Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

California Dusters

Posted by Ed Iverson 
California Dusters
January 20, 2002 06:27PM
Hello wise men of detailing! I have recently (Dec 24) purchased a 1999 Honda Odyssey in the the emerald green. I've been grateful to find your site here, so that I may keep the finish looking new. If I could inquire as to the effectiveness of the California Duster; would it be worth adding to my growing arsenal of dirt-repelling weaponry? Is a good spritzing of quick-detailing polish a better solution? I live 3 miles from the Atlantic ocean, and the weather tends to stay mild: the van is also pampered with an insulated garage. I greatly appreciate your help in this matter. Have a great day!
-Ed
Re: California Dusters
January 20, 2002 07:38PM
Some people swear by them, but the last time I checked, the general opinion here was that the California Car Scratcher is best left on the store shelf.

Apply and maintain a good coating of wax, wash with mild CAR soap often, and use a 'quick detail' product frequently between waxings. I prefer to use the quick detail stuff AFTER a wash to eliminate streaks and lint from towels.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 20, 2002 11:52PM
Thanks for the tip, Don; I'll be happy to redirect the $ from the duster to an investment in some good polish and wax! You guys are certainly the proverbial "map through the minefield"! My head used to ache after standing in front of the car finish displays at the local shops; thanks to your advice on this board I've got a reference guide. Happy detailing!

Ed
January 21, 2002 02:13AM
Ed,

We did some extensive testing with the Calif. duster many years ago when it came out & took it & wanted to find out how long it would take to burn up in the pit fire at our local beach. That test went better than the testing on a black mercedes benz that we had to do twice to remove the light surface scratches from. We also had to purchase a bottle of wine for the customer since we had the vehicle longer than promised. This was only our opinion of this product.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login