fine for my one-man operation.

However, most details take me between 4.5 and 6 hours. The only thing I can see taking me 7.5 hours are large SUV's and conversion vans in bad shape. When I say full detail I mean everything... wash, clay, 3-stage buff, engine & trunk clean, complete interior extraction and q-tip cleaning, all interior/exterior moldings, trim & rubber gaskets cleaned & dressed, windows cleaned, etc. I have a very efficient process.</HTML>
October 12, 2003 03:21PM
<HTML>MOBILE DETAILING BILLING

If I may, I would suggest that mobile detailers figure in the wasted drive time to jobs in their hourly rate, plus gas, plus depreciation on your van; truck, etc.

Why give away anything. Put all your costs in and you will make money and not be a slave to business.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 03:21PM
<HTML>MOBILE DETAILING BILLING

If I may, I would suggest that mobile detailers figure in the wasted drive time to jobs in their hourly rate, plus gas, plus depreciation on your van; truck, etc.

Why give away anything. Put all your costs in and you will make money and not be a slave to business.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 06:54PM
<HTML>Gary:

Where are you located?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 17, 2009 05:41AM
Revisited after 5 years. Time for a bump.

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login