Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What Are You Managing in Your Business??

Posted by Bud Abraham 
What Are You Managing in Your Business??
October 14, 2003 06:20AM
<HTML>They say that a successful business person manages three things in a business. In the order of importance:

1. People - that is employees and customers

2. Money - knowing your costs of doing business and charging accordingly
and not spending more than you make

3. Equipment & Things

What are you managing?

If you read many of the detailing forums the participants seem to spend an inordinate amount of attention on equipment; chemicals and things, and not much on the people aspect of the business nor the financial aspects of the business.

I suggest if you find yourself in that group that is spending more time managing things and not people and money you read "The E Myth-Revisited" by Michael Gerber. It will be the best $7.50 you ever spent. You might get it cheaper than that on Amazon.com.

Would like to read some of your thoughts on this posting.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: What Are You Managing in Your Business??
October 14, 2003 07:23AM
<HTML>Bud:

Good topic.

I find that I manage all 3, but customers instead of employees. Currently, I'm a one man show with a part time guy for the big boats.

For the people part, I'm always calling customers to check up on their cars to see how everything is holding up, etc. Plus when they call for service, I try to educate them if they have questions about what I'm going to do and why. I find customer service to be the most important part of the path to success. A satisfied customer will spread the word but an unhappy one will hurt you in the long run.

The money, this is the fun part. Watching it flow in is the best part but saving it takes discipline. I act like a squirrel when it comes to money, saving basically everything I take in. Good recordkepping is a must as well. Stay away from banks that charge fees for something that shouldn't cost a dime: i.e transfers, ACTUALLY GOING TO A BANK TO MAKE A DEPOSIT--this one kills me, minimum balance requirements.

As for products and equipment, I only buy what is mandatory in the business. And for chemicals, I try to diversify. A good all-purpose cleaner, diluted for different jobs, will work as well as buying seperate cleaners.

For example, I use Auto Magic's Special Concentrate Cleaner for engine degreasing, wheel cleaning, wheel well degreasing, removing bugs off the front of newer cars, door jambs and hinges, and about 20 other uses.

Super Dress-It or EZ Rubber Concentrate for tires, engine compartment, wheel wells, vinyl, dash, rubber moldings, etc.

This help answer the question? :-)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 14, 2003 12:15PM
<HTML>E-myth is a fantastic book (I really should read it again).
As bud seems fond of saying, it tells you "what you <b>don't</b> know", even if it doesn't provide you with all the answers.

Basically it boild down to this, people who start their own busniess, tend to be technicians... like detailers. Then what happens is they spend all their time working in the business instead of ON THE BUSINESS.

Until you work on the business and make the system work for you, you end up working for the system.

I am employed to work on the business. Thats all I do, I hardly ever go near a car.
So, at last this forum has thown up a topic that I actually know something about.

Although my job consists of a lot of systemization of the day to day running of the business; and I also act as buyer, doing what it takes to improve efficianecy and the end product. But most of my work is lead generation, conversion rates, increasing average sale, encouraging repeat business,
...and back again to lead generation. so on and so on.</HTML>
October 14, 2003 12:29PM
<HTML>Bud, you made me take a closer look at my business plan. While some of us are one man operation, (like myself) we must realize that if we are to increase business, which = more $$$, we have to take things to the next level. I recently hired a young man, just a couple 2-3 hours a day, paying him $10 hour. He worked at a chevy dealer, so he has experience, and he does nice work. I mainly have him do the interior. FOR YOU GUYS THAT DO ALL THE WORK YOURSELF, WHAT A RELIEF IT IS SAVING 2 HOURS ON A CAR! I will tell you, you can get spoiled fast. Yes you make less money, but for the $20-30 bucks I pay him, sometimes I can bring in 2 cars that day, which in essence doubles my income. So I guess working smarter rather than harder is key. When it is raining out, like today, and I know my Porsche will be cancelled, I will make use of doing my marketing plan. Since I sell a small product line myself (not to pro's but to the weekend do-it-yourselfer) I plan on making a Christmas gift package. I will go to malls, door to door, and sell it in my detailing clinics to people. Down time is planning time. Gary p.s. you guys all should be selling Micro fiber towels, since I started selling them last year, I'm now moving on average 100 a week. You can make 50% gross profit as well. Gary www.perfectautofinish.com</HTML>
October 14, 2003 03:37PM
<HTML>Why will your Porsche cancel? Have you though about whats going through the customers mind when they see those darkk clouds?

This a problem we have all but fixed now. Firstly, we phone every appointment the day before to confirm... when it looks like rain we start hearing the excuses. As soon as we hear a slight hesitation we jump in with 'the message', which is that rain doesn't wash away the Valet. (By the way, we dont call it detailing, we call it Valeting in England).

In fact, we are so certain that rain doesn't wash away the detailing that we are willing to prove it. Every car gets a leaflet which says, if it rains within 24 hours, bring your car back and we will valet it again. (There is small print)

Few people ever do I might add. Some re-book, but don't find the time to get back within the time limit. Those that do come back... How long does it take to clean a car? because thats all it takes. A quick wash and leather off.

Like I say, it's something we hardly ever have to do, but this gimmic has helped get rid of 85% of the cancelations on a rainy day.</HTML>
October 14, 2003 03:58PM
<HTML>Congratulations you will be successful if you keep "working on and growing the business."

As Gerber says, "you either have to hangup the technician's hat and put on the business person's hat or hire someone else to do the business."

Best Regards and good luck

Bud a</HTML>

buda
October 14, 2003 11:58PM
<HTML>Dan, the Porsche (Speedster) cancelled because it is NOT a daily driver. This guy has 7 collector cars, when its nice, he drives them to my shop for a full detail. He is pretty good about not cancelling when I do his toyota. Gary</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login