Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buffing and Wiping Waxes

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Buffing and Wiping Waxes
May 04, 2008 01:39AM
The latest thread on TR 3 Resin Glaze mentioned the difficulty the OP had in removing the residue after the wax had dried . I recall TR3 as relatively hard to buff off too. I also recall that Rain Dance was the overall winner the time Consumer Reports tested TR3 with other waxes.
Here is some general " Wax on/wax off " advice ( Apologies-I couldn't resist using that phase ! ) .
* If you are wiping or buffing with a towel in your hand, you can do what Meguiar's recommends . First, break the wax loose with straight back and forth motions. Then, flip to a clean portion of the towel and finish up with circular motions to bring out the gloss .
* Cotton towels normally remove wax residue faster than microfiber ones . Use whatever you prefer .
* You can fold a standard detailing towel into fourths, which gives you eight separate clean surfaces to work with. Sometimes you can wipe down an entire car with one towel .
* Some waxes are easier to remove after they have dried completely. Others must be removed wet or only after hazing up.
You can use an orbital buffer with a cotton or micro bonnet . You can put a bonnet over a foam cutting pad on a PC DA Polisher and use it to buff wax .
You can also place a towel under the PC's pad and hold onto it to keep it from whipping around and off. DVDs from Griot's and Show Car Garage show ways to do this .
Link to detailing library : [www.detailassociation.com]
Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 02:02AM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login