Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The traditional Clay Bar...

Posted by Toddco Bodywerkes 
A lot of people are getting scratches from using a clay bar incorrectly. This is due to using the whole bar, or using the same bar on eight to twelve cars.

You are then introducing scratches into the painted surface from other contaminants getting lodged into the clay bar & back into the finish.

A simple effective way to prevent this is to tear a small piece of clay bar for each vehicle and so fourth. You will prevent from getting any scrathces back onto the surface. You must also use plenty of lubricant & gentle glide the bar over the surface enough for the bar to gently remove any light surface contiminants from the exterior surface.
Re: The traditional Clay Bar...
January 20, 2002 03:55AM
toddco,i would like to add that folding the clay over itself also helps by exposing fresh material.i like to do this every other panel.have you had good luck using clay with car soap and water?my weapons of choice are mothers paint saver clay bar(light duty)and 3m cleaner clay(med-heavy duty).i always wash the vehicle prior to claying and afterwards.i then go on to polish, wax and so on.as always look forward to your reply.. your brother in detailing,KLEENWERKS
January 20, 2002 06:42PM
I'm sorry to ask such an elementary question. I tried a search on "clay bar" but came up empty. What, exactly, is the purpose of a clay bar?

I'll be getting the first car I really care to spend a lot of time detailing (1974 Austin Mini) in February,and I'm trying to learn as much as possible in advance.

Thanks, Jeff
Thanks for the tip with the soap & water, actually I have never heard of that method but will try using it later in the week. Also to note, I have tried using the bar with only distilled water & had very good results. I usually do this if I run out of a lubricant but now it seems like, thanks to you that I now can use the soap & water method. That will be a lifesaver! Thanks again for the tip & look forward in letting you know how it turns out.

Warmly,

Toddco
A clay bar is a bar the size of a bar of soap & feels like silly putty when touched. It will not stick to your hands. It is only to be used to remove any light industrial fallout along with jet fuel & other light contaminants that get on the exterior finish.

A note of caution. This clay bar method is normally used with a spray lubricant & is not to be used as a paint cleaner. For this process, you would use your cleaner & polish for the method.

You just spray on the lubricant & gently glide the bar over the surface & the bar picks up the light debris. You will really enjoy your results.
January 22, 2002 05:46AM
hi there everyone, i just have to say something about this clay bar we are talking about. i think its a detailers choice product. i love using it , infact i feel without it then your not doing it right! never polish or forsure wax your car without clay baring it first. i prefer using a lubricant called "paint gloss, or another called quick detailer" so even though the clay bar itself isnt that big you need to divide it maybe into three, then spray a small area at a time and glide the clay bar back and forth and then sise to side so not to miss any spots, work a section that is about shoulderwidth apart then wipe dry before moving to the next area, i like to use a delicate cloth called "micro fiber towel" you can even use the clay bar on windows to remove the same contaminants that are on the paint, it leaves the windows feeling as smooth. but if theres one thing that everyone should remember the most is the fact that always use it before that all important polish and wax job, otherwise your just protecting the contaminants to stay on your paint, feel free to comment about my thoughts.
Dan
January 22, 2002 08:18AM
I use clay after the washing with the PH 7 soap I have, just throw the wash mitt on the hood and clay away, I dont wipe off anything, causes scratches, I will rinse after the whole deal is done. You guys are doing it the hard and expensive way by using "quick detailer" as lube.
January 22, 2002 03:18PM
no doubt, clay is good stuff. i think that using it on every car or eachtime you wax or polish is overkill. but, there are some cars were it will save you time in the long run and give better results.
Dan
January 22, 2002 05:10PM
Yeah, I agree, but Im in a retail environment and I must clay 85% of the time, It makes that much of a difference in the clarity of the finish. Did ya get my E?
January 22, 2002 11:02PM
dan, yeah, got the e-mail about the detail-plus guy. pretty funny stuff. that board is wide open. if you ever try to post on auto supermart.com and post anything they don't sell they will delete the message.b.s.!!!
Dan
January 23, 2002 04:15AM
Yeah, sorry I was very pissed when I emailed you!!lol
January 28, 2002 04:32AM
Jeff a clay bar will remove fallout such as brake dust you know the little specks of rust on the side of a car orange in color. Clay bar will also remove
some ox or paint fade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login