Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Where Do You Buy Your Detail Chemicals

Posted by buda 
Where Do You Buy Your Detail Chemicals
February 08, 2008 06:59AM
There has been a lot of conversation about detailing chemicals on the phorum so I am asking you professional detailers, not those who are weekend warriors or car enthusiasts: "WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR DETAILING CHEMICALS?"
Re: Where Do You Buy Your Detail Chemicals
February 08, 2008 02:37PM
I purchase my detailing chemicals from varied sources and they include

Professional Manufacturers/distributors/jobbers -
On-Line sites and from trucks that vist our store
Car Care Enthusiasts Product sites
Harley Davidson store
Auto zone
Supermarket
Kitchen cook ware stores
Local Janitorial companies
Home Depot
Automotive Paint Supplier
Automotive Parts stores
others
March 08, 2008 04:37PM
I too buy from varied sources.

Cleaners and basic products (Invisible Glass, Lexol ): Autoparts store
Waxes, some products, buffer pads: Southern Detail Suppliers

I found the autoparts store to be cheaper and more convenient on some things than the detail supplier, but on others its reversed.
March 08, 2008 07:08PM
Why don't you purchase all your chemicals from dedicated detail chemical companies such as Auto International, Car Brite; Auto Magic, Pro; Ardex, etc?

Why do you buy retail products from auto parts stores, discount stores, etc?

Regards
Bud Abraham
March 09, 2008 10:21PM
Some products that I prefer, such as Invisible Glass, are not carried by my local detail supplier. I'm sure I could mail order or buy in huge bulk, but for the time being its cheaper and more convenient to get some products, such as all purpose cleaner, from autoparts stores.
March 09, 2008 11:40PM
Understand, and would point out that Invisible Glass is a professional product I believe made by Stoner>

Regards
Bud Abraham
March 10, 2008 12:18AM
UptownDetail
I too buy from varied sources.

Cleaners and basic products (Invisible Glass, Lexol ): Autoparts store
Waxes, some products, buffer pads: Southern Detail Suppliers

I found the autoparts store to be cheaper and more convenient on some things than the detail supplier, but on others its reversed.
Thanks for "promo" Bud!

Unfortante that most of those just geting into the business have no idea of what the products or who Automotive Internationa are.

Our "brand" or such is not Automotive International, but ValuGard.

Not a "big deal", since the majority of our customers are the vehicle manufacturer's and their dealerships, port operations, rail heads, etc.

Automotive International is not well known to the average detailer, nor the enthusist's market, as they are not our target market, unlike the Zanio's, the Mequiar's, the Mothers, who are more "enthuists" oriented in their efforts.

In the market we focus on, 3M is our biggest competitor.

As you are aware, Bud, we manufacturer many products, under the "brand" names for GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc,)MotoerCraft, MoPar, Good Wrence, etc) following their engineering?health/safety world wide, groups, testing and approvals of the selected products and the approved usage of the products.
March 10, 2008 01:27AM
Ketch

Thanks for the clarification Was not sure if you sold under the AI name of ValuGuard. I knew that was your brand name, but was not sure which name you marketed.

In any case, I would like to see detailers buying from the legitimate manufacturers rather than retail products.

Bud
March 10, 2008 02:45AM
Could not agree more, Bud!

Let's put it this way, for the new one's to the professional detailing business, or are attempting to enter the business.

They have a question, a concern, something they are not sure of how to address, a concern that may "cost" them a lot of money if they don't do things correct

If they do the wrong process, without knowledge of just what a chemical product may or may not do, the damaging results may just put them out of business before they really get a chance.

These new people are only looking at the "price' of a product, believing that it may do what they require, and "if either doesn't do what they require or worse yet, damages the customer's vehicle, which they are responsible for making right, they have to assume the cost of correcting that damage.

In some circumstances, it may not be am expensive failure, meaning they must pay for the mistake, or in others, it may be 'very expensive" to make right.

Whom are they to call, to talk with, to help them resolve the concern?

Who is going to guide them to making the correct decision, regarding the dealing with any concern?

Do they understand that the person or company they are asking for guidence from, should be those who are well known and respected, for years, in the detailing business?

We are old timers, with a few decades of this business under our collective belts, which is much different than the "website' operators, who seem to be unable to substansiate their time, background or true experience, in the business.

I am sure that some of the younger one's attempting to come into the detailing business have found it necessary to question "who is this person telling me what to do and what is their background, where are they, etc", and then when they can find nothing but "lip service", not one bit of documentations, etc, back off of believing anything those people have to say.

I doubt that the products, purchased from "Big Lot's", from the Dollar Store, have people they can make a phone call to, for any answers as to what to do or not to do with them.

Cheap is just that, "CHEAP", and part of offering products that are cheap, means these sort of companies are not putting into the price of their products, the added cost of "customer support" testing of the nature of toxology, carcenigenic, etc, or having a person on the other end of the phone or internet, which knows anything about the product, how to use it, how to aid the buyer in utilizing it.

Just somethings you and I know, but then neither of us are new to professional detailing, or the business world in general.

The internet is great on one side, however, it also allows anyone with a computer, the ability to pass themselves off as an "expert".

That is "dangerous", for it only allows the "wantabe's" an opportunity to build their ego's and do harm to many people who are seeking real answers to their needs.

Ketch
March 21, 2008 02:21AM
Whoa!!!

A large number of days have passed since my post regarding the use of "logic" regarding visitor's here and their choices of products, and why they may chose them.

In "NO" way did I intend to provide post that may or may not, stop visitor, detailers, from posting, or more important, "taking part" in any discussion.

If all you care to do is to look in and read, that's fine.

However, do not be intiminated by whatever I have posted.

Like Doug has always presented, this is a forum for those who come in, read, to have an opportunity to learn and get responses from your posted questions.

Not all of us agree, a good part due to our varied business, experiences, etc in the world of detailing.

Hope all who visit, and read, and wish to post questions, opinions, etc, will start doing so.

Ketch
(Grumpy-and I am old, experienced, so, yes I may be Grumpy, like your grandad)
March 31, 2008 08:25PM
I think all the info on here is great!
I have been detailing for 18+ years now and since I dont live in Seattle anymore I have to hunt and peck for supplies.

Thanks for all teh input I have read over time I do appreciate it alot!

Jason

PS HI IM NEW and I own Exile AutoWerks in La Grande Orygun
April 02, 2008 10:33PM
Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I have been an Auto Detailer for 15 years now. I have tried so many different kinds of products over the years. The best detail products I currently use are from Flash auto detail products. They manufacture thier own products and they also carry Malco products. They are a small company but they have some very powerful products. Saves me alot of time and makes my job alot easier.

John
April 04, 2008 12:31AM
Jason and John :
Welcome aboard. Hope you'll post some of your ideas and observations in future threads.
Doug
April 14, 2008 04:46PM
I've had great luck with Guardsman Leather Care Kit. It includes the Fenice Leather Protector from Italy that I read about on a Ferrari site.
[dinettemart.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login