Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help!!!!!

Posted by Rebecca 
Help!!!!!
January 02, 2002 01:29AM
We just bought Chrome Rims. We tried Eagle One Chrome and Wire cleaner today. It made our rims Dull and left spots all over it.
Please if someone has a way to get this off I would greatly appreciate this!!!
Rebecca
Hoping I didn't ruin my rims today
Re: Help!!!!!
January 02, 2002 01:38AM
Depending on what brand of chrome cleaner & what form of it was such as paste,liquid, you haven't stated what kind?

Most likely what had happened was your chrome rims were clear coated & you had damaged them by using the wire wheel cleaner that contains a little portion of acid that actually does the cleaning on strictly for wire wheels only. The clear coated wheels have been etched & the problem is not repairable. Sorry to give you the damaged report. This is only the case if your wheels were clear coated which is the way I am taking it. You might use a little fine polish or fine rubbing compound. You cannot do any more damage that has already been done. If any one of these two procedures fail you & what you have is what you have.

The problem was using the wire wheel cleaner on clear coated wheels. Sorry for your loss.
January 02, 2002 01:58AM
It was Liquid...a sprayer.
It said on the bottle....CHROME AND WIRE.
We have some Turtle wax compound that we can try.
My husband called the company but of course they were not open today. We will try again tomorrow.
Do you think that going back and getting another wheel cleaner would help?
Thanks for the info
Rebecca
<<<<CRYING>>>>>
January 02, 2002 02:09AM
Another wheel cleaner will not do anything else for you. The liquid cleaner that you sprayed on was probably sprayed on the wheel dry? That makes the solution even stronger since using water would dilute it a little but the damage should of not have been so severe.

Also, if a cleaner was sprayed onto a warm wheel regardless of what type of cleaner, you could also get the same results that you have.

I really wish I would have know this all before you did your initial spraying of the toxic liquid. I stay away from all of the liquid cleaner due to the fact that I regulary clean wheels that range in the $400.00 to $600.00 a wheel. This is a costly mistake that we're unable to afford.

A quick test to see if your wheels are clear coated are as follows: Take a clean white rag & put a little chrome polish on it. Rub a small portion of the chrome wheel & look at the rag. It the rag appears to be black or grayish, the wheels do not have a clear coat on them. If the rag appears to be completly clean. The wheels are clear coated. Please advise to what happens with this test for further treatment.

You might want to purchase a large quanity of Kleenex.
January 02, 2002 02:28AM
Thanks for your help!! We now are trying to gulp down our mistake. The Rims were used and only cost us $175 total. We were pretty lucky this time.
My husband is not touching the rims until after he talks to Eagle One tomorrow. He is VERY upset that a spray ruined my Christmas gift. Yes your right I am needing a bunch of kleenex.
We just wasted money but atleast I still have my new car.
January 02, 2002 04:23PM
i'm kinda late on this one, but that spoke and wire is very strong acid wheel cleaner. you have to be very careful when using this wheel cleaner on anything, but is it usually safe for its intended application.(steel/chrome plated wheels et.-non-coated) it is usually never safe for aluminum or painted/coated wheels. some of the pro's buy the spoke/wheel and water it down. they work with it every day and have alot of practice. i still worry about the damage that i have done to my health by inhaling this stuff or allowing the mist to land on my skin.
January 02, 2002 04:50PM
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish with a damp terry cloth towel.
Cheap, effective and a good product.
Give it a try. Can't hurt.
d

DOBowden
January 02, 2002 07:54PM
Just an Update.
My husband called eagle One this morning and they knew exactly what he was talking about. So I guess this happens allot with this product.
This person said that they have a substance that they are sending to us to take this stuff off.
This person said after applying this then use only the A2Z all wheel cleaner on our Rims.
We were lied to from the person that sold us these rims. I guess they are polished Alum. rims.
I really hope this substance works on these rims otherwise my husband will be mad the rest of the year.
Thanks for all the advice
Rebecca
January 03, 2002 05:56AM
If the aluminum are fully polished & they do not contain a clear coat then yes they can be fully polished again & any blemish or haze or mark will come out. If they are clear coated then I would really doubt it if the material that they are sending you will have any other effect. Keep us posted with your new results. You concern is a matter to us!
Jay
January 05, 2002 03:59AM
I use Turtle Wax Wheel bright on my alloy wheels. Its safe for all surfaces. However, I use it only when the wheels are really dirty. I usually just use the soap and water from washing the car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login