Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is Anybody Out There ?

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Is Anybody Out There ?
September 23, 2006 04:16AM
What happened to the regulars on this forum ? I've seen few recent posts from the old crowd ( Mark, Ron, Anthony, Jose, Brian, Dan, Dan Loves Tea etc. ) Where'd everybody go ? Did these fellows make their millions from detailing and skip to Barbados ?
If this forum is to stay interesting, it will need a variety of perspectives from knowlegable professionals. Amateurs are needed too but it is the experts who make this forum special.
Doug

" Everybody generalizes. "
Re: Is Anybody Out There ?
September 23, 2006 04:23AM
Doug,

As I just posted to you, on another thread, who are you?

Perhaps your regular offering of advice, with no one being aware of your qualifications, or experience, does make some wary of replying or taking part in your threads, posts.

I make it well known who I am, and that I have decades in the business, from detailing vehicles before it termed "detailing" to doing bodywork, painting,etc.

My company is well known, and our website is right here, with links to valid and vehicle manufacturer provided information on the site, www.autoint.com.

On the site is "About Us", which does away with today's common "hide behind the corporate wall", for all of us and our bio's are there for all to see, warts and all.

So, "who are you, and how long have you been in the industry, and where are you", is a fair question, for one that offers so much "advice".

Ketch
September 23, 2006 06:20AM
Ketch,
I am a guy who details for money here and there but has not yet figured out how a full-fledged business in this field ever turns a profit. Im easily fascinated by the mental challenges of sifting out the best product, the best technique etc. When I saw this forum begin to stagnate, I jumped in again to breathe new life into it. If you read my stuff, you'll find that I do not give irresponsible advice. In fact, I can't recall giving wrong advice, even by accident. I use my real name and so far, you are the only member to get worried about my qualifications. I tag the ends of my posts with entertaining or meaningful quotes and blurbs. I do not have any financial interest in any detail-related business and do not profit if someone buys a particular product
( unlike you and Bud ).
I seriously doubt that I am, as you imply I may be, the reason the old regulars are not posting. I certainly hope that isn't the case.
You are welcome to regard me as an amateur if that makes you feel better. The other members and readers are well aware that my statements are not issued on a " take my word for it " basis and can be evaluated, tested and argued about by anyone. I fail to see the danger you imply I represent. On the other hand, you and Bud use the forum to issue opinions on your own and competitors' products despite your hardly disinterested positions.
I assure you of my good will toward the forum and its members. As long as I make no false claims of expertise, I hope you will respect my right to help others and seek their help here.
Doug
" When loyalty is lost, the very fabric of relationship unravels. "-Mark Rutland-
September 23, 2006 07:50PM
Just wanted to know who I was reading and if you are a full time,trained, professional in the business.

Not an unreasonable request.

ketch
September 24, 2006 04:43AM
Doug Delmony said, "not yet figured out how a full-fledged business in this field ever turns a profit."

Doug, it is tough, but doable. We gross $300k after 3 years, and we pull 25% net. We anticipate a move to larger quarters soon, and we look for $500k, with a 35% net.

We only do retail...

Jim

Doug, cut Ketch a break! He's good people...
September 24, 2006 02:23PM
Jim,
Congratulations on your success. If I can do anything close, I'll be happy.

My argument with Ketch was based on his statements. I've never even met him and did not intend to convey any opinion on him personally. I'm ready to move on, of course.

Glad to see you are still posting, Jim, but it would also be nice to hear from the "missing persons" who made the forum what it is.

Doug
" Young men, beware of a girl whose father calls her 'princess'. Chances are, she has come to believe it. "
September 24, 2006 07:55PM
Contact Scott Perkin in Canada or Gary & Diana Bean of Every Little Detail in Stockton. They are personal friends of mine and do very, very well in the detail business each year.

Another is Steve's Detaling in LA, I do not know him, but he generates tremendous revenues in the business and has for years.

Bud Abraham
September 25, 2006 06:16PM
The simple solution for a person who details for money and has not yet figured out how a full-fledged business in this field ever turns a profit, is to concentrate on business principles, more than they concentrate on detailing principles.

Most successful detailing business owners will agree that 80% of the educational effort should be focused on learning more about what it takes to own and operate a profitable business. While 20% should be learning more about the actual process of detailing.

Those same owners will also tell you that most detailing businesses fail because the owners are too busy taking care of the technical side of the business. Let's face it, just because someone is a good detailer, that does not necessarily make them a good business owner.

An entrepreneur can become a detailer. Not all detailers can become entrepreneurs.

May 11, 2011 04:36PM
The same could be said today.

Quote from Doug:

If this forum is to stay interesting, it will need a variety of perspectives from knowlegable professionals
February 17, 2012 06:53PM
Quote from Doug about me:

Let me second the apology to new members. Bill has worn out his welcome .

Quote from Ron:

Doug,

As I just posted to you, on another thread, who are you?

Perhaps your regular offering of advice, with no one being aware of your qualifications, or experience, does make some wary of replying or taking part in your threads, posts.

So, "who are you, and how long have you been in the industry, and where are you", is a fair question, for one that offers so much "advice".

Quote from Doug:

I seriously doubt that I am, as you imply I may be, the reason the old regulars are not posting. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

Doug

Maybe you are the one who has worn out his welcome here after 7 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 07:00PM by billd55.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login