Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT-5 Acrylic Sealant

Posted by expertdetailer 
AT-5 Acrylic Sealant
October 17, 2010 03:07PM
You call him Buffer Bill, after following his many posts here on Web-Cars and other sites from which he has been banned I would call him Blowhard Bill.

Look at what the detailers on Detail City have to say about the claims of AT-5:

[detailcity.org]

As well check out the GEM website [www.gem-industries.com]

Not much there but a list of all types of normal detail chemicals, including a WAX, which Blowhard Bill says is so horrible. Why do the makers of AT-5 sell a wax???

If this AT-5 is so phenomenal why is it only listed along with other typical detail chemicals?

Are we so stupid the believe all of Bill's hype. He should be banned from here too. Why don't you just go away Bill and AT-5 cars to your heart's content
Re: AT-5 Acrylic Sealant
October 17, 2010 04:06PM
Expertdetailer

First, by your name you seem to have a very high opinion of yourself. You are correct the makers of AT-5 do sell wax products. Why, that is their business
not mine.

The claims made about AT-5 on Detail City are from close minded people such as yourself who have not used the product, but have plenty of opinions about it.

What I said about wax is fact. If you care to provide reasons where I am wrong
besides your rude insults, feel free.

Maybe there are people here that want a different view on what they can use
besides wax. This is a real forum where detailers have a right to express an
opinion other than what you feel is correct.

Are we so stupid to base judgment on what you consider hype with nothing more
than calling me names and your opinion. Many other people have been banned from forums like detail city for not agreeing with people like you.

Why do you care what I have to say anyways if I am a Blowhard as you say.
You are more than welcome to express why am I wrong about what I have said about
wax.

Why don't you go back to Detail City and the other forums where you can hear what what makes you happy,but you are not moderator here, so you can go away if you choose.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 12:07AM by billd55.
October 17, 2010 04:34PM
Expertdetailer

Look at what the detailers on Detail City have to say about the claims of AT-5:
Quote from expertdetailer

OK lets do that

Big Leegr
Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!!

Re: GEM Formula AT-5 sealant...5 year protection, yeah right!
I haven't read much on the stuff, but I have read of a "pro" detailer using it and being happy with it. IIRC he said he got 6 months to a year on cars that weren't well maintained. However, I think that's one of the only "reviews" I've read on it. As the guy uses it in his business, I tend to be a bit wary of the claims.

Wait a minute....
I happen to have a sample of the stuff.
No, haven't tried it. Don't know when/if I will either. Just felt like "flaunting!"

Here is another:

Re: GEM Formula AT-5 sealant...5 year protection, yeah right!
So they actually waited 5 years to release the product? I don't think so.

I congratulate them on actually creating step by step of products, but the 5 year claim is highly unlikely... But I haven't ever own a vehicle that long to see.

Expertdetailer, these are they sources you base your opinion on for AT-5?
Why should I or anyone listen to anything you have to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 04:35PM by billd55.
October 17, 2010 10:16PM
AT-5 protection may last 1 year or 5 years, but the just waxed look wont last 3 months.
October 18, 2010 12:09AM
It will with AT-5
October 18, 2010 08:33AM
Here are my thoughts on all this

AT 5 is probably something that GEM bought from Eurochem in the United Kingdom
Their Acrylic polymer/8% teflon Toughseal system is their best and I do use step 1 on some occassions for paint cleaning prior to applying my Deep Impact glass/synthetic clear coat system.

Toughseal is finicky to apply (step 2 is very oily) and the car needs to be left out in the sun to dry and cure.

It is an extremely good paint sealant which will last a year and up to five years if maintained properly with a semi waterless wash, wet wash like toughseal wash and gloss and some top quality detail spray/spray sealant like Gtechniq C2

When most companies say 5 years of protection, what they are saying is that the paint will not oxidise for five years. It doesnt mean that it will relentlessly sheet water for that long or protect from sleet and other elements for that long

Good on Bill for finding a product that gives a great gloss, can fill in defects for some time and enables him to not need to do time consuming paint correction which is costly and annoying sometimes

I agree with bill that many on the big forums are or have been brainwashed by Meguiars, Autogeek and many other online shops or companies into thinking that compound, polish, wax is all there is to detailing and you cant do anything besides cutting back paint to fix defects and other paint damage. That is a load of shit

There are more and more things that one can do to treat paintwork and I banned compounds from my shop a year ago. They are no longer necessary. Same for dressings, glass cleaners, engine degreaser, wheel cleaners.

If GEM want to sell a wax, thats there parogative.

Wax has its place but in my eyes, its a complete waste of time, greasy, attracts dust, doesnt do anything but create surface tension. Contains natural wax and silicone/polymers and mutes metallic flakes preventing them from popping
October 18, 2010 02:41PM
Svr

I agree with all that you said but one thing. AT-5 drys within minutes. In fact
I do small sections, and wipe it off almost upon contact.

Toughseal is finicky to apply (step 2 is very oily) and the car needs to be left out in the sun to dry and cure.

If you apply it to a large section and come back to take it off. It will not come
off. You will have to reapply it to remove it. I think toughseal may be a different formula than At-5.
October 18, 2010 08:35PM
Just had a look at Eurochem's website. They refer to AT-5 as their Acrylic 5 product. [www.eurochem.co.uk]
November 24, 2010 01:25AM
Every chemical has an evaporation period. Acrylic Polymers and Resins do form a ionic bond on the painted surface, but with the different weather conditions we can never determine and exact longevity of any chemical. There's nothing on the market that last 5 years, what is guaranteed is the clear coat on a vehicle. Even a paint sealant has a life span of 6 - 9 months. Read the fine print. "With monthly application and maintenance."

Ruben Jr.
www.Rightlook.com
www.Autodetailingwarehouse.com

[facebook.rightlook.com]
[twitter.rightlook.com]
[flickr.rightlook.com]
March 19, 2011 03:10AM
svr73, You banned compounds from your shop as they are no longer necessary, sounds fine to me. You also banned dressing,glass cleaner, engine degreaser and wheel cleaner? Can you expand a bit on that subject?
March 19, 2011 07:35AM
Ruben

Are you saying that SwissVax superior European waxes that cost from $100 to $1300 per can do not last? That they evaporate?

I know that water evaporates, solvent evaporates, but does wax; mineral oil or silicones evaporate?

Regards
July 07, 2011 01:48PM
You all may have valid points, AT5 is a very good product and I've been using it for 3 years now. I don't use it however as the end finish on my vehicle. You all talk like your looking for a mircle product that will give you the finish your looking for in a one step application. I quit looking for mircles long ago. I do a 5 step process to achieve the look I'm after and I only have to do it once a year. I start with stripping the car down to bare paint(clearcoat) then clay the finish to remove all imbedded elements. Next I use a #3 Machine polish to bring up the finish followed by AT-5 applied with a machine, and as it has been mentiioned you HAVE to remove it before it dry's. I finish my car with 2 coats of P21S Carnabua wax and achieve a finish that you could reach into. This does last me a full year as the water beads as well 12 months later as it did when I finished. Applying AT5 over your Carnuba wax will give you an even brighter finish.
July 07, 2011 02:25PM
I thought sealer would only adhere correctly to a wax free clearcoat?
July 07, 2011 02:57PM
Bob you are correct, a paint sealant must be applied to a "clean" finish as Madman indicates.

However, there is really no benefit to putting wax over the sealant especially if he does not allow the sealant to properly cure. Some cure in a few hours, some in 24 hours.

Wax over sealant might enhance shine on a dark colored car. It could add an additional barrier to the elements, but since waxes last only about a maximum of 4 weeks in the best conditions it might not be worth the effort.

I guess it is psychological for some.

By the way, water beading does not signify you have protection. Many things can cause water to bead that have no protective qualities.

Actually, the elements in a wax or sealant that provide protection do not cause water to bead.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
August 30, 2011 01:35AM
So how can i get a bottle? Any help?
December 17, 2011 02:25PM
billd55 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>AT-5 drys within minutes. In fact
> I do small sections, and wipe it off almost upon
> contact.
>
> >
> If you apply it to a large section and come back
> to take it off. It will not come
> off. You will have to reapply it to remove it.

Sounds like some of the ancient teflon sealants that dealers use to rip prople off with. None of the products I use (including wax) give this much difficulty.

Sounds like GEM needs to update their 25 year old formulation to today's ease of use application standards. I don't know what's more outdated.....their AT-5 or their Orbital Polishers?
December 17, 2011 02:54PM
Sounds like some of the ancient teflon sealants that dealers use to rip prople off with. None of the products I use (including wax) give this much difficulty.

Pro-Skeptic

Have you used this product? It is not hard to apply if you know how to use it. By the way what products do you use?
December 17, 2011 03:41PM
Not hard huh? Is that why it takes you nearly 5 hours to apply it? Either you have a severe mental and physical handicap or this product is total junk. (and you criticize people for taking so long to polish paint) Maybe you should convince your puppet master that his 25 year old formula needs to have some silicone added?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login