Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TELFON? YOU MEAN POLYMER PAINT SEALANT...RIGHT?

Posted by rubenjr73 
TELFON? YOU MEAN POLYMER PAINT SEALANT...RIGHT?
April 01, 2011 11:00PM
The word Teflon register by Dupont and has been misconstrude in the automotive industry.

Here is the definition of Telfon: In chemistry, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that finds numerous applications. PTFE is most well known by the DuPont brand name Teflon.

PTFE is a fluorocarbon solid, as it is a high-molecular-weight compound consisting wholly of carbon and fluorine. PTFE is hydrophobic: neither water nor water-containing substances wet PTFE, as fluorocarbons demonstrate mitigated London dispersion forces due to the high electronegativity of fluorine. PTFE has one of the lowest coefficients of friction against any solid.

PTFE is used as a non-stick coating for pans and other cookware. It is very non-reactive, partly because of the strength of carbon–fluorine bonds, and so it is often used in containers and pipework for reactive and corrosive chemicals. Where used as a lubricant, PTFE reduces friction, wear, and energy consumption of machinery.

Look it up: [www2.dupont.com]

Ruben Jr.
www.Rightlook.com
www.Autodetailingwarehouse.com

[facebook.rightlook.com]
[twitter.rightlook.com]
[flickr.rightlook.com]
Re: TELFON? YOU MEAN POLYMER PAINT SEALANT...RIGHT?
April 02, 2011 04:24PM
Reuben

Yes

PTFE is a thermoplastic polymer, and wax is considered a paint sealant by some
manufactures. Although,if a compound has no naturally occurring ingredients, it is considered a paint sealant.

Unfortunately, what confounds the debate even further is that some manufacturers mislabel their synthetic-based compound as wax. They do this because many people are unfamiliar with paint sealants and look for the word “wax” when shopping. These consumers do not really care whether or not the compound is made of natural or synthetic ingredients because all they want is a product that will do a good job. So the only way to know if you’re buying a wax or sealant is to look at the ingredients rather than go by the label.

Here is a perfect example:

Teflon Car Wax

Teflon wax has been proven to protect the interior and exterior of the vehicle from dirt, grime, scratches, dust and more! Teflon is a non-stick wax designed for today's modern finishes and clear coats. This wax leaves the paint with a rich, reflective shine with long-lasting results.

Teflon is available is liquid or spray form and can be found almost anywhere these days. Teflon works in half the time than regular car wax does. It is used like a primer and gives a glossy finish.

Teflon wax offers the use of a quick touch-up between waxing. There is no effort used when applying this product because of it's easy on easy off application. This wax will also reduce swirl marks, other fine scratches and more! Pick some up in your local automotive store, so you can see the results for yourself.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2011 05:00PM by billd55.
April 02, 2011 04:43PM
What is a polymer?

Polymers are made up of many many molecules all strung together to form really long chains (and sometimes more complicated structures, too).

What makes polymers so fun is that how they act depends on what kinds of molecules they're made up of and how they're put together. The properties of anything made out of polymers really reflect what's going on at the ultra-tiny (molecular) level. So, things that are made of polymers look, feel, and act depending on how their atoms and molecules are connected, as well as which ones we use to begin with! Some are rubbery, like a bouncy ball, some are sticky and gooey, and some are hard and tough, like a skateboard.
April 02, 2011 07:47PM
A 1989 article in Professional Carwashing & Detailing Magazine "The truth about Teflon" quotes a G.R. Ansul of Dupont's Car Care products, Speciality Products Division. "The addition of a Teflon" flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position. " Ansul also notes that, :unless Teflon" is applied at 700 degrees F., it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish, (Source: Grisantin, Stephen, " The Truth About Teflon"
April 03, 2011 03:42AM
Any of those reading who attended a ValuGard Prep Excellence School has a manual from the class.
In the Technical Section is the a complete explaination of monomer's and polymers, how they work, what creates the chains, etc.
It is pretty complete in explaining such things.
Teflon is in reality, a polymer chain, just differences in what creates the chain and differences in creating the crosslinking or curing of the resultant resin.
April 04, 2011 02:36PM
According to the true definition, Telfon is not a Chemical. Alot of dealerships are misleading customers when they buy there new vehicles in that they are getting a 5 year "Telfon" protection on there vehicle... Too Funny I just bought a car 2 months ago and they try to sell me the exact same thing. I just told the sales guy, "Nah, I have Turtle Wax at home, I'll use that." You don't know how pissed off he got. I didn't want to school him, I was too excited of getting a new car.

"What is Teflon®?"

Teflon® is a registered trademark and a brand name owned by DuPont. Teflon® is "not a specific chemical." The Teflon® brand represents a family of high-performance products that are used in a wide variety of industrial applications and consumer applications. The Teflon® brand has come to represent a variety of benefits to consumers including easy clean, nonstick, repellency and durablity.

Since the early 1960s, Teflon® brand nonstick coatings have been used on cookware. Although consumers may use the brand Teflon® as a generic term to refer to all nonstick cookware, the Teflon® brand refers only to certain nonstick coatings manufactured by DuPont and sold under the Teflon® brand name. The coating on nonstick cookware is made from a liquid "paint" which contains PTFE (polytetrafluoroethlyene) fluoropolymer and sometimes other fluoropolymers. The final cookware coating is a dried, durable nonstick material which delivers the easy clean and nonstick performance that you expect from your cookware coated with Teflon® nonstick.

Ruben Jr.
www.Rightlook.com

[facebook.rightlook.com]
[twitter.rightlook.com]
[flickr.rightlook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 02:39PM by rubenjr73.
April 04, 2011 05:02PM
Ruben

I agree with you that these dealerships are not stating the facts about these
sealants correctly, and charging way toooo much.

You are completely correct on what Teflon does, and all it truly offers is a short term slick feeling,but please do not think that these sealants are not of superior quality compared to what is on the market today.

I agree that these sealants will not last 5 years without reapplying it at least
once a year to maintain protection and shine.I feel the reason many have a bias
towards them is because of lack of knowledge about them.

If applied properly at least every year. They will provide total protection
and a truly awesome shine equal to any wax.Many here will say that is crap,
but I have seen it time after time.

I do not have to deal with all the hassles of using waxes. Stripping, polishing,
using the right soap, and correction. Although, I have a clear bias here,and it is just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.
April 05, 2011 02:14AM
billd55

If applied properly at least every year. They will provide total protection
and a truly awesome shine equal to any wax.Many here will say that is crap,
but I have seen it time after time.

What do you consider "total protection"? And what specific waxes have you compared Teflon sealants to make this assumption?
April 05, 2011 02:49PM
To me "Total Protection," is that armored plated humvee we drove in Iraq when I was part of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) unit. We were ambushed by insurgents on the way to Bagdad and their artillery just ricocheted off our vehicle like a bug on a windshield... but that's another story.

SSgt USMC (Ret.)

Ruben Jr.
www.Rightlook.com

[facebook.rightlook.com]
[twitter.rightlook.com]
[flickr.rightlook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 02:52PM by rubenjr73.
April 05, 2011 03:51PM
Ive seen cars that were 6 or 7 years old , that were washed often ,garage kept, and never were polished , waxed or seal and they still look great. I conclude the a garage is the best protection. I wax or polish for the looks . Protection for me is how long the look last.
April 05, 2011 04:28PM
Larry

I think the term you should use is durability. Looks have nothing to do with
protection. Now this is just my bias.
April 06, 2011 03:00PM
Great responses. It's always good to state the facts.

@Conconsgarge, You hit it on the nose. Thank you for your quote. " Ansul also notes that, :unless Teflon" is applied at 700 degrees F., it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish, (Source: Grisantin, Stephen, " The Truth About Teflon"

Ruben Jr.
www.Rightlook.com

[facebook.rightlook.com]
[twitter.rightlook.com]
[flickr.rightlook.com]
April 06, 2011 07:27PM
To play Devils Advocate, is the teflon supposed to be protecting the paint or the sealant?

Here is something else of interest for y'all. I knew about it but this is just a copy and paste from a health site, more related to baby health.

"Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), the main ingredient of Teflon, has been found at low levels in the blood of the general population, including in umbilical cord blood, which shows that embryos and fetuses are now exposed to PFOAs. The chief source would be from food cooked in Teflon coated pots, pans, baking dishes and cookie sheets, and to a lesser extent, from Scotchguard used to stain-proof carpets and upholstered furniture.

And while papers written by chemists at DuPont and M3 find, quite predictably, little or no evidence of toxicity, independent authors do, and the EPA considers the health risk so high that it accuses Dupont of failing to report the health risks of Teflon.

One thing is well known. Pet birds exposed to the fumes from overheated Teflon pots or pans keel over dead.

And since PFOAs are commonly found in umbilical blood, I for one, would not want to expose an embryo or fetus, or my children, to this toxic chemical.

Again, we must always be aware of what may be a tolerable dose for an adult, is an immense dose for an embryo or fetus, and a huge dose for small children."

I know all car care chemicals have health risks, ad nauseum (pardon the pun), but PTFE is believed so neutral when in fact it is not.
November 11, 2011 11:15PM
Thank you for all the great responses. If you have more to add to this topic please do. Have a wonderful Veteran's Day

SSgt USMC Ret.

Ruben Jr.
www.Rightlook.com

[facebook.rightlook.com]
[twitter.rightlook.com]
[flickr.rightlook.com]
November 12, 2011 02:06AM
Very familiar with that 1989 letter from DuPont.

However it must not be accurate today because DuPont licenses companies to use the Teflon name if they purchase Teflon from their company to put in the waxes and paint sealants.

As well, I believe that DuPont now makes a wax or sealant product, if you will, that has Teflon in it.

And, there are two types of Teflon, the type that is used on pots and pans to create a non-stick surface and a liquid type that can be used in automotive protection products.

Good article in the www.carwash.com archieves on Paint Sealants & Waxes, much of the information coming from two chemists of detailing chemical companies.

Check it out.

Regards
Bud Abraham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login