Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What the heck is a "full detail"????

Posted by Superior Shine 
What the heck is a "full detail"????
March 27, 2005 06:23AM
<HTML>I get asked all the time ,"how much for a full detail?"

To be honest I have not real idea what a "full detail" is.

When we detail a car we clean everything. We might clean an area more on a dirtier car but we clean it all.

Also, do other pros get asked "how much?" and people expect an answer without giving anymore information?

HEY DOC, I AM NOT FEELING GOOD. HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO CURE ME?

or call a diner - HOW MUCH FOR LUNCH?</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: What the heck is a &quot;full detail&quot;????
March 27, 2005 03:32PM
<HTML>All the time Joe. My favourite - "how much for a detail?". My response - "what exactly are you interested in having done?". "You know - detailed...!". Idiots I tell you. This is going to come off as sexist but women are the worst too.</HTML>

March 27, 2005 05:36PM
<HTML>I hear you. I have taken that kind of question as a cue for me to explain what we do and what one could expect to pay.

So you have the clients that listen and make a choice based on the information I just told them BUT-

you have the ones that want to hear a price, PRICE PRICE PRICE.

When I get one of those and know it, I ask them which is most important to them price or quality. I ask because we do super high quality work but we charge more than the average auto detailer in the area. That weeds them out right there. If they love their car that will sell them and most will book right then.</HTML>

March 27, 2005 07:45PM
<HTML>I got rid of my menu pricing for this very reason.

If someone wanted one package they would always want to add or delete something then ask...."OK, now how much is it?"

Man I wanted to bang my head against the wall...it's like you can't win. Now when asked, "How much does it cost for a detail?" I reply with, "Well how far in detail do you want to go?"

This opens dialogue and usually allows me to explain just what "detailing" is and why the cost varies.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
March 27, 2005 09:43PM
<HTML>That is what an inspection form, used properly, with potential clients is for.

You don't go to the doctor, your attorney, your CPA, etc and not expect to have your concerns "diagnoised", you expect it!

Otherwise, as you have been exposed to expect, you have doubts.

Anytime, most people, have to spend money, they wish to know what they are getting and why they are paying a price.

If this industry, would start to use proven sales techniques, to "work" the customer, it might be a little bit easier to get the point across to the potential client of just what the services are, and why they cost what they do.

There will always be a high percentage of potential clients, who have no real idea of what their expectations are, when it comes to the services that this industry provides.

After all, they are bombarded with Mr. Auto Clean, Mequiar's, Tenneco's Dupont products, etc, that make it look "ALL SO SIMPLE", but are not real world.

It is up to the members of this industry to "show and tell", and to do so, it is required that we get their "attention".

Take the time to be professional, just as that doctor, attorney, CPA, or better yet, the Service Advisor at the dealership, to diagnois, to explain, to gain their confidence in what the true professional's of this industry may offer.

By the way, Joe, this is not directed at you, alone, but all the pro's that make a living in this industry.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 28, 2005 12:24AM
<HTML>Joe:

People ask that question simply because they do not know what else to ask. Few people really know what is involved in detailing a car because every detailer does something different.

There are a number of mistakes that detailers make, in my opinion:

1. Assume the customer knows what they want. They might think they know what they want, but we are the professionals and must diagnos what the car needs. They may choose not to buy what the car needs but we need to show them what the car needs.

Is that not what a mechanic does? A doctor? A dentist? A collision repair shop?

2. Post prices - how can you price if you do not see the car?

3. Assume the customer understands what detailing is?

WHAT IS A FULL DETAIL?

Since you asked the question why don't we all here come to a common answer.

Keep in mind a few years ago when you talked about detailing a car it meant in and out, including engine and trunk, front to back, top to bottom.

Remember, the service was done for or by the auto dealer to make used cars ready for sale. That was/is a complete detail.

However, there are many of you detailers who say you do a FULL DETAIL, but choose not to clean engines. Is that a full detail? In my mind it is not.

There are some detailers who include the trunk as part of an interior detail. I do not believe that this is part of the interior.

So, for further discussions let us define a FULL DETAIL as the following:

1. Cleaning of the engine, engine compartment and underside of hood.
2. Hand cleaning of wheels
3. Cleaning of all jambs
4. Removal of all asphalt on the body
5. Washing of exterior of the car
6. Cleaning and shampooing of the trunk
7. Complete cleaning and shampooing of the interior including headliner
and dressing of all leather and vinyl; windows and scent
8. Buffing, polishing and waxing of paint (as needed)
9. Dress all exterior trim and tires
10. Clean exterior windows.

Can we all agree that this is a FULL DETAIL.

Again, keep in mind that people are not necessarily price conscious when they ask for price, they just ask because they do not know what else to ask you. They want you to think they know what they are asking about so you do not take advantage of them. That is why they will call several detailers to get prices. That is where the confusion comes in because some detailers may be cheaper than you and others may be higher. That really confuses the customer.

The good detail customer is not price conscious, but they will ask price to see where you business stands in relation to others they may have called or used in the past.

Do not assume right away they are price conscious. Price conscious people generally do not buy detailing services. They wash their own car; cut their own grass; clean out their own gutters and paint their own houses.

Hope you get the point. Be very helpful and enthusiastic with these people, let them feel your knowledge and capability. Most will pay, if they won't that is OK. Maybe next time.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS.</HTML>

buda
Dan
March 28, 2005 04:55AM
<HTML>My approach is laid back and honest. I tell them right off the bat, we are not the cheap service and to expect slightly higher prices than usual. I then compare our services with the typical other shop, without badmouthing, there is a time and place for the "other shop". Some issues we stress are safe chemicals, no carpet residue, paint correction, no cheap products, no shine for 1 day products, etc... etc... Then I give a price range ex. $175-$300 and an average price for their particular vehicel and year. If they dont bite, then they cant afford it or arent value driven buyers. If you stick with that, It might take you longer to get a solid client base, but once you do, your clients are life long friends and customers.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
March 28, 2005 05:26AM
<HTML>Dan:

Why start with a negative? Why not simply tell them, "do you have the car here? Can we look at it?

Then begin by asking relevant questions. Do you plan to keep the car or sell it? When was the last time it was detailed? Do you garage it at night, or park it outside? During the day do you park it outside or inside? Has it ever been buffed out?

When at the car start to point out the things wrong with the paint. Then open the door and ask about the interior.

By selling to the need of the car you present yourself as a knowledgeable person in your field and during the relevant question you show them you are professional.

Then when you see the needs of the car try to build the sales ticket in terms of what the car needs.

Then close the sale.

You see, with this approach PRICE has never come into the picture at all. You have sold yourself; you have questioned the customer so that they have an idea of how well they have or have not taken care of the car. And finally you point out the needs of the car. When you mention price you have already established need.

Just my idea.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 28, 2005 01:31PM
<HTML>Excellent Bud!

It is more than just jumping in with a price to get the business.

The folks should look at the way other services, even car dealers, get people to purchase.

"Only 3 Vigara SL's, at 0 % 60 month financing, $100.00 below invoice!"

Now, that get's the potential customer in, and they do sell the "vehicle" at that price, but then the service contract, finance papers, accessories, etc, and the dealer makes his needed profit.

Not that a detailer has to go that far, just using it as an example of the part of the business that actually drives the detailing business.

Detailers should hope and pray everyday, that car dealers sell lots of vehicles, as they are the ones that fill the pipe line that creates the business opportunites for detailers.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Dan
March 28, 2005 03:30PM
<HTML>Bud, that makes a lot of sense. I will try that one and dance around price unless it is absolutely needed. Thanks!

Dan Draper
March 28, 2005 03:47PM
<HTML>Dan, et el:

You do not have to "dance" around the price at all. Simply sell to the need of the car as well as sell your knowledge about the cosmetic needs of the car and your ability to perform the services.

When a person needs a heart operation what do they do, try to find the best heart surgeon around. A smart patient would question the doctor on his ability and especially who some of his successful patients were and how many of these surgeries had he performed.

Same deal here, even though that may not be on the customer's mind, you can do a great deal to prove why you are the "best" in town.

If they believe you are the best in town, price is not even in the equation. You sell, sell, sell need, value and your ability and then when the price is quoted it is not a factor.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 28, 2005 05:43PM
<HTML>Dan,
Finally making the addition change of the Trunk Area to the Inspection form on our site.

Should be up today, that way you and others have an Inspection Form, you can print from our website to use in your business, for customers.

This is one of the main steps to a sale of services to a new customer.

Just like the doctor, the service advisor, etc, you have a document to work from that show the potential customer what needs to be done, and in a way that will help them to understand what a "full detail" is.

Hope it helps you.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
March 29, 2005 01:26AM
<HTML>Many poeple here do ask 'how much is full detail' . I simply respond by letting them know the price depends on the year of the car, its size and when last it was detailed. Though, I've a service Menu I do indicate that it's all starting prices beacause of the reasons I just mentioned. on my service menu I've Basic full Detail which does not include the following: Engine compartment, paint correction including and not limited to swirls, scratches, oxidation, water spots on paint and windows. This services starts at 125.00.
My extended full detail includes all of the forgoing..pretty much everything Bud mentioned and it starts at 200.00 for most cars SUV 250.00

I also offer full exterior detail service which includes: wash,Wheel and wheel well cleaning, removal of tar, clay, mild compounding{if needed} otherwise polishing, wax/sealant.Trim dressing, windows cleaning and engine detail. i typically recommend this service to folks with battered exterior finish or whose main concern is exterior. With my adaptive detailing service, customers can pick services that meet their needs and we charge accordinly, the minimum being 50.00.</HTML>
March 29, 2005 01:43AM
<HTML>Samuel:

You have so many exceptions to your prices why post prices in the first place? All it does when you change a posted price is make the customer think you are trying to "bait and switch" them and it makes them mad.

The point is that you should never make price an issue at least not in this business since we need to sell to the need of the car and the value we provide.

However, when you post prices all you are doing is giving the customer a chance to say "NO" before you even talk to them. And, it is proven that 80% of the people will say no if you give them price first.

You have said nothing that convinces me that you should post prices.

Why do you post prices? I see no benefit.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Dan
March 29, 2005 02:14AM
<HTML>Bud, I do understand that, but sometimes you can sell sell sell, and not get anywhere because the customer is close minded to quality, they associate detailing as if it were on par with getting an oil change, this shop charges $40 for a synthetic oil change and this shop charges $33 for an oil change, that type of thing.

70% of my phone calls dont involve price right off the bat, but when I get a customer that asks for price as their opening statement, I kindly ask them the year and make, and when they say a 1995 cadilac, I just give them the damn price ($250-$350) and hopefully they say that is too much and hang up, because who wants to do these cars with creatures coming out of them they are so dirty? Especially when you can do a mercedes instead, for people that appreciate hard work.

The people that ask for price right off the bat dont understand, period. I am after the customer that is already somewhat educated about detailing, you know, they had a detailer or are tired of their detailer because of lack of quality.

I think Bud, that owning a detail shop like you did, is much different than some mobile operations. We can pick and choose our work, the people are usually upper middle class, and are already used to getting detail work. Seems you had to do a lot of "educating" while you ran your detail centers. Am I right? Just my 2 cents.

Dan Draper
Dan
March 29, 2005 02:21AM
<HTML>Ron,

You know what, that is a good idea, and an idea that I have tried in the past to follow through with. I used to use an inspection sheet, its very similar to the one on my website under services, for some reason unknown to man, I just stopped using them. I just tell them the price after seeing the condition and that depends on how many steps the paint needs, are the headlights dull, does the carpet need extracting instead of just a simple shampoo, etc... That could work for people that are more difficult to sell.

Dan Draper
March 29, 2005 02:26AM
<HTML>Dan:

We all have our opinions, but selling detailing services is no different than selling anything. If you make price an issue it is an issue.

Customer's ask price because they do not know what to ask. I do it all the time as a consumer when I do not know what something is worth. I get a range of prices and then I learn what the market price is for a product or service.

I call 4 companies to get my concrete tile roof cleaned. They all were within $100 of each other, from $1500 to $1600. After getting the price I determined who was the most reliable and professional company.

What I used to do with people who asked price on the phone was simply to say, "Are you looking for price or quality?"

Then went from there.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
March 29, 2005 04:06AM
<HTML>Bud,-"-What I used to do with people who asked price on the phone was simply to say, "Are you looking for price or quality?"

That’s exactly what I do. You have to say it nice or it maybe taken as being cocky.

This how it goes, client -- how much do you charge for a full detail?

Me -- I need to ask you a few questions first to make sure that what are the right kind of auto detailers that will meet your needs. My first question is what is more important to you price or quality. The reason I ask is that in the auto detailing industry there are no set standards. Each and every detail company sets their own and when compared to the average auto detail company in the area you will find that our standards exceed what the other guys are putting out. In other words you will pay more with us but I guarantee you will get exceptional service.

Then I wait for their answer.</HTML>

March 29, 2005 02:41PM
<HTML>Clients who call for pricing are requested to come into our location for a complete evaluation in order to determine condition and scope of work.

I have never had menu pricing and this has worked well for me.

My definition of a full detail includes exterior and interior (absolutely NO ENGINE)

Engine is an up-sell and requires always SIGNED waiver.
Some people want the top of the engine cleaned some specifically want the bottom to find engine leaks.
Some people want the engine detailed thoroughly.
This gives me an opportunity to either discount the price of regular engine cleaning, charge the regular price, charge more for detailing or toss it in to seal the deal.

<There are some detailers who include the trunk as part of an interior detail. I do not believe that this is part of the interior.>

I always include the trunk since I believe it is an interior compartment and clients like the idea that everything is removed including the spare tire. It is an inducement to purchase the service
Door jambs are always cleaned on all interior and exterior detail. (Presentation ! Presentation!)
I also give a complimentary hand wash with all interior details and interior vacuum and minor wipe down with all exterior details - Clients are more apt to tip my guys for the extra service but it makes the client feel good that you have given him extra

Asphalt and bonded contaminants like tree sap, road paint etc.
These obviously should be removed during the exterior detail but should not be included free if there is a lot. These services should be classified under speciality services an additional charge should be affixed for the time it will take to remove. I actually charge 2 separate prices 1 to remove the contaminants and + 2 detailing to refinish the vehicle since I have stripped off all protectants.

SORRY, I CANNOT AGREE THAT A FULL DETAIL WILL INCLUDE ENGINE cleaning SINCE I WOULD BE LOOSING MONEY.

So, for further discussions let us define a FULL DETAIL as the following:

1. Cleaning of the engine, engine compartment and underside of hood.
2. Hand cleaning of wheels
3. Cleaning of all jambs
4. Removal of all asphalt on the body
5. Washing of exterior of the car
6. Cleaning and shampooing of the trunk
7. Complete cleaning and shampooing of the interior including headliner
and dressing of all leather and vinyl; windows and scent
8. Buffing, polishing and waxing of paint (as needed)
9. Dress all exterior trim and tires
10. Clean exterior windows.>

Can we all agree that this is a FULL DETAIL.</HTML>
March 29, 2005 05:32PM
<HTML>Great post Gina! However, I do include the engine detailing in the "full" or "complete detail" definition. Since using SKID in the engine detail, any minor worry I may have had about damage has gone away.

In my opinion, it's fine and still being professional to say "We start at..." when speaking with a client on the phone. I do it everytime when they ask how much. This way, noone's time is wasted and they get a feel or ballpark figure. Always follow up with the "exact estimate will be quoted upon visual inspection" -- if they're interested. Works for me.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 29, 2005 06:51PM
<HTML>I try not to use the "start at" unless really really pressed...

I need to have the client come to my arena this is where I do best...I can evaluate, demonstrate, show work in progress and usually close the sale.

"start at" sometimes does not allow further discussion....</HTML>
March 29, 2005 07:16PM
<HTML>Scott,

You know how many times I've received calls from people asking for graphics on their cars? Tons. I'll say, "sorry, I really don't do that unless you have a boat and I'll put the name." And they say "I thought you do detailing." Then I say, "I do, what you want is decaling." Many many confused people out here.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 29, 2005 09:25PM
<HTML>Concours:

Your answer is reflective of the problems we have in the industry, no one detail shop agrees on what a detail is. That is why our customers are confused. They don't understand detailing in any case and then they get different definitions from different detailers.

In the past when you said, detail the car, it meant everything and among wholesale detailers that is what it still means today.

At the retail level there seems to be no single defitinion. So we should not use the phrases "we detail cars" or complete detail or detail packages. As it does not mean the same thing for everyone.

We should sell services like a mechanic, only what the car needs and bid the job on a time and materials basis.

REgards
Bud ABraham</HTML>

buda
March 30, 2005 02:06AM
<HTML> Brian:

I had to laugh when I read your post!!!

It must be a yankee thing!!

I remember growing up in a suburb of Phila Pa. and detailing on the side.

Everytime I told people what I did. they always brought up graphics.

Down here in Raleigh NC, only transplanted New englanders think its graphics.</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
March 30, 2005 03:54AM
<HTML>"Scott,

You know how many times I've received calls from people asking for graphics on their cars? Tons. I'll say, "sorry, I really don't do that unless you have a boat and I'll put the name." And they say "I thought you do detailing." Then I say, "I do, what you want is decaling." Many many confused people out here.

Take care,

Brian Angelucci"

We get that all the time too. I guess in the past a lot of people considered pinstriping to be "detailing". It doesn't help that a bunch of the decal guys, window tinters, dent guys etc.. all advertise in the yellow pages under "automobile detailing" either.</HTML>

March 30, 2005 03:56AM
<HTML>Consumers are NOT confused by me or the fact that engine cleaning is an additional service. They are confused by many detailers and carwashes who use the term detailing to mean car washing, hand wax and some kind of mediocre cleaning.

I am not at all concerned about the past or what other people want to do neither do i ue the term detail packages or complete detail in any part of my service listings...It is either an exterior detail or an interior detail or a combination of both.

Since my clients get it...why is your way the only correct way?

In every industry you pay for the services that are requested at the restaurant, the hair dresser and the mechanic. When I dine out and order appetiser, soup, salad and an entree, no one gives me desert and coffee for free. Why would I give away a service that makes me money? I would be foolish...

This business is about skillfully marketing services and creating value for what we do...upselling every part of a vehicle provides me an opportunity to raise my average cost per vehicle... This stragegy has not failed me and i have no plans to reinvent the wheel because you say so.

I am however, open to acquiring new skills and techniques if it can make me more money.</HTML>
March 30, 2005 02:11PM
<HTML>There was no intent in my posting to infer that "your" customers are confused about anything you do. Obviously, if they are your regular customers and do business with you on a regular basis they understand what you do, but, on the other hand, if they left your business or moved to another place and they did business with another detailer who did not do what you did they would be confused wouldn't they?

On the other hand, if the customers who frequent the detailers who do less than you do in their detail came to you would they not be confused by what you did as a part of your service and the higher price?

You may not be concerned about the past or anything else, but the reality is that the past and what other detailers do does affect your new customers and how they view detailing. That is all they have to go on, unless they have never been to a detailer before. I believe you have to be concerned, as a smart marketer, what the past and present market does.

Of course your clients get it, you are the only detailer they do business with, that is logical that they would. And, my way is not the only way, it is simply an opinion, nothing more. Why do you feel if I disagree with you that I am inferring that mine is the only way. It is nothing but Bud Abraham's opinion. Take it or leave it, nothing more.

There was no inference that you give the service of engine cleaning away. By all means charge for it. If the customer comes in an allows you to sell to the need of the car, then sell the engine clean if the car needs it.

What I do is sell to the need of the car and then suggest to the customer the appropriate package that will meet the needs of the car and give them a price. They can choose to purchase all or not. But the key is to sell to the need of the car.

We are in total agreement on how to market and sell detailing services. I do not know why you think what I said disagrees with your approach. I do not see it that way.

And certainly, I am not telling you what to do or how to do it. Does my difference of opinion threaten you? That is not the intent. I am only sharing my opinions. You can take them or ignore them.

One should always keep an open mind in business.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and please do not feel that I am trying to tell you or anyone else what to do in their business, just sharing opinions.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 30, 2005 03:07PM
<HTML>I certainly do not feel threatened by your approach yours was an opinion, that I disagree with. that’s all..

I think detailers need to think outside the box and be more creative when marketing, creating more avenues for additional revenue…while the past certainly affects how we do business for me it is just another hurdle that I must overcome with savvy and by being the best service provider in my community.</HTML>
April 07, 2005 06:02PM
<HTML>I agree w/ Bud, I believe a Detail should be what the car needs including the engine. To detail a car is to make it look as close to new as possible. Which is why the wholesale world gets an engine cleaning. you can not sell a car w/ a grease covered motor. Im not understanding how you upsell a detail? If a detail is what the car needs there is no upsell. ie: a month old BMW comes in for a detail, it will need wax, and maybe some leather conditioning in addition to the wash service. No need for tar removal or buffing or carpet shampooing. the motor probably doesnt even have dust on it. Now a 99 BMW comes in wants a detail, obviously it will not be the same amount of work or price. Now wouldnt you inspect the car and give prices accordingly? to clean and treat your leather it will be $X shampooing your carpet $X degreasing the top of your motor $X........? then let the customer have the choice of the services they want to purchase?

I Also believe Buds post was to try and get a standard. People that really detail know that its tedious and meticulous, but how do you explain that to the people that see a drive tru car wash offering details for $50. They are offering a word for $50 not a service. So we need to strenghten the word so everyone will expect the same thing when they see it. That is not to say we all charge the same thing for that word but that the public knows that the word detail means time, experience, and quality. Naturally price is assosiated w/ those so when they see Detail for $50 they will be suspicious. Recently I saw a sign outside of a convenience store, it read leather jackets for $29. Now common sence says it is not a quality jacket otherwise Wilson leather would not be getting $200+ for thier coats. we need the same recognition for Detailing.</HTML>

Vince
April 07, 2005 11:57PM
<HTML>Vince:

Appreciate your posting and agreement with my ideas. Although a person can run their business as they wish, a detail should include the engine, if it is dirty. If we can do not clean it where can the customer get it done? That is our job, as I see it.

And, a detailer should sell to the need of the car, then let the customer decide.

By the way, what carwashes sell for $50 is not intended to be a detail. They are selling a wash and maintenance wax or carpet shampoo. Most of them do not try to compete with a full service detail shop. Car wash operators know that their service is not the same as a professional detailer would offer.

By the way, I bought one of those $29.95 leather jackets, very nice. I saw it in a store and when I tried it on it fit and I was shocked at the price and had to look again. That's right, $29.95 marked down from 99.95.

Was so proud of my purchase until I was in San Francisco on Fisherman's Wharf and went into the tourist shops and saw many of my jackets for $29.95.

Oh well, it is a good jacket.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login