Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need advice on this one

Posted by turboman 
Need advice on this one
January 30, 2002 02:38PM
Yesterday I did a 10 year old sunbird that a guy bought his daughter. he didn't expect any miracles, but I was suprised how the paint come out. here is my concern, It was a convertable. and it was white. I used our special solution, with upholstry brush and most of the dirt, and stains came out. But some didn't. it looks much better but I was wondering what I can tell this guy to improve the results on that top. It almost seems as though some of the dirt and stains are so implanted in the material that I think it permantely impregnated the top. Any ideas would be appreciated. tm

Re: Need advice on this one
January 30, 2002 05:01PM
In the book: ULTIMATE AUTO DETAILING, by David Jacobs, he describes using a rag dampened with laquer thinner as an EXTREME measure on severe vinyl & convertable tops.

I agree that this is VERY extreme. Your best bet is to tell the customer to clean it regularly with Castrol Super Clean & a brush AND to coat it regularly with a vinyl protectant to prevent dirt from getting so imbeded in the future.

I had a customer with a '95 Mustang, Red w/white convertable top. It had stains that just weren't going to come out...period (I detailed the car twice a year for three years). I explained that the previous owner(s) had never applied protectant to the top, and as a result, the dirt was able to embed itself into the material of the top...he was cool with that, wished it wasn't so, but he understood.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 30, 2002 05:12PM
Thanks Don, that product you refered to as castrol ??? is it in auto stores or hardware stores? I never used it before.......I think if he tries it on a small section and it works, I'll have him bring it in and protect it for him. your right, without something on that top, dirt can take it over....tm

January 30, 2002 05:35PM
K-Mart (until they go under) Walmart etc...some places like AutoZone have a pre-mixed solution.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login