Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Water Spots

Posted by Zach 
Water Spots
December 30, 2001 06:20AM
Hey everyone, I just stumbled across this site so I will give it a shot. I have an emerald blue 2k1 Civic EX Coupe and I use Meguiars products on it. Yesterday, after several hours, I did a complete job on my car using Meguiars 3 Step paint cleaner, polish, wax. Well, on the flat surfaces on my car I have these spots, which I think are water spots, that are smaller than the size of a penny, but of great abundance on the hood, roof, and trunk of my car. I thought the paint cleaner would take care of the job, but it turns out that it didn't do a single thing to those spots. Could you all please give me a solution on how I can get rid of these spots on my car? It would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Water Spots
December 30, 2001 07:58AM
You might want to try a vinegar-water solution or a product called "Ducky"
that is found in boat dealers. I've had really good sucess with this product.
Just be aware that you'll have to rewax your car after using this type of
product
December 30, 2001 04:46PM
sounds like acid rain. the vinegar wash will work to a degree if they are fresh. chances are they will need to be removed by a trained detailer with a rotary buffer and the proper removal products. of course this means removing small amounts of your clear coat with the buffer to level the paint. these paints have a reputation for being soft-you may be able to do it by hand, but i doubt it. this acid rain effectsabout 98% of the cars in thisarea including mine! it is caused by an acidic waterdrop drying up on your paint. the waterdrop usually contains a small amount of contaminants (including acidic)and as it dries up it becomes even more concentrated as the water evaporates. add to this the temparature(warm- clearcoat usually more porous and soft) of the paint and the fact that the waterdrop is acting as a magnyfying glass as the suns rays penetrate through to the clear coat. now, i doubt seriously that all this comes from the sky! i think that the majority of this stuff is already on the paint finish and just becomes liquified. at least around here.
January 01, 2002 02:31AM
I had the same problem with my 2k1 MR2. I also did the same thing you did with the Meguiars products with no luck. Next I tried Meguiars Scratch X and that got rid of most of the water spots. I now use Zaino Bros. products and am amazed at the shine and finish of the paint. I've never seen anything like it. Good luck.
January 02, 2002 12:03AM
interesting to hear that scratch-x was helpful for this. i haven't tried this product for this.i honestly also don't have much faith in it and have found that it works better with a rotary buffer(not recommended per meguiars). but for a hand applied product it is a neat concept. i'll break it out in the next couple of days and give a few more tries at different paint problems. i'm not willing to say it sucks, but am on the border
Jay
January 05, 2002 04:16AM
I use Scratch X. Very impressed with the results. As far as Water spots...Very hard to get rid of. Especially in areas that are known for acid rain. I regularly wax my car, and yet they still are there. Keeping the car in the garage will help. In case you are thinking, don't wipe it down after rain, as it will scratch. Only suggestions that can offer. Nothing out there really protects well enough from acid rain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login