Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Most Profitable Add-On Service

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Most Profitable Add-On Service
October 18, 2003 07:33PM
<HTML>What has been everyones most profitable add-on service besides auto detailing? After hours and hours of research online I see there are a great many ways to add revenue to a detailing operation:

Boats, PDR (paintless dent removal,) window tinting, windshield repair, carpet dyeing, interior repair, touch-up/spot painting, gold plating, etc.?

For me it's been boats. This draws in the most revenue for me but is also the most labor intensive. Teak and mahogany refinishing brings in a great deal of money and it's also enjoyable. Teak is absoultely beautiful when refinished.

I'm looking to add on touch-up/spot repair and windshield repair. But I hear that you can still see the chip in a repaired windshield. Is this true?

Does anyone have any other add-on services that weren't mentioned?

Enjoy!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Most Profitable Add-On Service
October 18, 2003 07:58PM
<HTML>Brian:

The least expensive, non-competitive add-on service today is CARPET RECOLORING & DYEING.

Up to now this has been done with an aerosol can of paint that covered the problem but left the carpet hard and crusty.

Now you have color matched water based dyes matching the 16 most common carpet colors in the industry. All you have to do is clean and get as much stain and dirt out as you can, pick the color that will recolor or cover the stains you can get out; spray and blend in with a towel.

The dealers will pay big money for this and you have no competition as there are only a few of the systems out there. Dealers are paying $40 to $50 for carpets only.

You can teach yourself to do this in an hour.

Check it out at www.detailplus.com click on Carpet Dyeing

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 18, 2003 07:58PM
<HTML>Brian:

The least expensive, non-competitive add-on service today is CARPET RECOLORING & DYEING.

Up to now this has been done with an aerosol can of paint that covered the problem but left the carpet hard and crusty.

Now you have color matched water based dyes matching the 16 most common carpet colors in the industry. All you have to do is clean and get as much stain and dirt out as you can, pick the color that will recolor or cover the stains you can get out; spray and blend in with a towel.

The dealers will pay big money for this and you have no competition as there are only a few of the systems out there. Dealers are paying $40 to $50 for carpets only.

You can teach yourself to do this in an hour.

Check it out at www.detailplus.com click on Carpet Dyeing

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 18, 2003 08:58PM
<HTML>I already do paint work, including touch-ups. It's profitable, but time consuming. Also, mixing it with detailing can cause hassles due to silicone in the air. So, for the most part, I will offer touch up and scratch repair.

I'll check out the need for it and definitely add carpet dyeing if there's enough need. Bud, what kind of price can these dye jobs fetch at retail?

I eventually want to add w/s repair. And yes, it's true that you may still be able to see the mark where the w/s was repaired, but not always. It depends on the severity of the damage. But, most people can live with it if they're only spending $20-$25 for a repair as opposed to a couple hundred or more for a new w/s. Even if their deductible is only $50 or $100, most insurance companies will gladly pay them for the repair and in fact, encourage it.

The one area that I would like to expand into is vinyl graphics. These are the really fancy, cool stripes & designs that are vatly poplular today. The cost of the graphics kits are nominal compared to the markup, which is 100-150% as a general rule. The only drawback is that you have to have a minimum order from some of the better suppliers for anywhere from $5-$10,000. Although, there's plenty out there that are willing to deal with small-time operators.

I'd also like to offer carpet & upholstery repair. From what I understand, the systems they have today are easy to use and the learning curve is short and it would be an easy add-on service.

As for PDR, it's pretty expensive and you really have to practice at it before you can go public with it. Most of the techs that I know that do this said that it takes 6 months to 1 year of practice after purchsing the tools and taking the training before they can start making money at it. What I plan to do is have my friend who does PDR come to my shop to do the work and tack on an extra 10-20% to his bill. He and I refer quite a bit of work to each other right now, so it's an easy step to take.

And finally, why not sell some small accessories....air fresheners and stuff like that. One thing that I offer to all my detail customers is a bottle or 2 of the waterless wash with a demonstration and full instructions on when it should and should not be used.</HTML>
October 18, 2003 11:55PM
<HTML>Great replies guys.

Rod:

Did you ever try the "body shop safe" dressings and waxes? There are many companies that offer such a product.

I talked to Paint Bull and they wouldn't sell me the kit without training. I don't blame them one bit on that. The thing was, my cousin does PDR with his detailing business and he was going to train me. And the vinyl graphics are a great idea. I have "marine use graphics" available to boating customers who want to redo their name on the back of the boat.

I took the paint refinishing course back in 1996-97 and learned everything when it came to repainting and detailing but since I haven't done much painting since then I feel very rusty when it comes to touch up and spot painting. That course was a year but I don't have the time to go back. Are videos as good as hands on? I mean I took the course so maybe I'll come back to me.

Bud:

I remember working with my cousin and we used the aerosol carpet dye. Talk about crunchy. How much are you asking for your Carpet Color Plus? Is this system safe in health purposes? I used to get a headache when using the aerosol dye.

Lets go Yanks!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 19, 2003 12:45AM
<HTML>Brian-There's a magazine I subscribe to called Restyling. They have all kinds of sources you can get graphics from. Here's the address. I tried to link it, but I dunno if it'll work. Check it out!!

[www.nbm.com]

As for Paint Bull, in order to properly use their system, you have to go through their training. It's not typical body shop painting. It involves some special techniques where, for example, there's a scrape to the corner of a bumper, you sand, fill, prime, do a basecoat blend and then blend your clearcoat. You basically just paint & clear that corner instead of the whole bumper. So, there is some finesse involved and because you're using traditional paint shop systems in a way that they weren't specifically designed for and in an environment that's not a spray booth, you have to learn the techniques to get body shop results. Paint Bull is concerned with their quality control and reputation. That's why they don't just sell the kits. But, Paint Bull has been excellent from the very start. They're top notch all the way with terrific tech support. All their products are the best available. They use Standox paint & compounds. Color matches are amazingly accurate and never any problem at all. Pretty easy to use once you get some experience. Standox is a European paint and if I'm not mistaken, is the factory paint for Benz & BMW.

I know a guy who does graphics in Philadelphia. He'll put those fancy side graphics on pickup trucks. The kit may cost him about $75 and it takes him about 1.5-2 hours to do both sides and he gets $175-$250 for the job. He says it's easy to pick up. You just have to take your time and make sure you get them on evenly on both sides and try not to leave any air bubbles.

PDR is pretty tough. You've got to be real good before you go public because, unlike painting (if I screw up, I just repaint it!) if you screw up, the car's going to the body shop and you'll end up paying for it. Plus, the only way to make money at it is to do it full time. But once you get a clientele built up, you can make a substantial income and it's physically a lot easier than painting of detailing.

Thanks for the tip on b.s. safe stuff. I'll check it out. However, if I'm spraying and the paint or clear develop fisheyes from the silicone, I just add some fisheye eliminator and spray another coat. But I am using a bulk silicone tire dressing that I apply with a paint brush so there's no spray.

I really don't think I'll be doing that much spraying over the winter anyhow. So it shouldn't be a problem. We'll see what happens next spring/summer.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 04:03AM
<HTML>There is a problem with blending clear coat. If it is a retail customer, there is a big chance that the clear coat will fade in just a few months time and he or she will be at your door. Of course when I went to school this was covered, try to blend on shallow areas. However, I want to cross link my customers from service to service and the customer that wants a detail is also the customer tha looks for the faded clear coat (and finds it). Now, I live in sunny florida where the problem is worse so that does effect my bottom line. I wish I had just spent the money for touch up. I too use standox and it is really good. If I were to do it over again, I would just go to my local auotmotive paint store (standox) and get all of the supplies needed to do touch up. That really mixes well w/detailing and is rather simple to learn. If you need direction, let me know.

Bud, some months ago I bought a carpet dye system that is water based (many of the online detail stores have the same one I bought) I have been less than satisfied with some of the results though. For example, I did a blue carpet that had been bleached from a spill. The area I dyed was almost white, when I was done it was somewhere between green and blue. No where near close. This systme does not cover stains well at all. Really does more of an enhancement. Two questions, does your system cover stains well? Will the dye you sell work with this other system.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 06:55AM
<HTML>Phil:

Hopefully next year I'm going to start spot painting and touch-ups (not the brush dip and blot kind) but with a spray gun. With the freezing, slow months that lie ahead I'm going to go through my old books, if i can find them, and reteach myself the process. While in Vo-Tech I took an internship at an Oldsmobile dealership as a painter's helper. There I prepped and primed cars and sometime got to paint entire cars. Boy I did a beautiful job! But that was around 6 years ago.

Without going back to my books, I'm going to see if I can remember correctly what I did. Heres the process I did, for say a fender: tape off entire car with plastic wrap and paper...just the fender is exposed now. I then would sand the fender down with 600 grit paper. Wipe off with laquer thinner. Mix 50% primer with 50% laquer thinner. Spray fender. After it dried, I would wetsand with 1200 grit paper. Sometimes we would use this stuff called Ting with a steel wool pad instead of sandpaper. Then again, wipe down with laquer thinner and dry. Tack rag it then paint.

I know the proper way to use the spray gun but I forget painting mixture (dilution with thinner) and air pressure.

Does this sound right? Again, it's been 6 years and without looking at my books. How did I do?

I have an automotive paint store that sells everything I'll need. I loved using PPG paints back in school. Unfortunately, I had to leave the job due to respiratory problems, even using the 3M painter's respirator. I think I'll be OK doing spot painting but this happened only because I was exposed to body filler in the air, paint fumes, etc for 4 hours at a time.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 19, 2003 01:32PM
<HTML>Brian, since you went to school and have the basic idea of how to paint, a refresher course tape sold by rightlook .com maybe just what you need. I have one for reference and it is just fine. It is pricey but it is solid.
As far as touch up goes, spot painting fenders for retail customers, or bumper repair, those things are profitable btuy trust me, it has been a right pain in my arse. I really wish I had just gotten the touch up kit as opposed to the entire paint kit and school. Here is why; First I am mobile, really the only way to turn serious profit with the paint is to be mobile. That meant a butt-load of space is used up in just the paint gear. Paint, scale, microfish viewer, microfish, compressor ( a bigh one too) thinners, reducers, hardeners, sand paper assort. air hose, waste receptor (osha will have a fit when they see how some of the mobile guys really do all of this) all of this MOBILE. And you have resp. problems?
The touch up however is JUST as profitable, less gear, less work NO OVERSPRAY and the kit stays in my garage. When I get a car that needs touch up, I close the deal, write down the paint code, and on muy dext visit to that clien, I do the touch up. As a matter of fact, if I had to, I could squeeze this kit in my truck and do it on the spot. I don't have to though. The touch up kit only takes up a shelf or two.
I make it a point to learn as much as I can about my industry so that when I get cars that need work, if I do not know how to really do ther work but understand the basics, I can price it out and send it to whomever I can arranged this with and still make a profit for both of us. I leave the paint to the paint guys and they send me the touch up and detail stuff.
Hope this helps...let me know if I can help any furhter.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 02:29PM
<HTML>Brian;

If you want to short cut the cost of a paint touchup system I would not pay Right Look anything. Get in contact with a local automotive paint distributor, or better yet a direct factory office in your area. I know that Akzo Nobel, makers of Sikkens Automotive Paint have direct offices in some parts of the country and see what they can do to help you get up to snuff on things.

The problem I see for you is that paint touch up is time consuming and if you want to make money at it you have to do it everyday, mainly dealer cars because that is where the money is, regularly. To invest in a system and only do an occasional retail car may not make it work.

In fact, all extra services are mainly funded by dealer work. Retail is just to spotty.

Plus, it is difficult for a one man business to detail cars and try to do the extra services. Think about it.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 19, 2003 03:43PM
<HTML>I dissagree with Bud here and I do so from my experince. First, rightlook had the tape I needed for reference..pricey but very well done and informative. Granted, a video tape cost about 45 cents but the production level (for what it is worth) was superb. However, what I needed was what was ON the video, not HOW it got there. I tried going to ALL of the major paint manufacturer reps in my area (central florida.) and NONE were willing to help out. They all wanted to send me to another out source for the data I needed. I did find a guy who sold the paint but he had to outsource for the scale, viewer etc. He eventually reccomended a school in my area that sold the entire kit. I went there. The actual process of touch up is not that hard, it is getting through it the first time that can be confusing. I needed direction. Had I know then what I know now I would have skipped the video. Hind-sight...
With respect to touch up and detailing and one man operations...I am all of these and it works out fine. Very well for me. My experince has shown me that when a car owner has the smarts to get a detail, they tend to notice other things as well like paint chips etc. The profit margin in touch up is very high. Takes about $1 product and 20 minutes typical. I charge around $45 for the job. BUT it also gets me in the door to stay on a car. It also helps close deals with customers. In my case, (and this may be Buds Point) the investment will take much longer to return on since I do not just do touch up. BUT it has made the difference on picking up accounts that otherwise my competition might have picked up. People all the time ask me "What can you do for those damned love bug scars?" or
"Can you fix those chips?" Now, even though I went to school for micro paint reapir, I still send that out to a guy who I met. I don't like the overspray problem and many other things that were not covered in school. Hard knocks...
I should add here that my business is a bit different in that I have clients that I do every week (mobile car wash) so I can keep them posted on the problems as they develope or worsen. THAT is where most of my touchup comes from.

I like to solve as many problems as I can for my clients, I do not have millions of clients, I do have clients that call me for many things though. It is possible that Brian and my goals are different but do understand that touch up and detailing work very well together FOR ME. It may not be true for others.
I dye, paint, remove scrathces from windows, remove odors, remove scratches from paint and am about to add window tint. I have on my list of contacts people who do pdr and interior repair. So, within reason, my company can completely restore your auotmobile from bumper to bumper top to bottom inside and out...and I am a one man operation. That was and still is my goal. It has been profitable for me.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 03:53PM
<HTML>I stand corrected in your situation. However, in my own situation when I owned two fixed location detail centers with all the extra services in the shop and a manager who could do them all, we found that we could not sell enough to pay for the systems in the shop. Unless, of course, we went out mobile to the dealers.

Further many of the detailers I have sold extra service systems too, such as paint touchup are not now using the system because they have no time between detailing and paint touchup.

May I ask you what your gross sales per month might be?

As for Right Look's video, if it worked for you then it was the best decision. However, I have never found it difficult to obtain information and help from the paint distributors or manufacturers.

That is what is interesting about this forum, everyone has a different opinion and different experience.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 20, 2003 05:20AM
<HTML>Phil...what type of system are you using to do t/u work...airbrush, squeegee, dabber or fine artist brush? Or some combination thereof? I do all of them and agree that a decent t/u can be done in about 20 minutes on a front end with moderated damage. Of course, the damage will never be invisible due to the fact that once the clearcoat has been breached, and the paint surface chipped, the only way to make it look like they were never there is to sand, prime, paint & clear the panel. It's hard to get the chips to gloss up properly. A lot depends on color, but I can get most of my chip repairs to where they're pretty much invisible at 3-5 feet. I sell the service based on the protection factor and the cost-savings. I make sure the owner knows ahead of time what he's getting and that the chips will always be more noticeable to him because he knows they are there, while most people won't even give a second look.

As for painting whole fenders, you've got to be very careful, especially with many of today's pearl (3 stage) effects. As it is, with most metallics, you'll have to blend into the next panel to get uniform color appearance. With pearls, you may have to paint the whole side of the car!! Very difficult to blend and match. Any spray work I do is confined to bumpers and below the body side moulding. I don't do any mid-panel or upper panel painting. Just too time consuming and too great a chance of problems.

As for fading clearcoat, like anything else in painting, you've got to take the time to do the prep work to get high quality results. I haven't had one come back yet.

But I think once I open my shop, I'm going to stick to the s/u and scratch repair and farm the other stuff out. It's significantly labor intensive and takes a fair amount of time to do a bumper. Lot's of down time waiting for paint to dry.

As for your touch ups, Phil, do you include them as part of a full detail package or do you always sell them as an add-on service?

Thanks,

Rod</HTML>
<HTML>I agree with everything said about the bumpers. Some days is very lucrative , others nothing goes right. If I could do it over, I would do just touchups, or maybe PDR.</HTML>
October 21, 2003 03:11AM
<HTML>I'm thinking about giving carpet dyeing a shot as my next add-on.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 21, 2003 04:11AM
<HTML>I use a dab brush and I cuss a lot. Seems to work. The cutomer gets offende by my foul mouth and they never even notice the paint chips. Some days I just cuss and rant and rave...seem to work for me.

Okay, back to reality. I use a dab brush thingy. The hardener I use I think is gel coat, can't prove it but it is what I think. Hardens in a nano second. I have airbrush and flowpens....the end result still looks like a chip with paint in it. Before it was a white chip on a black truck, now it is a black chip an a black truck....but the black matches. I also sell em on the fact that today it is a chip, tomorrow there may be a hole there. A chip is better than a hole. Then I cuss.

I use the t/u as as a closer or as an upsale. As a matter of fact, all of my add ons are upsales or closers. And they are all about the same in price. I have used headlites as a way to get into the door. I see a nice car with crap headlights and offer to fix the lights so they are brighter, the car owner will agree at my sick-low price. Then I explain why the car needs a full detail and I throw the headlights in free. If they dissagree, I charge for the headlights and leave em a card. I do this with wet sanding, sratches, graffitti etc. That, too me is what having all of these extra services is really for. I know Bud is gonna shoot me but my profit line is not why I do these things. I like to fix problems. I find that when I help people, I tend to get what I want. I do not charge everyone I work for. Some I do for free, some i trade. Seems to work for me..most of the time.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login