Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NO SOAP

Posted by Steve Solomon 
NO SOAP
January 19, 2002 12:26AM
Anothe "detailing" website states that several European carmakers recommend washing with only "pure" water. Where I live we are only allowed to rinse; no detergents allowed. I expect delivery on my black Volvo s60 in about 5 weeks and plan to initially use Zymol Cleaner/Wax after washing with "pure" water. Am I asking for trouble? Would I be grinding the dirt into the finish? Appreciate any help on this.
Re: NO SOAP
January 20, 2002 01:16AM
you are definately asking for trouble.car wash products provide lubrication between the paint surface and whatever washing tool you are using.furthermore, they help to disolve any grime,tar,road oil etc... and keep them in suspension until you are ready to rinse.it provides a "buffer zone" if you will,preventing surface scratches in the paint.DETAILING ENEMY NUMBER ONE!!!keep that sweet ride in great shape and find an area where you can wash your car the proper way,WITH SOAP!! my personal favorites are mothers reflections car wash and meguiars gold class wash.hope i helped.KLEENWERKS
Got Soap?
January 20, 2002 03:18AM
The 'no soap' method would work with a car that is in a museum display, never getting more than a light coating of dust. But on a street driven car, break out the soap.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Re: Got Soap?
January 20, 2002 03:21PM
Steve:

Try a simple test. Get you hand dirty and then just wash with water. I suspect you will immediatly find out the benifits of using soap. As Kleanworks and Don state the use of soap are a must on dirt and grime. The soap will emulsify the grime and allow you to remove it much more effectively making it much easier for you to accomplish your objective.

As for the selection of soap be sure that you use a product that is compatable and formulated specifically for automotive use. Some soaps ( ie: dish detergent) are too agressive and effectively "strip" the protective wax finish as well.

As for your municipal problem there are many soap formulations now on the market that are enviromentally friendly. Most areas have specific concerns ( ie phosphates and other ground water contaminates), however you should check with your local municipal authorities and they can tell you specifically what their concern is and may be able to advise of an acceptalbe product that you can use.

It is my beleif that the prevention of soapy water in any municipal area would be a most difficult if not impossible thing to accomplish. If you think about it, people daily shower, wash dishes, floors, clothes etc. and with each of this processes some commercially available detergent is used and introduced into the municipal sewer or septic system.

Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login