Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buffing Pads

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Buffing Pads
October 12, 2003 11:35PM
<HTML>There has not been any pointed discussion of buffing pads on the forum. Let's see what you all think of the various buffing pads. Who is using what, why and why not.

100% White Wool Cutting Pads
Poly/Wool Blend Cutting Pads
Flat Foam Cutting Pads
Spaghetti Strand Foam Cutting Pads

Sheepskin Polishing Pads
Flat Foam Polishing Pads
Spaghetti Strand Foam Polishing Pads

Thanks

buda</HTML>

buda
Re: Buffing Pads
October 13, 2003 12:35AM
<HTML>Wool pad from CarBrite, re my previous post on wool pads, have just started using one again recently and just love the results with this pad.

Foam pads . Use quite a few ..

From HouChem...we use their foam cutting pad (yellow) with the holes cut in to the pad ( I believe they are called "Cool-it " pads) and have been very happy with the results. Also use a black waffle foam polishing pad from CarBrite, best I have used , gives a beuatiful finish .

Cool-it pads ( I'm not sure on the correct name for these pads so please correct me if I am wrong) are big at our place right now , CarBrite are bringing us a Black Finishing pad on the reps next visit.

These Spaghetti pads , have seen them but not tried one yet, would like to hear from anyone here who has what the advantages etc .

Jim.</HTML>
October 13, 2003 02:55AM
<HTML>I use flat foam pads ("The Edge" brand) for light cutting and polishing. There are three grades of foam that I use for different tasks. I like the shape and they hold up great. I use a poly/wool blended pad for medium to heavy cutting on clearcoat paints. I use a white wool pad for heavy cutting of gelcoats and single stage paints or buffing after wet sanding. I don't find much use for a sheepskin pad and I've never tried a spaghetti pad.</HTML>
October 13, 2003 05:16AM
<HTML>Jim:

Which wool pad are you using and on what paint finish for what reason?

Regards
bud a</HTML>

buda
October 13, 2003 08:57PM
<HTML>Anyone use Lake Country pads? I hear they are supposed to be high in quality and very durable. They're ideal for a DIYer like me.</HTML>
October 14, 2003 01:27AM
<HTML>I use exactly the way Gary said.</HTML>
October 14, 2003 12:15PM
<HTML>It would be nice if companies would standardize a color code for all pads. (cutting/polishing/finishing.) I use pads from Meg, AM, 3-M, and Detail Plus. It can get confusing trying to keep each manufacturer's idenity straight. just my 2 cents p.s. now I want to try the Lake ct pads, add another one in the mix</HTML>
October 14, 2003 03:56PM
<HTML>That is the last thing that pad companies really want to do is standardize their colors because the user, you would realize they are a commodity that you can buy from anyone.

Actually most do in any case:

Yellow foam - cutting pads
White foam - polishing pads
Black foam - polishing pads

White wool - heavy cutting pads
Yellow wool - poly/wool blend

If you stick with these colors you will stay on track. At least that is how we do it at DETAIL PLUS.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 14, 2003 05:08PM
<HTML>Not all pads are the same, Bud. There are the flat pads, the concaved ones, the ones with curved edges, the onles with flat edges, the ones with beveled edges, the "waffle" types, etc. It's a matter of personal preference which ones you use, but I recommend sticking to one supplier for all your pads. This avoids the confusion. The brand I use I selected because I like the shape, price, and also because the colors meanings for ALL pads printed on the back of each individual pad.</HTML>
October 14, 2003 05:47PM
<HTML>Gary:

What is the difference between a foam pad with contoured edges; beveled edges and flat edges?

What is the reason for foam pads with a waffle surface; a spaghetti strand and with holes in the pad?

With those answers out of the way we can move forward with the disucssion.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 14, 2003 11:52PM
<HTML>I can't wait to hear where this goes. . What I'm hearin g form Bud, perhaps he will correct me if I'm wrong. Is it possible that companies are just adding frills, or something different to get us to buy them?</HTML>
October 15, 2003 12:29AM
<HTML>That's a question best left for the people who designed them, but which one you use is mostly a matter of personal preference. Almost any pad will get the job done, but how the pad performs on flat surfaces, edges, curves, and tight spots is what makes certain designs favorable or unfavorable to the operator.</HTML>
October 15, 2003 01:25AM
<HTML>Gary K:

You are right, I think that companies have to position themselves from the competition to make their product (pad in this case) different from the others.

Certainly the waffle; spaghetti and ones with holes in them will work cooler because of the air pockets.

But flat; contoured or beviled edge are not really much different in function.

In fact, you had better keep the sharp edge of a foam pad away from the paint our you will burn the paint off. I know from experience, I did it on a couple of occasions.

But wait until you see the new attachment system I will be offering. Instead of a velcro backer plate we will offer a screw on attachment like a rachet wrench. Once o n the tool you "snap" a dual sided cutting or polishing pad (wool or foam) on to the attachement, perfectly centered, and work with it. When the pad is dirty just unsnap the pad and turn if over and in seconds you have a new pad to buff/polish with.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 15, 2003 02:43AM
<HTML>We have been using these <a href="[www.smarnold.com] It </a> pads with good results. I cant tell you the science behind them as I'm not that clever, but according to the web-site they "have a specially designed PATTERN CUT in the foam which opens up as the polishing machine is in operation relieving pressure on the painted surface to "COOL-ITâ„¢". This traps excess polish & compound and keeps the surface lubricated to help prevent swirls, paint burning, separation, and graying."

Bud , I checked on that wool pad that we are using, it's made by Car-Brite and it does not say what mix it is , I will find out when the rep visits next.

I have also tried a pad that one vendor bought in for us to try,it was bright orange and it was claimed to be a 'all purpose pad " with both good cutting and polishing capabilities. We tried it for a week and sent it back, as it didnt do either very well, According to some people these orange pads are casuing quite a buzz, but tried it and was not impressed.

The other thing I have found with pads that have shaped edges is that we get a lot of pad "bounce" where it feels like you are buffing a rubber ball for want of a better description. I can see the advanteges of the beveld or shaped pad though.

Jim.</HTML>
October 15, 2003 03:35AM
<HTML>Typically the poly/wool blend pads are yellow and if you feel them against a white 100% wool pad you can feel the more aggressive feel of the wool.

Not familiar with the "orange" pad.

I would be very suspicious of any thing or one who suggests a pad for both cutting and polishing. Just an opinion, based on my research and experience.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 15, 2003 03:47AM
<HTML>Bud, you can read about them <a href="[www.properautocare.com] Pad</a> and < ahref="[www.detailersparadise.com];

We just tried one that was given to us for free, and gave it straight back.

Jim.</HTML>
October 15, 2003 03:48AM
<HTML>Bud, you can read about them <a href="[www.properautocare.com] Pad</a> and < a href="[www.detailersparadise.com];

Jim.</HTML>
October 15, 2003 03:49AM
<HTML>Bud, you can read about them <a href="[www.properautocare.com] Pad</a> and
<a href="[www.detailersparadise.com];

Jim.</HTML>
October 15, 2003 03:50AM
<HTML>damm links anyway ..</HTML>
October 15, 2003 04:17AM
<HTML>Bud have that from the www.edgepad.com / 2000 works great got it from my vendor just make sure you take off as always this takes time but works better in the long run</HTML>
October 15, 2003 12:10PM
<HTML>The shape of the edge determines how well you can squeeze the buffer into tight spots like behind mirrors, into the chines of a boat, ridges on a motor home or travel trailer, etc. Beveled edges work best for that, flat edges work ok, but rounded edges are no good.</HTML>
October 16, 2003 06:48AM
<HTML>Jim:

Have you ever noticed when you turn your foam pads over after some buffing how the last 2 inches of the outer part of the pad doesn't seem to have much product there? this part of the pad is usually causing the bounce effect. While the inner most part of your foam pad has wet product in it, the outer part stays for the most part dry which causes it to grab the surface resulting in pad bounce.

When using the larger foam pads I have found buffing wet at slower speeds with an equal distribution of pressure will solve this issue. I also like the 6 inch foam pads, no bounce at all and they are great in tight areas.

I have to agree with Bud on a few items here. When you have spent as many years as some of us have in this profession, and seen how many different ideas and products folks come up with, and are still . . . . . in regards to pads, there has always been a pretty clear consistency. You might say: "old faithful" or "back to basics" pads.

1. 100% Wool pad (white)
2. 50/50 Blend (yellow)
3. Polishing (yellow)
4. Sheepskin (white)

Foam Pads:
1. Cutting (yellow)
2. Polishing (white)
3. Finishing (black)

Body Shop:
1. 2 sided Wool pads (white)
2. 2 sided 50/50 blend (yellow)
2. 2 sided Polishing pads (yellow)
3. Waffle pads (gray)

Folks are still getting great results from these pads, what does that tell you?

The first time I layed eyes on one of those spagetti style pads I asked the product rep what they were for, and he told me that they were used as an aid to wein detailers off the 100% wool pads. A lot of detailers didn't like the new foam pads until they had used them awhile and seen the benefits in using them.

I used to think that those foam pads with tapered or pointed edges would be great in tight areas till I looked down and seen that I had burned through a body side molding. I don't think some people realize that tiny edge spinning around at 1200 to 2000 RPM's gets hot very quickly, and even more so than the other variable styled pads. I have none in my arsenal. I look at paint correcting and finishing as a piece of art work, when my tools start working against me they got to go!

fancy holed and shaped pads only do one thing for me, and that is send me back to the pads that have always come through with their simple design and quality everytime. Pads wouldn't be worth much without a good balanced backing plate.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
October 16, 2003 07:47AM
<HTML>Gary:

You detail boats? Where in Jersey are you?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 16, 2003 01:17PM
<HTML>I'm not in Jersey... I'm in Mandeville, Louisiana just north of New Orleans.</HTML>
October 16, 2003 07:51PM
<HTML>Oh, I thought I read in an earlier post you had a shop in Jersey.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login