Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Laytex paint on carpets

Posted by Robert Brin 
Laytex paint on carpets
January 14, 2002 04:28PM
My son left a 1 gallon can of laytex paint in my brand new chevy conversion van and the cover came off and spilled most of its contents in about a 2 foot square behind the drivers seat on january 1 .... how can i get this removed in the middle of winter without removing the carpet from the van????
Re: Laytex paint on carpets
January 14, 2002 07:02PM
If you are in a colder climate you will need to get the unit indoors for this proceedure.

Hopefully you have removed the major amount of paint by blotting as soon after it happened.

A spotting guide for removal of latex paint is:

1. apply a detergent solution consisting of 1 teaspoon colorless mild detergent into on cup of water. Work this in gently and blot off.

2. Apply ammonia solution constiting of 1 teaspoon clear household ammonia with 1/2 cup of water ( this creates a 7% solution of ammonia). Work this in gently and blot off.

3. Rinse with water and blot until dry

4. Obtain a quantily of Paint oil and grease remover from a commercial cleaning product supplier in your area ( Janitorial supply house). Mix and apply as per directions. These products are readily available and are generaly in the class of non volitile dry spotters.

5. Obtain a quantity of Dry Cleaning Solvent from a commercial cleaning product supplier and apply. This is a volitile dry solvent. These products are generally 1,1,1 Trichloroethane. Use in small amounts as they can disolve rubber or latex components within the carpet.

Good luck.
Re: Laytex paint on carpets
January 16, 2002 01:13AM
s-10 guy is too smart for his own good! as usual, good advice from the carpet cleaning guru!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login