WHY DO NICE GUYS FAIL...
January 25, 2012 07:28PM
Who would like to comment on this statement:

"Why Do Nice Guys Fail and SOB's Succeed in Small Business?"

Regards
Bud Abraham
Re: WHY DO NICE GUYS FAIL...
January 26, 2012 03:10AM
Always nice guys finish last.Because their nice guys, they get stepped on a lot.
January 26, 2012 02:39PM
I am not sure if that is always true...but I think nice guys perhaps are people pleasers who have feelings of guilt about being adequately compensated for work and not asserting themselves enough..
January 26, 2012 10:19PM
Bud, are you trying to tell us something about yourself? winking smiley
January 27, 2012 02:08AM
I don't think so.
Bud can be difficult, but after knowing and having him as a competitor for 25 years, he is not a "nice guy" nor a "bad guy", he is a businessman in a tough business.
The distribution of car care chemicals is tough.
Takes millions to just gain a small market share, and like the companies I worked for, those millions were not available, so like Bud, used what I had for the company to gain recognition.
Grumpy
January 28, 2012 05:43PM
Thanks all for the replies, and thanks Ketch for the kind comments.

Actually, I am reading a book titled "Why Nice Guys Fail and SOB's Succeed in Small Business."

Thought I would see what the community thought about this statement. Will share a synopsis of the philosophy of the book when completed.

In the meantime, would love to know what others think.

Regards
Bud Abraham
February 02, 2012 06:39AM
Bud-
Thought-provoking subject ! A lot of human interaction doesn't work the way we expect it to . I remember reading about a successful female real estate broker who said one of her requirements for hiring a new agent was that the agent not be too nice .

" The Insider's Guide For Buying A New Or Used Car " by Burke Leon notes that nice people get pushed around a lot .

Years ago, I read another book , on real estate investing, entitled " Winning Through Intimidation ". The author advised dressing, setting up an office and acting in a manner to make people respect you.

I've always been nice to people. I've gotten a raft of poop from some people but in some jobs I've had, customers complimented me and business increased . I have become more assertive over time but not an SOB . I'm no longer overly polite . Examples :
1) " I hate to bother you but..."
2 ) " May we have some extra napkins ? "

I was taught by a sales manager to be definite and enthusiastic when speaking to a customer. Examples :
1) " I can ask my manager if we can do it..."
2) " Out of the question, sir ! That is not something we do in this shop . Call me if you decide you want to do what we suggested. I'm here for you . "

I guess the big question is whether you can get the results you need with assertiveness and without meaness .

This subject reminded me of a road test report in a car magazine. The woman test driver compared a certain car to types of men, saying, " It isn't the captain of the football team or the 'bad boy '. It is the 'nice guy ' . And if you're a nice guy, you know where this is going . "

Doug
February 02, 2012 06:46AM
What did Leo Derocher say, "nice guys don't win ballgames."
February 02, 2012 07:19AM
Bud-
If memory serves, there is testimony that "Leo the Lip" Durocher cheated by rigging up a telephone so that a man stealing signs could call them in to the dugout or something --anyway, the hitters knew what pitch was coming and that may be how Tommy Thompson hit a legendary homer . IIRC the article was in the Wall Street Journal ...
Nice guy !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login