Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SEATS & CARPETS in or OUT?

Posted by buda 
SEATS & CARPETS in or OUT?
July 23, 2013 09:53AM
Presently in Saudi Arabia training a staff at a new DETAIL PLUS Centre.

Here the detail operations take the seats and carpets out of every car in order to "properly" clean them.

What about you, do you think this is necessary, why or why not.

Do you do it, would you do it?

Under what conditions.

Of course, you charge the customer for this "extra" service charge. Quite labor-intensive.

Regards
Bud Abraham
Re: SEATS & CARPETS in or OUT?
August 08, 2013 04:25AM
Bud-
Saudi Arabia has a lot of customs I prefer to do without . Maybe labor is cheap over there and it is possible that removing the seats makes sense over there . Watch out for any airbags and follow proper procedures, though !!!!

I think that removing the seats creates the possibility of damaging a fastener or failing to tighten fasteners properly . There is a limit to what customers will pay so I think it best to avoid extra work that forces the price higher . Show car detailing is a different matter .
Skillful use of various vacuum cleaner attachments, brushing with a carpet brush and using a grout brush at the seat mounts, spot removal with a towel and chemical, steam vapor and final extraction should give satisfactory results and save time over seat removal .
Doug

" There's the right way, the wrong way and the fast way . I do everything the fast way " .
- a mechanic I knew-
Re: SEATS & CARPETS in or OUT?
August 14, 2013 09:46PM
Sometimes it is as efficient to take the seats out and do the job thoroughly than to try work the narrow gaps and crevices. But like Doug says, you need to watch out for air-bags, etc. For example, if you don't unhook a BMW from its battery for about two hours before hand, you will get air-bag warning lights on the dash.

I use a compressor with Tornador and a steamer to get rid of the gunk from under the seats. I suppose one of the good things about doing it in the UAE is that you can do more wet-work than in colder countries. Its going to dry pretty quickly in that heat.

Hey, Bud... hope you are showing them how to use those upholstery brushes on the air tool. Great little gadget!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login