Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dry Car Washes

Posted by Keith Boyer 
Dry Car Washes
July 03, 2004 02:15PM
<HTML>I am a mobile detailer who is well aware of the con's that face this profitable industry. The biggest one seems to be surrounding water contamination, run-off and etc. In an effort to do some forward thinking I am starting to research waterless/dry wash systems. I am skeptical of them but I need to stay ahead of the competion and Big Brother. Anyone have any experiences with these types of systems? Any opinions?
Thanks for your input</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
Re: Dry Car Washes
July 03, 2004 02:29PM
<HTML>Unless you find something better than Dri Wash 'n Guard at this point the waterless wash concept will not work for professional detailers.

But you do not have to try and find some new technology all you have to do to wash cars in a mobile situation is either buy a containment mat for less than $2,000 or a vac-u-boom setup for less than $3,000, one time investment, and you have solved the problem.

It seems that mobile detailers feel they are not subject to incurring those expenses necessary to operate a legitimate business. In other words, if you want to operate a mobile detailing business you will need to incur expenses for a trailer; van or pickup; a generator; water tank; pressure washer; extractor; vacuum; buffer; orbital; chemicals; supplies, etc.

Why not a mat or vac-u-boom to contain and recover water. That seems to be one of the costs of doing business on a mobile basis in the USA. That is the way it is.

That one time investment is really inexpensive if one considers what it costs to get into other businesses.

A customer of mine is being told by the city of Sacramento that he will have to pay a one time fee of $100,000 for the right to use their sewer system if he wants to build a carwash. His alternative is to either pay the fee or purchase at a cost of about $45,000 a water reclaim system that will reduce the amount of water to be discharged into the sanitary sewer.

All businesses have costs they must incur to operate and what mobile detailers and washers are facing is stricter enforcement of environmental laws that say, "DON'T POLLUTE." And, that means you must contain the waste water you are generating.

In the past people on this forum were complaining that governments were not stopping home washing and now we see regulations being enacted to ban home washing, which, for a professional carwasher or mobile washer is a boon for business if you obey the laws.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 03, 2004 03:06PM
<HTML>Bud--
I appreciate what you are saying regarding the cost of doing business more than once I day I ustter to myself "That's the cost of doing business". I just want to explore the option and see if it is a viable option and if I can reduce my water use than thats a bonus for us all! I do value your opinion that you cant' touch the quality compared to traditional methods. Thanks</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
July 03, 2004 04:33PM
<HTML>Keith,

In my experience with Dri Wash n'Gard, it's only good as an instant detailer.

You'd probably spend more money on DWG in a year than what it costs for a containment mat.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 03, 2004 07:46PM
<HTML>As I have been researching this throughout the day I find that this can be an inefficiant product at best and yet there are people who swear by it.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
July 03, 2004 09:11PM
<HTML>You are finding out what most detailers and smart consumers realize, that is product, is a gimmick.

The name and the marketing has gotten people to believe that you can wash a dirty car with this product.

On the same vain there are car wash operators who spend $150,000 for a touchless roll over carwash that takes a minimum of 5 minutes to wash a car and that will not wash a real dirty car unless you use a brush or mitt before it goes thru the wash, and they too, "swear by these carwashes."

Examine the credentials of those who "swear by waterless wash."

Examine how the product is used?

As mentioned many times a favorite trick of the old folks was to wipe the car down with a rag saturated with kerosene to clean it. Worked great if the car wash not too dirty.

Kerosene is a lot cheaper than waterless wash by the multi-level marketing companies. We used to have a product that was the same as the multi level marketing products and we sold it for I think, $12.95 a gallon.

Quite a Difference.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
July 03, 2004 09:25PM
<HTML>Those who swear by it are the ones who are selling it, in most cases.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 03, 2004 11:07PM
<HTML>What about Quick and Easy wash from Protect All. It does a super job and you use very little water. Some pros use it in their mobile operations.</HTML>
July 04, 2004 02:02PM
<HTML>I've heard a lot of people rave about QEW although I've never tried it. Supposedly you can use it with only a gallon or two of water and not scratch your paint. I think that for extra dirty cars or for nasty wheels, wheel wells, and engines, you will need a pressure washer to do the job efficiently.</HTML>
December 05, 2007 05:55PM
What about this Optimum No Rinse ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2007 05:56PM by flexright.
January 11, 2009 02:31AM
I have said it before, Bud always bashes any waterless product. I have noticed that it is talked about more now than ever. The guys with the car washes and Us mobile guys always have to think out of the box. The EPA is getting tighter on run off and wash water. I still believe a waterless car wash can be done effectively without damage to the finish. I do believe water is needed for wheel wells,tires and rims.So waterless products have their limits and there place in the industry. ONR, Eco Wash, Dri Wash n Guard, No Wet, and all the other waterless products will remain in the industry,Bud. Face it times are changing. I do however think that the best wash is with water , a schmit,and a bucket. There's no better way to do it. Just better products to make ie easier.In the years to come I think there will be laws that require mobile and fixed to limit what is released into the system. Most states do it now,they're just not as strick everywhere. Big Brother is watching US all.
May 07, 2009 05:50PM
flexright-

Bud says that the Clean Water Act is federal and thus applies everywhere. That's why you need a containment mat or a Waterboom.

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login