Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

pressure washers

Posted by big1poop 
pressure washers
October 27, 2008 03:27AM
You should never use a pressure washer on a car!
Re: pressure washers
November 09, 2008 01:52AM
I wondered about this. I have been looking at portable detail trailers, every one I have looked at, that came with "starter pack" included a big o high pressure washer that I wondered what it was for, since time after time the advice is not to use a high pressure washer. It can push dirt hard enough to scratch. I was looking at "detrailers" and detail gear . com...

In the groups opinion what equipment SHOULD be on a trailer for a (new to the business) mobile detailer?

Thanks
November 09, 2008 07:53AM
OK, now present to all who read here, a logical, factual reason or two of why not!

Very long and involved studies were conducted over 15 years ago by a PHd, hired by Ford, Chrysler and GM, plus the International Carwash Association to do a factual study on this issue.

It would be very interesting to compare what the findings were the result of the study vs such an all incompassing statement as was posted.

Ketch
November 10, 2008 04:59AM
Guys :
I have not noticed damage from pressure washing except when the wand is held too close to loose or defective paint .
The pressure washer removes a lot of dirt that would otherwise be scraped against the paint by the wash mitt.
Cars get pelted with rain water at 65 miles per hour in normal driving . That should push some dirt against the surface and cause micro-scratches too .
The pressure washer, in short, probably causes a net reduction in scratches . It speeds up the wash process and conserves water .
I imagine if you are detailing show cars, you might want to explore the steam apparatus from Daimer or Steam Jet or maybe invent an ultrasonic device .
Let's be realistic though. Most cars are actually driven and will acquire scratches . Detailers will add a few in the process of washing and drying .
It is a non-issue . To make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs ( pretty clever metaphor, eh ? )
Link deals with pressure washing engines : [www.americascarcare.com]
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 02:00AM by Doug Delmont.
November 11, 2008 02:43AM
Not arguing with anyone!! Just what I had read in several places. Ok, What other then, the power washer should be included in a start pack for a mobile detailer?
November 11, 2008 03:12AM
As long as you have one that represents on the label, 1750 PSI max, no problem.

The pressure is at the very end of the tip, while the pump is new.

Actual pressure, when held the safe 6 to 10 inches from the surface is around 800 PSI and no problem for a painted surface that is not compromised.

The testing done, referred to earlier, showed that the "type of nozzle and it's angle" was what caused damages more often than the "pressure".

Small units, electric and gas powered, used by most detailers, will not create damage if a few simple rules are followed, usually listed in their operation manual.

Some will go for "over-kill", thinking that 2500 to 3000 PSI are required.

These are the units that may often create damage on passenger vehicles.

They are fine for cleaning concrete, etc, but can not recommend them for passenger vehicles.

Just a few points, learned over 40+ years in the professional detailing business.

Ketch
November 11, 2008 05:37PM
Time is money. As a general rule, look for big, powerful equipment that can speed up the detailing process . I'd recommend a Shop Vac of 5 or 6 horsepower. There are other vacuums that detailers like and Shop Vac makes rugged industrial models too .
You'll need an extractor for carpets and upholstery ( Ninja or other ) . Steam cleaners tend to take more time but are a great thing to have in addition to your extractor. Steam devices can be used on everything from vinyl to door jambs .

A good orbital or Dual Action Orbital buffer is a must for polishing . For serious paint correction, you'll need a rotary buffer as well .

Bud recommends an air compressor and air powered carpet brush . The compressor is good for blasting out loose dirt .

You'll want sturdy metal cabinets to hold your chemicals safely and securely, a fire extinguisher or two, bungee cords and tie-downs, possibly a ramp of some kind , probably a cordless electric drill and the Drillbrush ( www.drillbrush.com ) for carpets and odd jobs .

To comply with clean water laws, you'll need a containment mat or water boom .

You can never have too many towels and rags ...

Doug
November 11, 2008 09:58PM
Thanks all I appreciate your help and patience with an obvious newbie.
November 12, 2008 01:09AM
iowarider-
I realize this goes beyond the scope of your inquiry, but here are some things to consider :
1) If you build up your own rig from scratch, you can save up to 50% of the cost.

2) You can look for a used trailer or a complete rig on Craigslist or ebay . Unfortunately, there are are a lot ways to get ripped off buying that way . The advantage is that you'll be making an offer on something with little resale value and during a bad economy to boot .

3) You could perhaps partner up with a guy who has a mobile business but would like someone to do jobs on his days off and assist him on some jobs , especially if you bring in more customers .

4) The most important thing is, unfortunately, not the equipment you choose. This business is littered with the wreckage of detailing businesses that failed because their owners miscalculated . It is human nature to under-estimate costs and over-estimate demand for your services... To over-estimate profit and forget the things that can go wrong ( theft, bad checks, no-shows , injuries, insurance hikes, damage claims, bad weather , sickness, vehicle accidents and fines for everything from traffic violations to OSHA safety concerns ) .
Figure out ahead of time , what you must make to * Pay your monthly expenses, * Pay yourself a decent salary, * Pay for your health care and retirement savings.

Then figure out how much work one person ( or more if you will have employees ) can turn out in a month and how much you must charge per hour to make the numbers work .
You may find that, in your area, with your climate, it is almost impossible to make a go of it . If that turns out to be the case, face facts and pass up the trailer rig ; because once you buy it, you are in for the long haul ( pun intended ) .
Doug
November 13, 2008 04:01AM
No, this is exactly the type of information I needed to hear. In Iowa, it is not an all year job. Not mobile anyway. I actually was thinking of a part time thing. You are right, a lot of outlay for what might not be enough to pay for more than the equipment. I will take your advise seriously. Thanks
November 05, 2009 11:47PM
I use a pressure washer on all my cars everyday!!!!
November 06, 2009 11:42PM
Plus one.

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]
November 10, 2009 02:31PM
The newest thing in Pressure Washers that I have run across is the Nomad H2O pressure Washer. It runs off the accessories plug. (cig lighter) Works Great too! Idea for winter Details in buildings or garages!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login