blood

Posted by bobm 
blood
December 07, 2011 03:54AM
best cleaner for dried blood?
Re: blood
December 07, 2011 04:30AM
Bob

You have to be very careful cleaning up blood for your own health and especially if you have employees cleaning up blood, which is considered a "bio-hazard" and is regulated very strictly by the OSHA.

Of course they are not going to come in and check you out, but if per chance an employee got sick, possibly HIV from the blood you could be liable for fines and law suits, etc.

I know you did not ask for a primer on bio-hazard cleaning, but since you brought up the subject I thought I would offer some information gained from years in the business.

Blood is a protein stain, that is, organic material and can be cleaned with a protein stain remover. We have such a product for protein stains and I am sure a great many others have one too.

Key when cleaning blood, brain matter, feces, urine, vomit, etc be sure to wear at least a painter's mask, if not a respirator, rubber gloves; safety glasses and I think they require water proof clothing or an apron.

Just some well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham
December 07, 2011 06:05AM
Bud, I have not as of yet had to encounter blood, until the phone rang last nite. I have scheduled the job for next week for a local body shop. I planned on wearing a tyvek comerall, glasses, resperator gloves and use enzyme. One detailer I spoke to last year told me they charge a minimum of 500 dollars for any kind of bio hazard cleaning. What is this primer you speak of?
December 07, 2011 01:27PM
You should definately charge a premium for bio-hazard removal. It usually depends on the severity and how much the infected part costs to replace. Normally, these types of jobs are involving some sort of insurance claim, so you need to negotiate with the adjuster.
December 07, 2011 10:44PM
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but the first thing that came to my mind was John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction doing that car interior.....

I personally would request that the car be inspected before I even consider pricing it. There are people out there who actually make a heap of money in this sector of the market. Definitely not for everyone though...
December 08, 2011 01:06AM
Got a "black light"?
December 08, 2011 01:11AM
Im beginning to think Im not equipped or experienced enough to handle jobs of this nature yet.
December 08, 2011 01:33AM
December 08, 2011 02:08AM
There is no primer, I was just making a verbal statement.

There are schools you can attend to learn how to do BioHazard Cleaning.

I wrote an article a few years back on biohazard cleaning and will try to find it and will put it in our first DETAIL PLUS newsletter which we are introducing FREE of CHARGE in January every two weeks.

If you want to sign up send an email to: aimee@detailplus.com and simply type in DETAIL PLUS Newsletter.

Regards
Bud Abraham
December 08, 2011 12:34PM
December 12, 2011 03:18AM
I got a blood stain out of household carpet by blotting and rubbing with white cotton towels and L.A.s Totally Awesome Carpet Stain Remover from a dollar store, Dollar Tree, IIRC .

Martha Stewart said "for washables, soak bloodstains in cold water first. Use digestant. If necessary, flush with vingar or hydrogen peroxide. Use an eyedropper to remove color . "

" nonwashables, use diswashing detergent, dab with cool water, and blot out excess moisture ; Dry flat. "

Rug Doctor recommends their proprietary "Spot Remover" and "Odor Remover".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login