Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help for satin on paint.

Posted by suzie2058 
Help for satin on paint.
February 21, 2010 11:18PM
HELP!!!!! I have a white car with a pretty good paint job and clear coat. Recently someone had spilled something on the trunk of my car and it left a big tannish colored stain and it started to wear away the clear coat in that area where the stain is. I used an orange colored rubbing compound to try and get the stain out but only wound up making it worse and now all you see is the orange rubbing compound that is stuck in all the tiny little lines and cracks. Is it even possible to ever get this orange compound out of the tiny cracks and scratches without ruining it more? It is so noticeable and looks horrible. I am hoping that living in Florida and the hot summer sum that we get here will help to fade it. I have tried washing that area (with force), also tried white colored liquid wax and even a good white paste wax. Nothing seems to get the orange compound out. I'm afraid I am gonna make it worse (seeing that the clear coat got alittle messed up because of that stain (I don't know what was spilled on my car or even who did it). Any suggestions other than having the whole trunk painted (which may not match the rest of the car when it is done) or paint the whole car. Can someone please give me some advice as what to do. Anything is appreciated and thank you in advance.
Re: Help for satin on paint.
February 22, 2010 05:20PM
Take it to a professional DETAILER!

NO ONE here can properly advise you on what to do without seeing it first.
February 23, 2010 02:19AM
By your own admission you have indicated that the "clear-coat" is messed up.

It sounds as though whatever you spilled on the car has broken down the clear-coat which means that the paint (if you did not know it, clear-coat is clear paint) has been compromised, meaning that it has been damaged.

Clear coat finishes are clear and smooth, they do not have lines and cracks in them. The liquid you spilled on the paint either has some type of paint thinner, solvent or acid in it which broken down the paint.

You are going to have to have the trunk lid repainted.

Sorry to tell you that, but from what you saying that is what it sounds like to me.

Bud Abraham
March 06, 2010 02:48AM
may be i can help that
May 14, 2010 03:13AM
take it profesionally

Car Detailing Charlotte
704-464-0163
[www.cardetailingcharlotte.com]
Charlotte, NC 28246

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 03:51AM by Charlotte.
June 11, 2010 02:05AM
Suzie
To get the orange rubbing compound out of the cracks, scrub with a soft brush and soapy water. To minimize scratching, use the mildest brush that works. If necessary, use a toothbrush.
If the paint is cracked clear through, it must be repainted but if the car is not worth putting money into, you could sand and attempt a spray touch-up to prevent rust etc.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login