Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Water spots

Posted by personal touch 
Water spots
November 05, 2012 04:40PM
What is the best method to get rid of water spots on windows? Any tips, chemical mixtures etc?
Re: Water spots
November 09, 2012 05:31AM
Use a "000" steel wool and glass polish and lightly scrub the affected windows with the polish and steel wool. Let it haze and wipe off. If any spots remain repeat process on those areas.
November 09, 2012 05:08PM
BE CAREFULL with steel wool especially on automotive glass and NEVER on front and rear glass!
In the days gone by the use of SW was the accepted way of removing water spots on glass.
But now the window glass is part of the passive restraint system and scratches very easily.
You'll find that most all professional detailers haven't used steel wool on glass for over 10 years now!
We use bug sponges either ridged foam or a netted style with a chemical water spot remover.
You can purchase this product from any distributor of high quality detailing products.
November 11, 2012 11:15PM
While I would agree that SW must be used carefully, I disagree that it cannot be used as indicated.

Not all steel wool is the same. Typically a DETAILER will have "00" SW to remove rust from metal.

Absolutely this is nor recommended on glass, but "000" or better "0000"
Steel wool is more gentle than an insect removal pad with a telon net which can scratch the glass.

While water spot remover is ok on paint when used properly, remember it is an acid and acid can etch glass.

In fact a chemical mfg told me they stopped offering water spit remover because it was an acid and they just had too many problems being blamed for etching in paint and glass by improper use.

In more than 30 years in the business the process offered does not fail.

I know many Detailers who advocate the use of a buffer, cutting pad and compound to remove water spots on glass and swear by it.

Regards
November 12, 2012 08:31PM
Thanks guys. I have been puzzled with the best method. Think i will try them both.
November 13, 2012 09:30PM
Be sure the water spot remover chemical can be used on glass as well as paint.
November 19, 2012 04:09PM
Custom detail is correct with steel wool even 000 can damage the glass... I know better and have seen the problem first hand...a good thing I was able to correct the damage
November 20, 2012 05:50AM
Gina how do you know the damage was created with 000 steel wool?

All I can say is that we have used that technique for 32 years and no problems.

If it were 000 as you alledge how do you know what medium they used? Maybe it was rubbing compound with aggressive abrasive.

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 20, 2012 05:17PM
Bud my suggestion is for you to actually try it your way on some modern glass, that is cars and trucks 10 yrs. old and newer and report back.

In fact here is the perfect one, a SUV with tinted side glass!

I asked my lead man this morning when the last time we used SW on glass?

His response was 2001 and could remember the make model and color! That's how much of a impression that screw up on our part made on him!!!

Now I respect you knowledge and experience in this Business, and you have been referred to as the "MOSES" of detailing!
Sometimes the old ways and products are not a good fit with today finishes.

Those of us that are in the trenches everyday whether the shop or in the field, we need to stay in step with the new procedures, products, and equipment.

This actually is a very exciting time in this business for those of us that start with nothing more stone axes and chisels LOL
November 20, 2012 11:08PM
It was the steel wool... I have used the same product with steel wool for years and it always worked miracles.. and never had a problem...as custom detail stated it was a side window on a suv and it scratched...it was a good thing I was able to polish it out.
November 21, 2012 03:04AM
I always used 0000 steel wool.
November 22, 2012 10:37PM
Custom thanks for your post about spotting.

You comment about "the old ways" as though we do not adapt to new technologies and methodologies.

Our company tries to stay on the cutting edge of technology either introducing new technology or incorporating same into our equipment lines and programs.

They say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I read what you and Gina are saying but my experience has been that it works on old glass and new glass without scratching. Personally I would rather use steel wool than put acid on glass.

Custom and Gina what then do you do to remove water spotting from glass?

Regards
Bud Abraham
November 24, 2012 07:05PM
Some spotting is simply temporary and caused by failing to wipe the windows dry. Some damage is caused by acid rain etching the surface. Classic water spots are caused by minerals that are left behind as water drops dry .

I've used white vinegar, which is mildly acidic, to remove water spots . This method is often recommended but didn't work well for me .
Griotsgarage.com and zainostore.com have glass polishes that are claimed to remove water spots . I tested a similar product that was made by Rain-X but I only used it on glass shower doors . Results seemed good .
I've read that you can clay the windows to remove water spots but never tried it .

Hope that is some help .
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login