Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why no one asks for advice here

Posted by billd55 
Why no one asks for advice here
December 10, 2011 06:51PM
For all you pros here maybe you should read this post from a new member:

Post from Moonlight 46

billd55 your right the others dont understand this is my problem its really not that bad i could easily have them removed at a detail shop but i thought i could get some advice from you guys but i guess not. you see the car is clean , hot and it only has 10,500 miles on it the paint shine like new money except for the water spots the car is perfect if i could post some pic. i would show you its a black charger SRT 6.1 HEMI need i say more.

This is what Ron and Bud will never figure out is that selling and making products does not make you a professional.
Maybe this may wake up Pro-Skeptic to listen instead of running his mouth.

The reason I understand is because I actually get my hands dirty, and listen to what my customers are telling me. Clearly, most of you here have selective hearing assuming the worst cause and ready to dispense advice that is not necessary. Many of you here have said I am chasing people away from this forum, but clearly that is not the case.
Re: Why no one asks for advice here
December 10, 2011 07:20PM
As a a professional I trust my eyes and not the customers words. what might look easy to him might be more technically challenging for us to remediate so I make an effort not to dispense advise on forums or on telephone. A recent example a customer called to say he spilled a 5 gallon of paint in vehicle.. So I suggested he put some wet cloths all over the spilled paint. Whe He arrived there was paint everywhere ...he used a pressure washer to wet everything...I need not describe the horror.
December 10, 2011 11:35PM
As a a professional I trust my eyes and not the customers words. what might look easy to him might be more technically challenging for us to remediate so I make an effort not to dispense advise on forums or on telephone

Gina

When you told the customer to put wet towels on the area you were offering advice. Did you ask what type of paint it was?
If it was a oil paint your suggestion would make little sense because all it would do is smear it around. If it was latex then it would make sense, but you indicate that you did not bother to ask.

By your advice given, the customer may have felt a high pressure sprayer would work better than a wet towel. I would have asked what type of paint it was, and how long it had been on the car before I would have made any suggestion. Either way to be safe you should have said to bring it to your shop as soon as possible.

I trust my eyes to, but when a guy tells me his 11 year old boat is not in that bad of shape. Well, I know better, and I do not even need to see it. Although, I must say first you state that you do not offer advice, but then you go on and mention an example where you do just that. When you state : So I suggested, that sure sounds like giving advice to me.
December 11, 2011 08:01PM
Bill, I just read that thread.... and this. You didn't establish whether the water sports are superficial or etched in the paint. If there is still mineral deposits in the marks and your customer applies the AT5, it won't help the situation. Correction is more than just machine-polishing scratches. It is about properly diagnosing a problem and correcting it.

Personally, I think Moonlight should visit a professional for advice on the problem. A good detailer will be helpful and offer solutions on sight of the paint and it will most likely be free.
December 11, 2011 11:10PM
I asked him to send me a picture of the problem . If I feel that is the case, I will suggest he do that. Although, given the advice by certain people here which was way overboard IMO:

Example:
Just some things for you to consider, however, in my opinion the damage is very deep and just wet sanding and a buffing process will not resolve your concern.

Example:
This car most likely hasn't been properly maintained from day one and has obvious signs of environmental contamination.

Example:
What should be used is a water spot remover which is an acid-based chemical that dissolves the solidified minerals and allows you to wash them off.

First, these 3 pros have not seen the car, and look what they are suggesting. As he says in his postyawning smileythers dont understand this is my problem its really not that bad i could easily have them removed at a detail shop. He has a black car that has not had a wheel put to it yet, and it may not require correction to remove the spots. A claybar may take care of the problem.

Quote:
Personally, I think Moonlight should visit a professional for advice on the problem

Of course you do. Because you think correction is the way to go, followed by a coat of wax. Well, I do not. I think this is a minor issue that can be fixed other than with a wheel. I f that is the case, I can show him how to protect his paint ,and avoid
waxing and correction down the road.
December 12, 2011 03:10AM
Bill you not only have poor reading and comprehension skills but you make assumptions. I said I make an effort not to give advise but obviously there are exceptions and in the case of paint I needed to in order to resolve the problem....who would/could imagine he would pressure wash the interior and splash the paint all over the headliner, seats, dash, walls and flood the vehicle after thoroughly explaining how to wet the cloths and cover the paint... His response I did not have cloths,,
December 12, 2011 12:56PM
Gina

Excuse my mistake on this matter. I agree with you that it is strange someone would use a pressure washer on the inside
of their car, and I guess I assumed it was on the outside.

I agree that is smart to not give advice on forums. Although, many here do without even asking any followup questions.
Many here assume the worst case. Actually, moonlight 46 sent me some pics of the car, and it was not that bad at all as he stated. Actually Doug's advice on using vinegar is a good one followed by a clay bar should do the trick for the paint.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login