Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mixing Product Lines

Posted by Tom 
Tom
Mixing Product Lines
January 21, 2002 04:18AM
I can't seem to get the same detailing system products. I can either get the wax from Mothers and the polish from Meguiars at our local stores. They either carry one or the other. I have no idea why they don't carry cleaner, polish, and wax to complete the system product line. Oh course the store clerk does'nt know and the owner can't be found.

Anyway, my question is can these products be mixed? They way I have it now is, Meguiars Gold Class Wash Shampoo & Conditioner, Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax, 3m polish.

I am new at this as you can see. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Tom
Re: Mixing Product Lines
January 21, 2002 05:17AM
I 'mix' products all the time. It's a matter of finding the combination that works best for your application. I use Meguiars polishes, Mothers carwash, and either a synthetic (Finish First) or a carbon based (Liquid Glass) sealant/protectant, and Eagle One Wipe-n-Shine. I end up with show car results.

Not all products will blend because of chemical reactions beween them, I haven't known any to damage the car, but I have seen them cancel each other out, and not last as long as they should.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 21, 2002 06:23AM
Also to Tom that some chemical reactions from mixing one product onto another can result in a theory like trying to remove glue off something. This is mainly from using a different product onto another. The main reason usually happens when a very inexpensive product such as a two dollar can of wax is put on a vehicle. Then you come along & put a medium priced bottle of polish over it, the chances of having a hard time of removing the polish aren't in your favor.

We mix products all the time but caution is always taken since we might get a customer that had always cleaned his vehicle himself only using cheap products that can cause a disaster waiting to happen when we apply our normal products on. Care is always to be taken when you're not sure what is on the vehicle prior to receiving it.
January 22, 2002 06:46AM
Tom this is one reason why i dont like to get materials from auto part stores, because sometimes they have this but maybe not that of the same brand, well you know what i mean, right? i like to order from a supplier because you can get your favorite brand of compound, polish and wax and so forth. also dont get all caught up in that product #1 #3 #6#7 system its all just to confusing. its really as simple as compound and harder compound and polish and wax, for most of your detailing paint problems. for example, lets say you have a scratch, if high speed polishing them doesnt work first, then go to compound. well you know what im getting to, right? if you dont then please get back to me by email, ill be more then happier to send you a SOLUTION CHART.
January 22, 2002 03:35PM
i agree the numbers are a little confusing, but for the guys that use the stuff everyday it comes in ahandy as they get to know the products. i don't know anybody who is loyal and dedicated to 1 product line unless they can't get anything else. most of the guys on this board will use several different brands and even some generic. it seems like there is something new coming out constantlyand it can be hard to figure out. i use a little of everything and you can do pretty damn good at wal-mart or pep boys. it will cost more and you won't have the selection.i still prefer alot of the compounds and chemicals by companies like kar kraft, car brite,pro,malco etc... in a pinch, an auto paint supply store will usually have the good 3-m product line.
Dan
January 23, 2002 04:26AM
Let me know how that malco sealant goes in the next few months, Malco not Macco!!lol
January 23, 2002 09:42PM
hi my name is ron from canada.i am new to the detailing busines and i was wondering if i could get a copy of that sollution chart
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login