Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Trim Dressing

Posted by concoursgarage 
Trim Dressing
December 21, 2011 03:36AM
Are there any new trim dressings that will last for a long time?

Are there any new trim dressings that will not bleed in the rain?
Re: Trim Dressing
December 21, 2011 03:40AM
I guess I just assumed that the back to black diddnt bleed in rain, il check tomorrow, thanks for opening my eyes on this one!
December 21, 2011 03:42AM
Back to black is a dye/paint... trim dressing like - stoners, meguiars, etc ... dissipates quickly and can bleed in rain
December 21, 2011 09:41PM
I haven't seen any "trade" products that don't bleed in the rain after application...
December 21, 2011 11:37PM
If you have removed the silicone dressings, got the trim really clean, you can apply just the UVGard from the ETR kit, it will last on a clean surface for years.
If the trim is discolored, use the entire system to restore it permanently.
December 22, 2011 09:21PM
Yep, its not bad that UV Guard. Those dyes don't really work greatg on the very smooth plastic though. The grainy ones are best for really rejuvenating and holding on to the pigment.
December 22, 2011 10:47PM
You can spray on ETR with a small paasche gun on smooth plastic and it comes out fantastic.
December 22, 2011 11:53PM
Grumpy2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have removed the silicone dressings, got
> the trim really clean, you can apply just the
> UVGard from the ETR kit, it will last on a clean
> surface for years.
> If the trim is discolored, use the entire system
> to restore it permanently.

Is this the product GM requested when correcting the fading problem on Avalanche trucks a few years ago?
December 23, 2011 12:33AM
I did a little testing of back to black today....... that stuff aint worth a pinch of s#*t...
December 23, 2011 12:46AM
I know it's just going to be temporary, but do you have any experience with Auto Magic's Bumper Magic? [www.automagic.com]
December 23, 2011 12:58AM
I was just thinking that same thing since auto magic is my main supplier
December 23, 2011 01:09AM
Bumper magic is just their magic dressing with a thickener in it.
December 23, 2011 01:52AM
And probably a different color and smell as MD is blue right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 01:53AM by Pro-Techt.
December 23, 2011 05:05PM
You know I had one in my tried that don't like it cupboard for years, must have thrown it away the last time I cleaned it out!
you know when you open it and sh**t falls out! Time to empty and start over LOL

But I do remember it was close to the same color and smell, it could have been the solvent smell though.

It was gooey, sticky, slimy, got on everything, rubbed off on customers clothes etc.

Like I said Tried it didn't like it!!
December 23, 2011 08:13PM
The ColorGard is the black part of the ETR. It may be sprayed, but in those uses, suggest that after cleaning the parts (like fender flares on a Jeep, scuff with 320 or 400. This will promote a much better bond on smooth parts. Follow up with the UVGard, it may be applied with the sponge over the ColorGard or you can spray it as well.
Gun clean-up is soap and water.
Keep the parts away from rain or water for 24 hours when it has been sprayed.
The product that GM recommended for the first three years of the Avalance was made of shellac and turnpetine.
It worked better than antything else at the time.
The vendor to GM used a lot of internal release agent when molding the bed cover and surounding trim. This did not allow the ETR to adhere to the parts, It would come off in a week or so.
GM changed the part in the 4th year and the ETR will work on those vehicles.
The ETR is an emulsion of acrylics and latex resins which dries to a coating that we always instructed would last for 3 years minimum.
When Hyundai's lab tested it for longivity, they found the parts treated with it would outlast new parts and last for 5 years plus.
They then purchased one kit for every dealer in the US and Canada and told them to stop replacing discolored parts and use the ETR instead.
The original parts had been subjected to a clorinated solvent cleaner at their port operations and that is what discolored them.
Since the use of the ETR on a part would outlast a brand new part and was a saving of over $200 per vehicle, they chose to use the ETR to correct the vehicles.
December 25, 2011 01:03PM
trim dressings are a complete waste of time
instead I use coatings that darken them
Opti coat, Permanon supershine, Gtechniq C4, Ark barrier (japanese hardened glass coating)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login