Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What new members REALLY need to know about detailing

Posted by billd55 
What new members REALLY need to know about detailing
January 17, 2012 02:13PM
1. "Best" is subjective when it comes to waxes and sealants. Too many variables for there to be a single, all around best wax or sealant. Do you want durability? Sharp reflections? Super wetness? Incredible depth? Is your car a daily driver? Garage queen? Do you have acid rain/fallout issues where you live? What is the annual rainfall in your area? Average temperature? How harsh are your winters? How hot are your summers? Do you have to park under trees?

2. No one knows how many passes with a machine it will take to remove your defects. It takes however many passes it takes. Even those of us who do this for a living can't look at a car right in front of us and know how many passes it will take and it can be different from panel to panel.

3. Similarly, we don't know what pad/polish/speed combo it will take to correct your paint either. Even the same cars, painted the same day will respond differently. Many a time, I've had a stack of pads and several bottles of polish sitting next to a car trying to find the right combination.

4. It is spelled "Meguiar's", not "Meguire's". Learn it, love it, live it.

5. The Professional Detailer's General Forum is not for asking what wax or polish to use. It is for general discussions of the business of professional detailing. The Car Detailing or Product Discussion forums have higher traffic and you will get a lot more input.

6. There is no one single person here who knows everything about detailing. Focusing on what just one person does or uses 8. (fron JuneBug) I would like to add, if you're just starting out - KISS, as in keep it simple stupid, if you go out and try to buy every product, 1 you'll be broke and 2 you'll never get good at anything.

Definitely agree. Stop making detailing hard and complicated, it really isn't.

1. Evaluate
2. Clean
3. Evaluate again
4. Correct
5. Check work carefully
6. Protect.

7. (from Salty) Stop wet sanding or heavy cutting without the proper experience and then asking is this damaged, when you know it is.

8. (fron JuneBug) I would like to add, if you're just starting out - KISS, as in keep it simple stupid, if you go out and try to buy every product, 1 you'll be broke and 2 you'll never get good at anything.

1. Evaluate
2. Clean
3. Evaluate again
4. Correct
5. Check work carefully
6. Protect.

9. (from carn00bie) there has been an awful lot of newbs posting, rather than searching lately.

10. When you polish your car and whatever you are using isn't working to your satisfaction, don't run to your computer and make a post about not being able to get the swirls out and then ask "should I use a more aggressive polish/pad?". Here is the answer- "yes". Now you don't have to get mad when 3 hours later your post doesn't have any replies.

Please use a little common sense. Assuming you are using proper technique (use speeds of 5-6 with a DA buffer, enough pressure to lightly slow the spinning-then letting up just enough for the speed to pick back up, and moving the buffer about 1-2" per second in 50% overlapping passes) if you aren't removing the swirls/defects you need a more aggressive polish, pad or both.

11. It is BRAKE dust, not BREAK dust.

Last edited by Scottwax; 09-09-09 at 01:27.

My comments:

I posted this post from the autopia detailing forum. The author gives 11 points what newbies should know.

Quote:

6. There is no one single person here who knows everything about detailing. Focusing on what just one person does or uses will limit your knowledge.

I find this a interesting statement. Considering this guy is a correction detailer, and does nothing but correction work.

8. (fron JuneBug) I would like to add, if you're just starting out - KISS, as in keep it simple stupid, if you go out and try to buy every product, 1 you'll be broke and 2 you'll never get good at anything.

1. Evaluate
2. Clean
3. Evaluate again
4. Correct
5. Check work carefully
6. Protect.

I really find this statement a complete joke. When newbies go on forums to get advice they are bombarded with suggestions of which wax or sealant to use. Then once they get swirls they need advice on how to remove them, so polishes,compounds, polishers, and pads are needed.

Basically, all these products are the same, and do about the same thing. Most detailers never stay with one product,
and are constantly trying new products that are no different from the ones they are using now.

Getting good at removing swirl marks is really something I do not want to be known for. Also, learning to cover flaws , and remove them are not either. "Focusing on what just one person does or uses will limit your knowledge." All correction detailers know is how to polish to fix things.They have no real info on protecting the clear except the flavor of the month wax/sealant they are now using.

Detailing is not that hard if you understand one thing. Damage to the clear coat by the sun, bugs, bird crap, or a million other
thing is what makes detailing hard and time consuming. Once damage is present, then correction will be needed to fix it,
but taking the time to find a sealant that actually protects will save money spent on products you do not need and time wasted learning things that you do not need to know.
Re: What new members REALLY need to know about detailing
February 02, 2012 08:42AM
My List For New Members to Know :

1) Zaino's Web address . WWW.Zainostore.com

2) That frequent washing is more important than which wax you use .

3) To try products or techniques on a test spot first .

4) That washing the engine compartment can cause trouble...

5) To wear gloves and eye protection

6) To try the mildest chemical first and move to harsher chemicals until something works .

7) To find out if the wheels are clearcoated before using the Brillo pads LOL.

8) What an MSDS is.

9) Not to spray glass cleaner directly onto the instrument panel.

10) That every little thing you do adds to the overall effect .

11) How to use the search feature of this phorum .

12) To go back to college LOL.

Doug
Re: What new members REALLY need to know about detailing
February 20, 2012 03:26PM
This advice comes from a guy who states this about his experience:

I am a guy who details for money here and there but has not yet figured out how a full-fledged business in this field ever turns a profit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login