Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

10,000 Grit Sandpaper

Posted by Bud Abraham 
10,000 Grit Sandpaper
March 30, 2004 02:56PM
<HTML>Have located a source for 10,000 grit sandpaper if anyone is interested. It seems to offer an alternative to clay for removing pollution; overspray and some light scratches.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Need to order a few dingees and some sealant,will call Anna tomorrow for scoop on 10,000 also! Thanks</HTML>
Re: 10,000 Grit Sandpaper
March 31, 2004 12:57AM
<HTML>10,000!?!?! 2000 grit is almost useless.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
March 31, 2004 01:24AM
<HTML>OK I give, what can be it used for?

Most paint will clog up 2000, so what would one use 10,000? To look fancy? Or to brag about there Gucci new high tech sand paper? I can do with a high quality compound whatever you can do with 10,000.
Heck I think cheap tolit paper is rated at 9,000 grit!!

I have color sanded to date over 300 completes (most going to concurs shows such as in pebble beach or auctions like in Scottsdale every year)
not to mention the hundreds of fenders, doors and panels that I have done for daily drivers for production shops.

So please enlighten me and my spray bottle.</HTML>

March 31, 2004 01:30AM
<HTML>Joe,

Lighten up dude! Bud said you could use it instead of claying.Why are you being so sarcastic?</HTML>
March 31, 2004 01:40AM
<HTML>Joe:

You seem to be looking for a fight of some type. I am certain you are a very good detailer with a great deal of experience.

If you are unaware of the benefits of the 10,000 grit sandpaper give me a call I would be happy to discuss it with you and answer all the questions you might have.

Bud Abraham
503 251 2955</HTML>

buda
March 31, 2004 01:43AM
<HTML>Mark:

When the word "sandpaper" is used it can mean different things to different people. I am sure that Joe is thinking of the 1500 grit paper he uses for typical wet/dry sanding of paint finishes.

As you stated, this paper is so fine it can be used much like clay to remove overspray; some surface pollution; and for some lighter scratches in lieu of buffing.

The material might be compared to the buffing pads that ladies and some men use to polish their fingernails to a high shine.

Thank you.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 31, 2004 01:48AM
<HTML>Sounds good to me Bud. Will the 10,000 grit sandpaper create any micro scratches? I'd like to have an alternative to claying vehicles.</HTML>
March 31, 2004 02:05AM
<HTML>Mark:

I would say that you probably would have to use a swirl remover after using the sandpaper. In fact you may still have to use a compound and then the sandpaper and then the swirl remover. It is hard to say what will work on what paint finish.

I think it is just another tool for a detailer to consider when doing his work.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 31, 2004 02:55AM
<HTML>I am getting weird insulting private e-mails from Bud. He post on her like he is the nice guy but e-mails me in a completely different tone.

You guys are only seeing one side of this. I understand it take two to tango so I will drop it.

Peace.</HTML>

March 31, 2004 04:41AM
<HTML>10 k is usless for any detail shop and waste of time and money</HTML>
March 31, 2004 04:50AM
<HTML>i agree with fernando 10k has no place in a detail shop (some people must be bored)</HTML>
March 31, 2004 04:57AM
<HTML>custom image-mich,

It would be hard to disagree with yourself. Why do you have two user names?

The 10,000 grit paper is the clay bar's replacement in some instances. It's also great as a scuff remover for paint, in place of using compound. Key marks by the door handle disappear quickly as well as some light scratches (not deep)

Have you tried it yet? I have and it's some good stuff. A bit expensive but compared to the clay bar, it's much cheaper.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 31, 2004 05:19PM
<HTML>In the bodyshop I used a plastic sandpaper. I'm not sure what it was but i don't think I would want 10 k paper. Although I haven't used it. Bud, it would be nice to hear a little more about it...</HTML>
March 31, 2004 10:46PM
<HTML>To be honest though, I found the 8,000 grit more effective.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 01, 2004 02:26AM
<HTML>Ryan:

Not be evasive, but what more would you like to know other than what I have said about it?

I personally have found it works in those situations mentioned and others who had samples also felt it worked.

Brian liked the 8,000 in his situation as it is obviously more aggressive, I would suspect.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
April 01, 2004 02:40AM
<HTML>sorry for the 2 user names my name is fernando from custom image our workers here at custom image made the same email address. they were repyling back also.</HTML>
<HTML>Hey Buda, what did you come up with on the 10,000 grit paper?? Can this be purchased in a precut form,I can use on my "Hutchins RO Sander". I'm using the hook/loop 1500 and 2000 grit pads now, when I water sand. My sander has the built in adj water pump to maintain water between the sand paper and the painted surface. 2000 grit was as fine of paper as our 3m dealer had to offer, that was precut to use on the RO.... Brandy !</HTML>
8,000/10,000 GRIT SANDPAPER REVISITED
May 01, 2004 03:03PM
<HTML>Looks like I have been blessed, found the source of the 8,000/10,000 paper overseas and not only that they can provide it in a disk form you can put on a D/A.

Will have some testing samples in the next few weeks and will keep you all informed as to performance and availability.

Thanks

BUD ABRAHAM</HTML>

buda
8,000/10,000 GRIT SANDPAPER REVISITED
May 01, 2004 03:03PM
<HTML>Looks like I have been blessed, found the source of the 8,000/10,000 paper overseas and not only that they can provide it in a disk form you can put on a D/A.

Will have some testing samples in the next few weeks and will keep you all informed as to performance and availability.

Thanks

BUD ABRAHAM</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Please email me with results and price....Im getting a little bored with no new breakthrough in technology in the detailing section!!!!!</HTML>
February 17, 2012 06:14PM
I need to order 10,000 grit sandpaper any body can give me site to place order please recommend to me.

Thank You!

Info@wwippi.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login