Posted by billd55 
Two common stories from the detailing forums
December 04, 2011 03:29PM
Story: 1

immaculate paint job, ..turns out, not so much
well turns out i have found a flaw in my 11 black silervado

i washed my truck the other day, and we have a party to goto today
so i took out the u/d to touch up the truck
and the sun was just right and a saw a bunch of water spot looking things on the hood

i cant get them to come out on camera, ill try again later or tomorrow

at 1st i thought they were just water spots, but they didnt come off
so i took a little u/p on a small spot, that didnt do anything
then i took scratch x on a small spot 3 times, that did nothing

im afraid they are under the c/c
has anyone seen this b4 , or have any idea how to get rid of them if they are under the c/c?

im thinking getting some u/c and a r/a buffer

thanks

Story:2

Should I get a professional exterior detail at dealership?
Well..I have had fine success removing swirls and whatnot from my black car with Meguiar's DA Polisher and M105. I normally don't even have to use anything after M105 if used with DA polisher, it's gentle enough, I can then go right to wax.

However...it's so hard to do the entire car, and I have to battle dust the entire time. It just doesn't look as good as it should, and the one thing I've never been good at is polishing tight and small areas, like A pillar, around license plate, etc.

Therefore, I inquired at the dealership. I could get an "upgraded" Exterior Detail for about $240, which they claim would include contamination removal (claying?), 3 steps of compounding, 3 steps of polishing, wax, and a spray wax. Doesn't this seem a little hard to believe for $240 though? If they really did all that, it seems like it would come out nice?

It would be 8 hours of work.

Do you think I should go for it? I don't mind polishing out my hood sometimes, but again, it's all those small areas, and trying to get the job all done in a day, I just don't have a good area to do it either.

I then wonder if they could screw up the paint somehow, but hopefully not. Any thoughts? I sure never thought I'd need to turn to pros, but it would be amazing to go pick up the car, if it really came out gorgeous. Of course, a dealership may not really be "pros," but even a body shop recommended this dealer to me as having a good detailing shop. And...I would get to drive a Mercedes rental car while they worked on it, which is nice compared to an independent where I'd have to arrange my own rental car and someone to drop me off, etc.

My coments:

If anyone new to detailing is reading this post, these are two very good reasons not to use wax or polysealants on your new car. Here are two stories of new car owners who are having to resort to correction to fix flaws in there paint. One might ask exactly what the hell do these overpriced
products provide but a tempory shine.

The problem is that you can never win this game. You will spend hours, and alot of money buying products that will do nothing. Ask any so-called expert this question:

Will these products truly protect my clear coat from the sun and elements? If he says yes, then that person is flat lying to you.

This is just a word of warning to the newbies out there. If you use these products, then you will be in this same situation.
Re: Two common stories from the detailing forums
December 20, 2011 03:59AM
Yes, newbies should either stick to globing on copious amounts of ancient paint selants to mimmick Bill's idea of paint preservation, or hire a professional detailer to accurately correct the swirls and advise you on properly maintaining your car's finish. Which sounds better??? Shiny swirled up paint or shiny non-swirled paint?
December 20, 2011 02:06PM
hire a professional detailer to accurately correct the swirls and advise you on properly maintaining your car's finish. Which sounds better??? Shiny swirled up paint or shiny non-swirled paint?

Maybe you can get some professionals like these to do the work.

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, newbies should either stick to globing on copious amounts of ancient paint selants to mimmick Bill's idea of paint preservation

Once again, here is someone with the brain capacity of a earth worn making a statement based on zero knowledge.
Am I here telling people to use compounds, polishes , glazes , and waxes to make a vehicle look acceptable? Am
I telling you that you have to do it several times a year?

Clearly, this person is so caught up in his ego that he can only distort everything I say. No this is not my idea of paint
preservation. Why is that? Because I do no preserve the paint , I protect the paint.

My method does not require; globing on copious amounts of ancient paint selants . After the first application which takes a little longer. The following one's occur in12 month intervals to maintain the gloss, but not the protection.
February 12, 2012 04:08AM
Quoting Bill :

"...here is someone with the brain capacity of a earth worn making a statement based on zero knowledge. "
"...so caught up in his ego that he can only distort everything I say. "
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Are personal insults acceptable debate on this forum ?
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login