Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Interior Paint Spills & Stains

Posted by Profile Detailer 
Interior Paint Spills & Stains
March 07, 2012 09:10PM
Hi guys,

I've been doing a few pre-sale commercial vehicle details recently. The recession is hitting many trade people and so they are either selling their assets, down-sizing or emigrating - some are doing all three unfortunately.

I did an electrician's Mitsubishi 4x4 a few days ago. What a mess - years of smoking, never cleaned apart from the rare vacuum cleaning I reckon. It came up well though (the exterior was red that faded to pink as well. The owner didn't recognise it at collection!)

In a few days time I have a Painter's van coming in for lettering-removal and polishing along with a full interior detail. I know there will be paint stains in there! How could there not be...

So what do you guys recommend for paint stains? Water-based paint is usually fine and comes away beautifully with a little patience, steam and upholstery cleaner. But the oil-based glossy paints are hell to clean. Especially if they have been there for a long time.

What do you like to use to get the interior back to new? The list would start with the obvious - Tar remover, paint thinner, white spirits, naphtha, etc. Has anyone tried using plastic or metal "blades" to mechanically rub the paint off?

Thanks. smiling smiley
Re: Interior Paint Spills & Stains
March 08, 2012 04:45AM
Be very careful where you use it but, try EZ-OFF OVEN CLEANER on those paint stains. Even on water-based paint too.

Heard this is a tried and true "trick" used by paint shops to remove exterior lettering on trucks.

All I know to tell you is that EZ-OFF is a very high pH alkaline cleaner with a great deal of sodium hydroxide in the formulation. (caustic).

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
March 09, 2012 03:39PM
Bud - What happened to being "a firm believer in using chemicals "only" for the purpose they were formulated for"?
March 16, 2012 11:48PM
Only passing on a solution that several competent and well-trained collision repair technicians have told me works. I checked with my chemist and he indicates there is nothing in EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner that would harm a paint finish, so his recommendation was, "if it works and you experience no damage, use it."

Maybe we should package it and call it "Paint Remover?" What do you think?

I can get you the exclusive distributorship for "DETAIL PLUS Paint Remover" for Australia.

Regards
Bud Abraham
March 18, 2012 03:00PM
Bud – You’re confused on several fronts. (1) this conversation is about removing paint from INTERIORS. Not exterior painted surfaces! (2) I’m not from Australia??

I'm simply going by what you criticized me for where I mentioned using glass cleaner to spruce up carpeting. Your reply was as follows withing quotes[]:

: “I am not here to tell you what to do. Only that it is much safer in our business to use chemicals for the purpose that they were formulated.

Using your logic that glass cleaner works on carpets, then you could juse Joy to wash your hair and liquid laundry detergent to bathe in? Or, engine degreaser as a carpet shampoo or leather cleaner. God knows they would all work well. Right?

Did you stop to think there might be elements in glass cleaner that could harm the carpet, long-term, or cause it to resoil faster?”[END QUOTE]

I guess a caustic cleaner is a better choice??
March 18, 2012 08:27PM
You are correct, but that is worthwhile information isn't it?

I had you confused with Profile Detailer, who I believe is from Australia, or am I wrong about that too.

And, you are correct in saying that you should use chemicals for what they were formulated for.

HOWEVER, having done research with a person who knows, a chemist, I found that there was nothing in EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner that would in any way harm automotive paint. That means, "safe to use with no fear of damage."

If you use glass cleaner on carpets do you know what the ingredients in the glass cleaner, such as ammonia or alcohol or gylcol ether might do to carpet fibers? If not, then you are taking a chance in using this on carpets, in my opinion.

But, if you want to continue to use glass cleaner that certainly is your choice, and we do make a great, ready to use, non-alcohol glass cleaner if you are interested.

Bud Abraham
March 18, 2012 09:19PM
LOL, no I'm not from Australia either. You are thinking of the member SVR. No harm though.... Wish I was in Oz right now actually!

Pro-Techt, what way do you use Glass cleaner on carpets to spruce them up. Is it just for cars that need a quick wipe or do you use it after the extractor. Alcohol or non-alcoholic cleaner? winking smiley

I had one supplier telling me that his water-based dressing can be used to enrich the appearance of carpets. I commented about safety concerns and his reply was that it is "bound-silicon" in the dressing so it is safe once it dries. Personally, I don't know what that means exactly, but I don't want to leave myself vulnerable in the event that somebody's greasy foot slips off the brake pedal.
March 19, 2012 01:20AM
Run Forrest, run!
Your supplier is not all that bright when it comes to products or the chemistry that makes them what they are.
Grumpy
March 19, 2012 10:49PM
Sales reps can be so full of BS! They call into me periodically - cold calls, basically, after doing google searches, etc for local professionals - but I usually end up training them on their own products as they don't have a clue other than the BS that somebody gave them at the "induction training".

In a way, its good as it gives me an insight into the company as well as the products. I know who to kick out! The other side of it is that it reinforces my preference for the products I keep on my shelf. Ever come across Max Lehner in your industry experience, Ketch? His is one of the brands I like a lot.
March 31, 2012 09:28PM

You are correct, but that is worthwhile information isn't it?

Not in a thread about removing paint from Interiors.

HOWEVER, having done research with a person who knows, a chemist, I found that there was nothing in EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner that would in any way harm automotive paint. That means, "safe to use with no fear of damage."

If your chemist told you to jump off a bridge would you take his advice because he’s your chemist? Fact is, most chemists have close to no real world hands on detailing experience. That’s probably why there’s so many piss poor detailing products that have flooded the market over the years. Company leaders take their info as gospel and they bring products to market without giving it to detailers to test prior.

You say you’ve “done research” huh? What did that consist of?? Have you ever used EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner on an oxidized dark colored van covered in painted lettering to see what happens when you let it dwell too long?? I doubt your chemist has? Have yourself a ball and try that one for me and report back to your chemist what your findings were to see if he adds any disclaimer about it’s use.

If you use glass cleaner on carpets do you know what the ingredients in the glass cleaner, such as ammonia or alcohol or gylcol ether might do to carpet fibers? If not, then you are taking a chance in using this on carpets, in my opinion.

I've used it on many 100’s of vehicles (including my own) and haven’t had any issues. It works great and that’s why I tell people to try it. Unless you can provide some kind of real world info on how glass cleaner will affect carpet fibers then I’ll keep using this workflow.
March 31, 2012 09:46PM

Pro-Techt, what way do you use Glass cleaner on carpets to spruce them up. Is it just for cars that need a quick wipe or do you use it after the extractor. Alcohol or non-alcoholic cleaner?

You can use it in a variety of ways. Mostly light duty general cleaning. It can also work great in browning situations when needed. Mostly concentrates and aerosols.

I had one supplier telling me that his water-based dressing can be used to enrich the appearance of carpets. I commented about safety concerns and his reply was that it is "bound-silicon" in the dressing so it is safe once it dries. Personally, I don't know what that means exactly, but I don't want to leave myself vulnerable in the event that somebody's greasy foot slips off the brake pedal.

Auto Magic used to sell a Carpet Dressing that worked great at restoring/brightening fabric after cleaning. It didn’t have a greasy feel. I wouldn’t use a standard tire/trim dressing either!!
April 01, 2012 04:03PM
Our chemist and everyone I know who work with detail chemical companies are very savy when it comes to "real world" situations. What do you think they do when they develop products, just put them out to market without testing?

Come on, fellows don't confuse a detail chemical salesperson with a knowledgeable chemist in his field. Our chemist has over 30 years experience working in the field of car care chemical products.

Ask Ketch who has worked in the real world and for chemical companies all his life, he knows that chemists are knowledgeable.

They are certainly more knowledgeable than most of us who banter our ideas about chemicals around.

Bud A
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login