Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT-5

Posted by moonlight46 
AT-5
December 31, 2011 01:27AM
I just wanted to let everyone on this form know about AT-5. I recieved a sample of this product from Billd55 about a week ago I couldn't apply it until today because of rain and cold weather and I am please to report that this product is just truely AMAZING!!!!! The shine is like looking in a mirror I have used wax and polishes for over 30 years and I can truthfully say I have never seen a wax or polish produce a shine like AT-5 does. It was easy to apply I did my car in about 3 hrs from wash to finish the product comes off as easy as it applies just make you do it in the shade or early in the morning when it's cool and you want have any problem I used a wax remover to get rid of the old wax and so the sealer would bond to the clear coat and now I have a shine I am proud of. Billd55 you have a great product thank you. So for all you doubter out there all I can say is just try AT-5 and see for yourself. P.S.HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY
Re: AT-5
December 31, 2011 05:00PM
Happy New Year, Moonlight46. Thanks for posting your feedback.
January 02, 2012 12:37AM
Here is a truck that I applied At-5 to eight years ago. It has not been touched since .

[www.youtube.com]
January 02, 2012 01:39AM
Perhaps my eyes deceive me but the left jamb between hood and fender is full of either wax or compound residue... strange if no work was done during the past 8 years. I also do not find it credible that he has said ....he has washed the vehicle around twice and we are to believe that is somehow true..

The damage on the roof is clear coat failure and caused from faulty painting during the manufacturing process. It is quite common on these vehicles and would be more evident in climate where the vehicle is parked outdoors with a lot of exposure to sun

FYI
Automotive painting is a science.

A typical finish consists of four layers:
1) electrocoat - provides corrosion protection
2) primer - protects electrocoat, stone chip resistance, adhesion
between basecoat and elctrocoat
3) basecoat - provides color to the vehicle
4) clearcoat - sunlight protection, scratch resistance, gloss and appearance properties

Film thickness is a criteria used by the auto industry to ensure durability.

Each of the 4 layers must be at the proper film thickness specification.

If any of the individual layers is below specification. The vehicle would be considered a factory paint defect.

A visible manifestation of low film thickness is paint peeling, body rusting and stone chipping.

Since the mid 1990s the auto industry while retaining ownership of the paint facilities have outsourced the process and quality responsibilities to multiple paint suppliers.

Outsourcing in this application is defined as a process in which a company assigns its in-house operations to a third party.

Specifics on automotive paint suppliers roles within the facilities may be found in textbooks published both in Europe and America. The most recent textbook being released in 2008.

The paint suppliers actively market and advertise their outsourcing expertise with terms such as
"Cost Per Unit" or "Pay As Painted" supplier programs. Outsourcing [Cost Per Unit] programs are common throughout Europe and America within the auto industry.

Not all vehicle flaws are associated with the paint itself, vehicle design and weathering will impact the vehicle's finish.

It is our opinion that the automaker, auto dealer and consumer should not receive a vehicle painted
below the automaker's film thickness specifications of any of the four layers that comprise a vehicle's finish.

We have analyzed the film thickness data of over 11,000 vehicles and have found that the measurements are below the automakers' specifications.

Low film thickness will cause paint failures.

Investigation summarized in press releases:
[www.mmdnewswire.com]...
and
[www.mmdnewswire.com]...

A quick internet search for the following:

Toyota Paint Problems, Toyota Paint Peeling
Ford Paint Problems, Ford Paint Peeling
GM Paint Problems, GM Paint Peeling
Chrysler Paint Problems, Chrysler Paint Peeling
Honda Paint Problems, Honda Paint Peeling
Nissan Paint Problems, Nissan Paint Peeling

will return results back in the millions.

Public Interest best served by a "Truth in Finish Disclosure" with the purchase of any vehicle.
January 02, 2012 04:09AM
Quote:

The damage on the roof is clear coat failure and caused from faulty painting during the manufacturing process.

This paint damage was caused for one reason which is very apparent . The windshield wiper spray was the cause .
The fluid was allowed to dry and break down the clear coat over time.

Quote:

Perhaps my eyes deceive me but the left jamb between hood and fender is full of either wax or compound residue... strange if no work was done during the past 8 years. I also do not find it credible that he has said ....he has washed the vehicle around twice and we are to believe that is somehow true.

Yes , that is residue you see. It was applied by the owner of the truck when done this time. Gina, I really did not expect you to say anything different , nor would I expect you to except moonlight46 review either.
January 02, 2012 01:43PM
If it hasn't been washed but twice in 8 yrs that will explain the lack of wash-damage obviously. Otherwise, nothing is notable except for the above average amount of bird-dropping etches, clear coat failure and water-marks. I thought that AT-5 could stand up to jet-fuel, so how come washer fluid is destroying the paint? Washer fluid is about as volatile as your dawn wash, no? In my opinion, this video is counter-productive for an AT-5 endorsement.
January 02, 2012 04:11PM
billd55 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quote:
> This paint damage was caused for one reason which
> is very apparent . The windshield wiper spray was
> the cause .
> The fluid was allowed to dry and break down the
> clear coat over time.
>

You can't be serious!! LMFAO!!!!
January 02, 2012 07:26PM
Quote;
You can't be serious!! LMFAO!!!!

I am very serious. If you look closely you will notice that the spots on the roof where the paint delaminated line up with were
the windshield fluid spray pattern is .
January 02, 2012 10:10PM
Quote:

. I thought that AT-5 could stand up to jet-fuel, so how come washer fluid is destroying the paint? Washer fluid is about as volatile as your dawn wash, no?

From MSDS for Dawn:

Liquid hand dishwashing detergents have a relatively low order of toxicity, may cause transient irritation and are
expected to be emetic.
Chronic Effects: No chronic health effects reported.
Target Organs: No target organs reported.
Carcinogenicity: This finished product is not carcinogenic. NTP: No IARC: No OSHA: No

A warning off a bottle of Prestone Bug Wash:

DANGER POISON

Contains methyl alcohol. Cannot be made nonpoisonous. Use in well ventilated area. Avoid skin and eye contact.

Washer fluid is about as volatile as your dawn wash, no? I would say they are not close at all IMO.

Profile Detailer

I have never said that AT-5 will last forever. I really do not get your point about jet fuel, and when did I say it could withstand it either . Over time AT-5 will wear down,and things will damage the paint like bird crap , bugs, and salt if the applications are not repeated. For a long time, the sealant prevented alot of damage, and the fact that Tim never washed the vehicle allowed bad things to stay on the paint to wear on the protection.

If Tim would have continued applying the AT-5 at least once a year, the wiper spray would have had no effect on the paint,
nor the other things either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 12:30PM by billd55.
January 03, 2012 06:16AM
Thanks for the update Moonlight. Please keep us posted on how AT-5 holds up. Let us know when(if) the car looses any of it's freshly detailed shine. And also if the beading characteristics change too.

As far as the Tacoma paint goes.......It's a textbook case of clear coat failure & I've seen it quite often. Toyotas in this era were know for having/using some of the worst clear coat on the market. Their are tons of documented cases that a simply Google search would support this. It's actually even more prevelant in warm and sunny climates as it's a challenge for this paint to hold up. In this case of the video that Bill posted and the truck hardly being washed in 8 years. Maybe the thick film of dirt that was on the surface acted as a UV barrier somehow?

Here's some advanced cases of failure from a similar era'd Toyota:

January 03, 2012 12:37PM
Quote:

.It's a textbook case of clear coat failure & I've seen it quite often. Toyotas

If that is the case, why is it the only spots where the clearcoat failed on the whole car were in those two spots on the roof.
Why did it not occur on the hood?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login