Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Sealants/coatings on the market today?

Posted by concoursgarage 
Best Sealants/coatings on the market today?
December 20, 2011 06:38PM
With all due respect this question excludes AT-5 as its benefits have been thoroughly explained here. We need not hear about it in this discussion as it will not add any more information to the subject matter.

What I want is input from detailer's who have tried and used many of the new generation of sealants/coatings.

Let us know what are some of the best sealants/coatings available today and why? what is the new technology and how does it differ from the previous.
Re: Best Sealants/coatings on the market today?
December 20, 2011 06:53PM
Gina

Great question! I am really surprised. Looking for the responses.
December 20, 2011 11:04PM
I mainly use two sealants in my workshop.

For the "everyday" details, I use a sealant called Crystal Diamond Glaze from Restructure Marine Products

[www.restructuremarine.com]

Its a little expensive but I charge a little extra for it. I apply it with a DA and find it to be extremely glossy, durable and hydrohobic. Clients love how easy it is to clean the car when this is applied. RMP say it lasts for up to 3 years, but its best to re-apply every 4 to 6 months (in my opinion). I apply it to wheels and glass (not windscreen) as well as the paint. I got to really like this product as soon as I first used it. Manufacturer says it is Silicon- based as opposed to Silicone, so very stable in the face of chemical corrosion. From what I know of it, the resin was originally derived for ocean-going vessels, so salt isn't a problem for this one. Another benefit is that there is almost zero haze to buff off, which is great when working on freshly-corrected soft paint.

The second one I use is the more expensive upgrade - CarPro CQuartz. This makes the paint a little harder, hydrophobic and more chemical resistant than regular sealants. Its durable for a few years if treated right as well. I like it a lot. It keeps new cars looking newer for a lot longer than anything else (apart from similar technology). At the same time, its not bulletproof. You still get some wash-marks and light swirling but far less than would otherwise occur.

There's a few other bits and pieces on my shelf that I bought to try out. Gloss-It is good, but over-priced for what it is. Zaino products are nice also. I don't use Carnauba except for an odd dark car, but even then it is usually on top of a synthetic for a bit of extra depth when the client arrives to collect the car.
December 20, 2011 11:35PM
December 21, 2011 12:10AM
I

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 12:32AM by billd55.
December 21, 2011 03:05AM
My favorites:

*Opti-Coat - Bulletproof
*HD Nitro Seal - Exreme Gloss & Wetness
*Zaino Z2/Z5 - Candy for paint
*Opti-Seal - hands down easiest to apply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login