Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spraypaint Problem

Posted by JonJoy20 
Spraypaint Problem
September 19, 2006 08:41PM
I have just bought a car and the owner before me tried taking care of scratches and over his bondo job with spraypaint. Any opinions on getting rid of the marks or improving the look of the car without getting a new paint job?
Re: Spraypaint Problem
September 19, 2006 08:53PM
Not much you can do with a vehicle that has been painted with a spray can of paint. Maybe you can take some paint thinner and remove the spray paint and have the vehicle painted properly.

Bud Abraham
September 19, 2006 10:28PM
Better call MAACO!!!
September 20, 2006 02:34AM
Refinish the area. If what he was trying to cover up was the sanding marks left in the bondo, it is better to refinish the area. I would be concerned why there is bondo there to start with and if the bondo does not have proper adhesion the bondo could come loose and expose what the issue was to start with. If you want the car to look nice you will need to repaint.

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
September 20, 2006 02:34AM
I think I would rather have Earl Schieb do it, any color you want as long as it is black.

Bud Abraham
September 21, 2006 02:53AM
Bud : Henry Ford is said to have said you could have his cars in any color as long as it was black. I heard that Earl Schieb got his start with a supply of surplus battleship grey paint left over after WWII. Perhaps, as a senior menber of the forum, you can tell us if this is true...
Doug
September 21, 2006 06:53PM
JonJoy20 :
If the car is in sad shape anyway, you can wet sand and then do your own spray touch-up job. Write down the paint code found on a decal or stamped tag on the car. Buy a can of the right paint and some body shop masking tape.
Doug

" Improvise, adapt and overcome. "
September 22, 2006 05:20AM
You are right it was Henry Ford that said that. My point about Earl Schieb was that you got the cheap paint job if you painted the car the same color it was and it matched the basic colors they had to use.

Not sure about how he started, but I was surprised to find out a few years back that all the stores are company owned, not franchised as I had thought.

Regards
Bud Abraham
September 22, 2006 02:27PM
Doug:

If you are interested go to www.earlschieb.com/about.php for a bit of history of Mr Schieb and the company. I see nothing in there about buying gallons of paint, only that his customers needed their cars painted and he started doing it, and the rest is history.

Bud Abraham
September 23, 2006 01:56AM
Bud, this may be one of those stories people like to believe but that aren't true. It sounds like those $50 surplus jeeps in the crate or the unused T-bird found in the dead Ford dealer's garage. Thanks for the link. In a similar vein, a motorcycle magazine once noted that the latest Yamaha 650 was offered in " your choice of red. "

Doug

" I've always said that a soldier can out-lie a fisherman any day. "-Herbert McBride-from A Rifleman Went To War
September 29, 2006 04:59AM
Earl Schieb said "I'll paint any car for $29.95" back in the 80s.

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
September 29, 2006 07:32AM
You were not even born yet were you?

Bud Abraham
September 29, 2006 07:33AM

Bud Abraham
September 29, 2006 07:33AM

Bud Abraham
September 29, 2006 01:24PM
More Like The Late 50s early 60s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login