Story behind the Dealership hacks
February 13, 2012 08:29PM
A post from the Autopia Detailing Forum:

Detailing was a great hobby of mine. I enjoy it as much as the professional on here does. I have had many experiences with many product over the last decade. So here's my story:

I had a good life in Boston, but due to drama with the in-law, my own sister and the company. I had enough and move across the US with my wife and 5 months old daughter. I didn't want to move without a job. I was fortunate enough to get a warehouse management while vacation in Portland for a week. Sound good? No, not really as things turn sour. I moved on the 3rd of November. I did not know that the company went into a financial crisis and was cut along with everyone in the warehouse right after Thanksgiving. Extra FEAST to take in, eh?

For months, I was unable to even obtain a job. I was very disappointed. I held a GM and was getting $27/hr position for 5 years. Luckily I had money saved for mortgages to pay and my duplex in Boson was able to cover my expenses in Portland. On February 23, there was an opening at a dealership being a detailer. I quickly jump on it and qualify as I know what I was doing. Hooray! Although my pay was only at $12/hr flat rate. What does that mean? Meaning, anything comes in that needs a full detail gets 3hr pay. Truck, SUV, Van and minivan are 4hrs job. If we finish before 4 hours on a truck, suv, van and minivan then we still get the flat rate of 4 hours. Get it?

I had to lower myself so I can finish faster. I'd love to finish the car doing a complete work (Wash, Clay, Prep, Compound, Polish, Jewel and Wax), but I have a family to feed and a daughter to take care of. That's why we do what we can in a timely manner. If you thinks I will spend 8 hours to get pay 4 hours on truck is crazy. Remember because of us hacks, you guys get pay to do their car, too. I hope you all understand why we do this and don't blame it on all of dealer hacks.

Now I know why freaking dealer's detailers hacks and hope I shed some lights to all of you.

PS. Jesus that 1 step polish they use have massive grease and fillers. It literally covers every thing until you wash it more than 3 times. After that you'll see all the minor scratch pop up out and of course buffer trails! Oh, and they use one step wool pad for everything. At least I have the decency to use a white pad.

Thank you all.

My comments:

Wow, this is some strange logic going on here. I see the posters point of view here when he says this:

If you thinks I will spend 8 hours to get pay 4 hours on truck is crazy.

Although, this statement is really what it is all about as far as I am concerned with today's detailing industry:

Remember because of us hacks, you guys get paid to do their car, too. I hope you all understand why we do this and don't blame it on all of dealer hacks.

Before you all scream I am attacking this guy. I am not. I see his point completely, but not his conclusion. He seems to justify that because he is forced to do sub par work , it gives correction detailers work as a good thing. I certainly
understand why he does it, but I am sorry that does not give him or the dealership a pass for doing crap work IMO.

Quote:

PS. Jesus that 1 step polish they use have massive grease and fillers. It literally covers every thing until you wash it more than 3 times. After that you'll see all the minor scratch pop up out and of course buffer trails! Oh, and they use one step wool pad for everything. At least I have the decency to use a white pad.

Does anyone consider the person who buys this car from the dealership? Of course not! The dealership just passes it off
to the correction detailer, and the vehicle owner is stuck paying for having to remove all the " massive grease and fillers."
applied plus fixing the damage from polishing with a wool pad.

Hopefully this will explain why people look at our business the way they do. Bud likes to say it is that back alley detailers are the problem, but are they?Dealerships are licensed and insured businesses , and one would think they should know by now
what the effects are, and the damage caused from using these types of products ,and paying low labor rates. Clearly,
it is all about money with them, and making a car look better than it is. Real honesty here .

When I show you all these posts from correction detailers that come from dealerships, and you say to me how do I know they put anything on as far as waxes/sealants goes. Well I finally hope this argument can be put to rest.

Imagine how many dealerships do this very exact thing every day all over the US, and it is not hard to understand why correction detailers stay in business. Does anyone question this practice, or speak out about it. Well, car salesman
make money selling cars, and consider why they have the reputation they have. I am sure if you asked them why the
public felt the the way they do about them. They would say it is not because of what they do.
Re: Story behind the Dealership hacks
February 16, 2012 04:49AM
There is more to it than that, you have to look at it drom the business/profit standpoint
Re: Story behind the Dealership hacks
February 16, 2012 04:51AM
From not drom, fat thumb......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login