Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Definition of Detailing

Posted by concoursgarage 
Definition of Detailing
October 25, 2011 02:28PM
Today I received a call about engine detailing... not for competition but for a daily driver to find an oil leak.... So I said to the person we would call that service engine cleaning rather than detailing... Her response was I thought detailing was a fancy word for cleaning...

I had a light bulb moment and I am beginning to think that most people think the same thing...
Re: Definition of Detailing
October 26, 2011 05:09AM
In auto dealerships they often call the detail department the "cleanup shop."

Your post Gina points out the dire need our industry has of establishing an identity for itself. Until now it really does not have a clear-cut identity in the consumer's mind.

Just some well intentioned thoughts.,

Bud Abraham
October 26, 2011 02:17PM
Were I work they call a wash , vacuum, windows, door jams, and wheels a detail.
October 28, 2011 08:52PM
Where I am, a detail is a concise, high quality cleaning of the interior, a decontamination and machine polishing with high-protection of the paint.

That word separates the services from the budget-cleaning companies who are known as Car-Valets over here. But not many people are aware of what my "detailing" is. All they know is the budget service.
October 29, 2011 12:28AM
@Profile... everywhere detail should mean the same thing (lol) it is people who are trying to manipulate the word to suit themselves...
October 29, 2011 10:36PM
You are right, there shouldn't be a separation within the definition. But if it separates me from low-quality hacks, then I embrace the difference.

If I tell people I recondition cars, then they think I do spraying or mechanical restoration. If I tell people I do valet services, they run when they hear my prices. When I tell them I do detailing, manipulation or not, it makes them curious and more willing to listen to what is involved in a proper high quality service.

I don't care what the word is. If it brings in the customers, I will use it. smiling smiley
October 29, 2011 11:31PM
What is exactly the definition of a "low-quality hack?"

And what give a person who performs detailing the right to call them a professional?

Regards
October 30, 2011 11:22AM
It is someone who specifically charges for work and either doesn't complete it or contributes even more damage to the finish on the interior or exterior. It is either lack of integrity, knowledge or motivation to do the job properly.
October 31, 2011 02:03AM
Isn't your definition somewhat subjective? Who judges if the work? If the customer is happy isn't that testimony enough that the work was satisfactory?

Who determines who has integrity or not? Or knowledge? Or motivation?

Seems to me your definition proves the need for some type of 3rd party certification of a detailer to ascertain they are competent.

Right now if the customer accepts the work then how can a person doing detailing work be called a "hack?"

You did not answer my question asking "what gives a detail the right to call themselves a professional?"

Regards
Bud Abraham
October 31, 2011 08:58PM
Unfortunately, anybody can call themselves a professional detailer. Its merely a label and a nomenalization.The only thing that gives them a "right" to call themselves a detailer is their ability to recognise a car on sight ( so they don't end up cleaning a wheelbarrow by mistake. )

Who determines who has integrity or not? Or knowledge? Or motivation? That would be their clients and sometimes even me. Especially when somebody else's poor quality work ends up on my door to be done properly. However, it is not my position to highlight or publicly judge someone's integrity, knowledge or motivation if it is of a sub-par standard. I can think whatever I like though, right?

On the other side of that coin, however, if I am impressed by integrity, knowledge, motivation, enthusiasm, willingness to commit to excellent customer service standards, professionalism, continuous learning, even camaraderie within the profession, then I will publicly highlight this to interested parties. It is my belief that detailers, to a certain extent, should work together. This would be to everyone's benefit, whether detailer, client or supplier.

A hack doesn't last in business and this is how I know that customers don't accept the work. Not everyone is confrontational and gives their car back to be done properly. Especially if there are communication problems with the detailer. So if they get a poor reputation for low-quality work and service, then the customer is clearly not accepting the work.

There is a need for a third party certification but that would be impossible to maintain to a high standard. What I am working on is a simple association of detailers who are trained to a particular standard, who work to a particular standard and who offer a particular standard of customer service. In my opinion, an association is purely aspirational, but its a start.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login