Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Price Check - not sure where to look - surprise twist inside!

Posted by noj 
noj
Price Check - not sure where to look - surprise twist inside!
June 30, 2004 06:20AM
My father is looking to buy a 67.5 E-Type from my old Scout Leader but neither gentleman knows a starting price to offer to begin haggling.

Here's the surprise twist - the car has been COMPLETELY dismantled. All parts are there, they are just in boxes. My old scout leader completely took the car apart (taking pictures and making diagrams during the progress) to begin restoring it, and then realized he didn't have the time to do it. All parts are in good condition and the body is in good condition as well aside from a cracked windshield.

If anyone has any ideas of a good price for this, or perhaps a place where I can look for information - that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon Marsiglia
Re: Price Check - not sure where to look - surprise twist inside!
July 01, 2004 10:05PM
Jon,

More info required, you say its a 67.5 E-type do you mean its a 67 ? is it a convertible or fixed head car.
Although all the parts are there its not normally just a straight forward rebuild, parts will need overhauling and believe me the cost will mount up.
You could try the JCNA they have a price guide.

Dave
noj
July 02, 2004 07:19AM
The seller said it was a 67 and a half, manufactured wise. He said the entire car is a series 1, aside from the bonnet which is a series 2.

I believe I remember it to be a coupe, no convertible top that is.

Thanks,

Jon
July 03, 2004 08:33PM
Jon,

Last question-where are you, prices vary from country to country.

Dave
noj
July 03, 2004 09:19PM
Louisiana in the good ole US of A
July 06, 2004 06:52PM
Jon,

Talking to some E-type owners in the States this is what they have to say:

It sounds like an early 67 car like mine. Completely S1 except for S1.5 open headlight bonnet, not S2 as they suppose. As for the value that's a total wild card. If ALL the bits are there just those may be worth $4k-6k thinking of the value of just the parts. Problem is I can't imagine why the car would have been torn down if the bits were in good condition so I'd be thinking a price between $6k-9k depending on condition of the parts.

Problem is unless this guy wants to do the work himself the price to get the car back running would be astronomical, well more than the $30k or so to buy a nice driver. Just thinking of what I believe I'm looking at to get my car right, motor perhaps $10k and paint about $10k for sure. This is a running car with no rust or serious damage and complete. I would also assume that car would need purchase/replacement of at least some bits and likely a new interior.

If the parts are rough then $4k may be generous as you well know how much it cost to buy them. Its a sad situation, we have to hope someone finds this car that wants a project otherwise it will certainly return to dust.

Hope that is of some help, I thought about $5-7K myself but as I am in the UK its hard to judge.
Do you have the VIN number and the other serial numbers? if so, could you please put them on www.xkedata.com its the worlds most up to date E-Type register, there is also cars for sale so you might get some tips from them.

All the best
Dave
noj
July 07, 2004 06:22AM
Dave,

thanks for the help - I will pass this along to the interested parties and let you know how it turns out.

thanks,

jon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login