Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Good Tricks or Myth

Posted by NUPRIN 
Good Tricks or Myth
September 20, 2006 04:17PM
I am newbie. So please forgive me if I sound kind of naive. Here are some tricks or tips that I have heard, just wonder if you guys heard of them too, and also if there are any other tips and or myth I should be aware of.

Peanut oil - windows trim rubber and exterior rubber, dress and clean up wax.
coconut oil - add to wash soap to help prevent dirt from sliding on paint.
WD-40 - use spareingly on engine for dressing.
liquid wax - on windows for easy and streak free finish and light rain repellent
kerosene - one old timer told me he use it on paint to wipe dirt off, can it be use of wheels too?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Good Tricks or Myth
September 20, 2006 04:45PM
Been around for years, all of them.

Just using some common oils, etc to attempt to save money, since these do create a "sort" of "dressing".

However, some may be doing more long term damage than the money saved warrants.

ketch
September 21, 2006 01:48AM
The kerosene trick was to use 1 cup of kerosene to 1 bucket of water, and use that to wash your car. Other old time tricks are , ammonia and water for rugs and cloth seats,clear floor wax for vinyl trim and tire dressing, baking soda for bug removeal, mineral spirits or kerosene for tar, vinegar and water for glass,and a few others that I dont remember right now.
September 21, 2006 02:33AM
Nuprin,
Sometimes the answer is more complicated than "good" or "bad". Just because something works doesn't mean it works the best. Otherwise people would simply huff paint thinner instead of buying expensive crack cocaine, but that may be a subject for another forum.
WD-40 is flammable until its carrier evaporates. Water-based dressings are a better bet for engines for safety reasons. WD-40 is recommended for drying wet ignition systems, which indicates it won't harm engine compartment materials.
Kerosene is combustible and must be used carefully. It will strip wax. Regularly wiping the car with a towel soaked in water and a little kerosene will work but I wonder about the long-term effect on rubber and vinyl parts.
I tried using peanut butter ( not oil ) to remove wax stains from vinyl but wasn't impressed with the results. I did better with Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner.
Salad oil in the wash solution is supposed to make the suds last and add lubrication but I suspect it will leave a deposit on the car so I don't use it.
There are numerous home-brew window cleaners made with alcohol and/or vinegar but they don't seem as good as Stoner's Invisible Glass, Griot's Window Cleaner or Meguiar's.
Waxes such as Meguiar's #26 have been used successfully on windows but purpose-built Rain-X is probably better. Wax may interfere with the windshield wipers.
Corn starch and even talcum powder have been mixed with water or window cleaner to deep-clean glass. Diesel oil has been used to shine tires. Coleman fuel has been used on carpet spots. Waxes like AutoMagic's Banana wax can be used on plastic headlights. Clear Lacquer has been sprayed on used car engines to dress them. Turpentine can be used as a tar remover but I found it did not work well. Used car dealers use lacquer thinner on stained kick panels and dress them to hide the damage it does.
Doug

" Character matters, and virtue is the stength of character."-Mark Rutland-
September 23, 2006 02:24AM
Without judging these, I'll mention them...
Palmolive Dishwashing Liquid is recommended by the maker for car washing ( one squirt to a bucket of water ). New Again said he uses Mop and Glow in wheel wells as dressing. Fabric Softener sheets can be used to agitate tar and bugs. Hot water on towels helps remove tree sap. Warm water allows you to wash the car on cold days. Spraying Pam on the front of the car keeps bugs from sticking. You can coat precious aluminum wheels with petroleum jelly for the winter to ward off salt. You can mix polish with a pure wax to create a one-step product. Some car wash soaps can be applied full strength to loosen bugs and tar. Dawn dishwashing liquid is used to remove old wax prior to detailing. Baking soda can be left in the car to absorb odors. Toothpaste removes scratches from clear plastics. Baking soda and water are used to clean car batteries. A large pencil eraser can be used to scrape wax residue out of crevices. A plastic putty knife helps in scraping stickers off of paint.
Doug

" Bankruptcy in America comes dressed in a tuxedo, not in rags. "-Mark Rutland-
September 29, 2006 04:56AM
Rubbing alcohol will remove painted on pinstripes. Good for older cars who have painted on pin stripes with some lines missing.
September 29, 2006 04:56AM
Rubbing alcohol will remove painted on pinstripes. Good for older cars who have painted on pin stripes with some lines missing.

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login