Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

$$$$$

Posted by JonJoy20 
Re: $$$$$
September 23, 2006 05:23PM
If you have done your marketing research you would find that you have no way of knowing if a vehicle after 6 months needs another full detail.

Further, why would you try to convince the customer that they need a full detailing when they do not.

What is proven in this industry is that "Maintenance" programs do, in fact, work, with upper end customers. They want their vehicle taken care of, do not want to do it themselves; do not want to worry about it; and will pay to have someone else do it.

As a past customer of your business, you have their confidence, all you have to do is give them a reason to continue to come back.

That is done by selling maintenance programs.

To try and sell a smart customer another full detail at full price is not something I think is smart marketing. They did not fall off the "turnip truck."

You got to sell them something that makes sense.

Bud Abraham
September 23, 2006 05:23PM
If you have done your marketing research you would find that you have no way of knowing if a vehicle after 6 months needs another full detail.

Further, why would you try to convince the customer that they need a full detailing when they do not.

What is proven in this industry is that "Maintenance" programs do, in fact, work, with upper end customers. They want their vehicle taken care of, do not want to do it themselves; do not want to worry about it; and will pay to have someone else do it.

As a past customer of your business, you have their confidence, all you have to do is give them a reason to continue to come back.

That is done by selling maintenance programs.

To try and sell a smart customer another full detail at full price is not something I think is smart marketing. They did not fall off the "turnip truck."

You got to sell them something that makes sense.

Bud Abraham
September 23, 2006 10:11PM
When you are already an established detailing business there is really no need to try to convince the customer of anything. All you need to do is keep in touch with your customers on a regular basis. It's more like a suggestive marketing approach. A constant reminder for the customer to consider to take action. It is not selling. It is simply a well thought out marketing strategy that works.

Mailing out seasonal reminder post cards and newsletters help to bring those good customers back. It is not a matter of selling them something they don't need, it is more about doing what you need to do to stay in the forefront of the customer's mind. That way, when they are ready to have there car detailed, they know who to call.

Sometimes, it's good to do things a bit differently than what most other detailing business owners are doing in the industry.

September 24, 2006 12:38AM
Bud,
I agree that dealers want low prices. I was simply pointing out that some dealers also want meticulous work done. One used car dealer I know has a detailer spend about three days on each car because he believes show car quality increases the selling price by up to 1,500 dollars. I should mention that the detailer is an employee of this dealer and is paid a salary.
Doug
September 24, 2006 03:23AM
Frank:

You seem to be chaning your tune now. First you were saying "sell another full detail in 6 months at full price" now you are saying suggestive marketing, keep in touch, etc. etc.

Which is it please, I am confused as to what you are saying should be done.

Bud Abraham
September 24, 2006 11:00AM
Sorry for the confusion Bud. Actually, I never said sell another full detail. What I did say was, Doesn't it make more sense to promote a complete detailing every six months at full prices? The key word here is promote, not sell. Just about everything I do is to promote my business. To some that may sound like selling. To me it's totally the way I go about marketing my business. Hey, I guess I never really wanted to become a salesman.

It's all about conditioning your customers to bring there vehicle back more often. And to get them back in six months or sooner for complete details at full prices.

Personally, I would rather send out periodic gentle reminders, aimed at bringing the customer back in for a complete detailing at full price, rather than selling a maintenance plan where the customer brings their car back to have their paint resealed for $70.
September 24, 2006 01:16PM
Thank you.

Bud A
September 29, 2006 04:31AM
From what I learned in my business and finance classes, the 80/20 rule applys like this: 80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your efforts. Therefore, you should focus on those 20% of efforts to maximize your revenue generation and discontinue the rest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login