Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Newbie Starting out

Posted by NUPRIN 
Newbie Starting out
September 26, 2006 04:51PM
Hi guys. My partner and I are new in this wonderful business of Detailing. I just want some feed back from you guys on what else we could do to improve our selves, and if there are anything that we are missing.

To start of, my partner and I are in our early 30's, my partner had no detailing experience, but I have been detailing since I was able to drive, even though I was not a professional, but I feel I could do a good job, and better than the average. To me it was something I take pride in keeping my vehicles clean, I would polish and wax my vehicle at normal schedule, and buff when it's needed, so I feel I somewhat know my way around detailing. Now to what we have. We have a 14ft enclosed trailer. In it we have a 5500watts generator, a rotary buffer, a random polisher, 2 water tanks(65gallons each), extrator, pressure washer, ozon generator, shop vac, air compressor, and other minor stuff, including scent, different kind of wax and sealer, scaffolding ledder(for roofs of suvs), portable garage. Also we have attained our insurance for mobile detailing already. Are there anything that we are missing, any help would be great.

Since we had started with the word of mouth on our mobile detailing(would love to start a shop, but money is tight, our goal is open a shop in 2 years) in the past 2 weeks, we have done 6 vehicles already, with the average price of $145.00(complete with extraction and ozon) per vehicle with 4 others lined up for next week.

I feel that we are selling ourselves short here, because it takes us half a day to finish one car, but we are advertising as winter special right now, and attempted to set up VIP plans with customers that liked our work. So far most customers loved our work(I think that's why we got so many vehicles for just starting out, and I think it helps that I am really anal about our work), but non of the customer seems to want to set up a VIP plan with us. What is a better way to sell a VIP plan, and when it's a good time to raise the price to match our work?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Sincerely yours,

Handcock Hydrospray
Re: Newbie Starting out
September 27, 2006 10:18AM
Hi guys. Good luck with your new buiness.
First you have to look at how much it cost you to operate you buiness per hour and
how much money you two need to make per hour to live on and make it worth your while. I would add up what it cost you materal wise and time wise and at that point
make your prices up from there.
I would cut the ozone out of that price and add it at an added price. You are performing a service and should be paid properly for it.
Underpricing is the quickest way to become out of buiness. It sounds like you have a lot of equipment and are on the right track,I would know how use all of your equipment to it's capabilty and price properly.
Good luck and best wishes
Joe
September 27, 2006 02:11PM
Thank you very much for your reply. I realized experience is the only way for us to get better, and we will keep working on it to have the same quality in shorter time.
September 27, 2006 03:43PM
Your welcome.There is alot of help out here as far as training books and videos
just for people to get started in detailing.
Joe
September 28, 2006 04:19AM
You have hidden your email which makes it difficult to contact you to offer some additional assistance that is too lengthly to post here.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
buda@detailplus.com
September 28, 2006 04:19AM
You have hidden your email which makes it difficult to contact you to offer some additional assistance that is too lengthly to post here.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
buda@detailplus.com
September 28, 2006 02:58PM
Sorry Bud, I am new on this forum and didn't know my e-mail was hidden, it is open now for any comment.
September 29, 2006 04:48AM
Nuprin,

Welcome! By all means, sell odor removal as it's own service. $145.00 is a bit cheap, so you wany want to consider raising your prices, even if your are making a profit now with your curent pricing. High prices usually attracts quality seekers and not coupon clippers.

Have you ever considered boat detailing? It is under served and in high demand. A gold mine waiting to be expolited. Email me if interested in learning to detail boats properly and safely.

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login