Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

buffing a dirty car

Posted by mikesdetailsalon 
buffing a dirty car
August 11, 2006 07:30PM
An employee had his friend come to the job one day. The guy poured the swirl remover on a dirty hood and starting buffing with a wool pad. What are you thoughts.

I wash my cars before doing anything else. I explained this to him and he replied by saying that you will wash the car later therefore it is alright to buff it slightly dirty, add a polish/sealent, then wax and wash car. Thoughts please. The works at a Ford Delearship that gets paid by the car that he reconditions and gets ready for resale.

Sam Robinson
Mike's Mobile Detail Salon
1722 Paris Road suite C
Columbia, Missouri 65202
telephone: 573-356-3037
email: mikes.detail.salon@gmail.com
Re: buffing a dirty car
August 12, 2006 12:17PM
You should wash the car first, of course. People have gotten away with buffing first if thier compound was coarser than the dirt.

Washing cools the surfaces and removes dirt that would otherwise cause swirl marks.

The guy you write about is simply doing things wrong and not being caught but I'll bet his cars have a lot of swirls on them.

Doug Delmont

" A professional is one who knows and knows that he knows ".
August 13, 2006 03:34AM
Sam : I'd like to add that that guy's procedure sounds like a big waste of time. If you are preparing used cars for sale, the quick way is to wash the whole car at once, degrease and remove bugs and tar in the wash bay.
Clay if necessary. Dress exterior vinyl. Apply a one-step cleaner wax and work it in until you have the shine you want. Only if the finish needs it, should you spend time compounding and polishing. Furthermore, applying a sealant and topping it with a wax is for enthusiasts on other forums or for high-end retail work.
Doug
September 04, 2006 02:04PM
You should get this guy to read the direction on the back of the bottles . They all start out with Wash the Car first. Go figure ,I wonder why !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2006 02:06PM by Rollman.
September 04, 2006 03:50PM
Ive seen this done a lot.Actually it makes buffing harder, trying to remove dirt with scratches swirls and oxidation.
September 04, 2006 06:37PM
This is a classic example of how old methods die hard in the detail business.

Years ago, in the 50's and 60's when cars were painted with laquer and as we all know, laquer sprayed dull. It had to be buffed out with an aggressive 100% woven wool pad and at least a 600 grit compound to get it to shine.

Given that, it was ok to buff a laquer finish that was dirty because the grit on the car wash not as aggressive as the compound and pad that was being used.

However, auto manufacturers have not used laquer paint in years, in fact, even single stage enamels which sprayed shiny, but oxidized badly if not maintained, have not been used for at least 10 years. (there are a few single stage paints around).

So, with clear coat finishes you need a washed car; a poly/wool blend or foam cutting pad and not much more aggressive a compound than a 2000 grit light or micro-fine.

I know of detailers who still use the old technique of taking a pressure washer to the inside of the car. Carpets and seats. Get's the job done fast, right?

Not joking have seen detailers today doing this.

Bud Abraham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login