Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teenager looking for guidance

Posted by Ben Hebert 
Re: Up Front... and Honest
March 17, 2006 12:01AM
<HTML>Ben:

There is no offense intended in my comments other than to make you realize that if you want to start a business, you must or should, do so with regard to the laws and principles of good business.

Like others, I commend your tenacity to start your own business and your desire to be an entrepeneur, but I do not encourage you to do this without giving you some suggestion doing it in accordance to the laws of the land and following good business principles.

Far too many in this industry feel that because they cannot afford a business licence; cannot afford insurance; cannot afford a proper water discharge system; cannot afford to pay Workers Compensation Insurance if they have employees; or pay employment taxes, IT IS OK.

My advise to you is that IT IS NOT OK. And, I would not encourage you to be in the business of detailing cars if you plan to short cut the laws.

If you are going to sell detailing services to the public you are a business and as a business you are obligated to do these things.

Anyone who would encourage you to start your business either out of your garage or trunk of your car not doing these things is giving you bad advise.

Certainly, you can do it, but it is not proper, and to all those who encourage BEN to start his business in violation of the laws and to ignore good business principles are hurting him and the detail industry.

Just my opinion.

Regards
Bud Abraham,</HTML>

buda
March 17, 2006 12:49AM
<HTML>Bud...

I suggest you lighten up on the kid. Think back to your own childhood... and that of your children. If what you suggest is for every high school kid who cuts a lawn... or shovels snow... or does a lot of other stuff... runs out and gets a business license, you need to step back and take a breath.

City Hall probably won't even issue that stuff to a minor living with his parents and still in school.

Yes, we all agree that professional detailers should respect and follow responsible guidelines, we're talking about a teenager launching a part-time business. Don't infer that his character is flawed by not following "the rules". Instead, be thankful that young people with healthy attitudes and drive are willing to step up and engage responsibly.

I'm delighted to see what Ben is doing... and offer him all the encouragement I can to bolster his spirit.

Insurance, permits, rigid legal interpretation? Isn't that a bit over the top?

Ben... feel free to contact me directly for all the help I can provide. You deserve it!

-Steve</HTML>
March 17, 2006 01:05AM
<HTML>Steve:

If you want to offer me advise on what I should and should not do, please do it in private.

However, since you have brought it up. I will not lighten up on the "kid."

This is serious business, this is the industry that most of us make our living with and it is simply not right in any way, shape or form to encourage people to enter into our industry violating the laws and ignoring good business principles.

That is why prices are driven down in detailing because there are a lot of Ben's out there who start their "detail business" with little of nothing and no expenses for the things that a legitimate detailer would pay.

Why do you think the detail business is what it is today? You know perfectly well, because anyone thinks with a shop vacuum and a can of wax they can be in the business. The entry cost is nothing to these people.

Because they cannot afford to do what is right, "it is ok". Well sorry it is not ok.

If you think so, that is your opinion. But allow me to have mine.

Ben, ask your father and mother if they want to liable for the fines you might incur violating the laws. Since you are minor they would be liable for any fines or cleanup charges that could be levied against you and your business for discharging waste water into the storm drain or on to the ground. They would be liable for any injury that someone might sustain at your business and they would be liable for any damage you might do to a vehicle you are working on.

Ben, I applaude your desire to own your own business, but you MUST plan your business on the basis of the laws of the land and sound business principles. This is not a game, it is business and if you want to start a detail business do it right.

As you are learning from the E-Myth, the business side of detailing is as important, if not more important, than the technical side. Part of the business side is doing things right.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 17, 2006 02:09AM
<HTML>Ben,

Are you looking to do this as a profession or as a side gig for extra cash before heading off to college, like lawn cutters and snow shovelers?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 17, 2006 02:25AM
<HTML>Absolutely no offense intended, Bud.
I apologize.

-Steve</HTML>
March 17, 2006 06:44AM
<HTML>When i was 20, i started my first own business, together with a friend.
we were just 2 years out of college, and had both been working hard to save money for the venture. Allthough not the detailing business at the time, there were still other regulatins and laws for us to follow.
Our plans did get hard pressured economically, because our ideas and dreams of what we wanted to put the money into, was partially cut down, by the other costs such as business licences, taxes, forms, legal fees, insurance and so on.
So we had tu cut back on a lot of things, to do it right, but in the end, we did get started on a lower budget, with less inventory, and a few more hours of hard work and worrying, but we did do it according to the laws and regulations, and we did get it going..

I agree, that you should do it right, and follow the principles of good business, even though it may have a negative effect the first months, years, of your venture.. youll be better off in the end..

RoB</HTML>
March 17, 2006 01:49PM
<HTML>Ben,

Have you read Entrepreneur Magazine's Start Up Your Own Automobile Detailing Business? It is an excellent resource, and it walks you through all the things you need to know if you are going to have a serious business- business plan, financing, taxes, registration, resources, etc.

I am just starting out on my own too, and I found this book an excellent add-on to this forum. I also got my state's Small Business Association's Guide To Starting A Small Business; it is another good one to read!

If I can be of any help, let me know!
Anne</HTML>
March 17, 2006 05:21PM
<HTML>THE TOP 33 POSTED REASONS WHY IT CANNOT BE DONE.

1- correct (and costly) equipment, and the right training

2- insurance

3- experience of 3-5 years

4- experience to deal with customers, deal with the problems

5- read every book you can find on business and marketing

6- struggle to find the business

7- trying to manage other people

8- you would need 48 hours in a day

9- you are looking at 2-3 years before you got the thing running smoothly

10- If you call yourself a detailer and then can't deliver on basic services expected of a detailer, you will have disappointed customers.

11- Doing vehicles for a firm like Carmax will give you a lot of "bad" habits, incorrect methods, etc.

12 you need to know what the laws are relating to that business...
things like an assumed business name, corporate registration, business license.

13- what and how to do with waste water

14- you need a business plan

15- You need MONEY.

16- you do need to read the E Myth

17- One of the Pro's on here may give you an interview and hire you thus you would learn the right way, and not develope any bad habits along the way.

18- How can you claim to be a professional detailer and not have the equipment necessary to perform professional detailing?

19- What equipment are you going to be able to afford?

20- What you ought to consider doing is washing and waxing cars and vacuuming and cleaning windows.

21- Without a buffer and soil extractor it is not possible to be professional.

22- use the good advise from the Pro's on this web site before making any bad decisions

23- Not having proper insurance is the biggest mistake you could make

24- and what about the car you damage when you are working on it?

25- if you want to start a business, you must or should, do so with regard to the laws and principles of good business.

26- cannot afford a business licence

27- cannot afford insurance

28- cannot afford a proper water discharge system

29- cannot afford to pay Workers Compensation Insurance or pay employment taxes

30- I would not encourage you to be in the business of detailing cars if you plan to short cut the laws.

31- your mother and father would be liable for the fines you might incur violating the laws

32- you MUST plan your business on the basis of the laws of the land and sound business principles.

33- you should do it right, and follow the principles of good business, even though it may have a negative effect the first months, years, of your venture.

THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY IT CAN BE DONE.

1- 'You Can If You Think You Can'</HTML>

March 17, 2006 06:07PM
<HTML>Steve:

You are always a gentleman, thanks for the apology, although none was needed. We always agree to disagree.

How did you like the Italian resturant in the Hilton. Saw you there with some people.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login