Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

detailing on graphics

Posted by turboman 
detailing on graphics
January 07, 2002 12:57PM
Greetings everyone, I hope all had a nice holiday. I took some needed time off......recently I had a car come in with some graphics on the side doors and fenders. They were of the decal type, however they looked like paint. I didn't use any machine buffer on this car, I just cleaned and waxed it. I wondered what you guys do in the event you have to use a rotery. Do you work around the graphics? can the decal be waxed? I found that some of the wax does get caught in the seems of the decal making it hard to remove. Need to use a small hair brush to get out the dried wax. Thanks guys...p.s. Todd...I just got that new wax (p21s) for german cars....thats all I will use now on Mercedes and BMW's. and the feedback on micro-fibre towels with quick detail spray works GREAT as the last step.......you guys are da best!!!! oh I almost forgot...GO BEARS! my mission for 2002 is too detail every car on the road!!! ( or at least a couple a week)....

Re: detailing on graphics
January 07, 2002 02:26PM
Some vinyl graphics *can* discolor if:

a) the surrounding paint is not clearcoated, and the wax/polish deposits pigment into pores in the vinyl. (especially with light colored graphics on a dark car).

b) the vinyl has embedded dirt, that is unequally removed by unequal application of the polish/wax either chemically or abrasively depending on the type of cleaners in the wax.

c) a harsh cleaner is used that 'bleaches' the color out of the vinyl (also applies to mild cleaners on inferior grade vinyl with poor color fastness).

d) harsh abrasives have ever been used on the vinyl causing scratches that will trap dirt/pigment.

For the most part, it is OK to use a non-abrasive wax/polish on vinyl graphics without causing harm (other than the wax residue along the edges).

Just avoid harsh chemicals and abrasives, and stick with a pure wax/polish and you should come out 'looking good.' ;-)

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login