Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Diff noise

Posted by Roger King 
Diff noise
July 06, 2004 10:35PM
I've just fitted a rebuilt 3.54 powerlock. It's not noisy, but when things have got hot there seems to be a noticeable 'clunk' on taking up drive or engine braking. It feels a bit like the wire wheels are clonking on their splines- but splines and wheels are all new and when I check them they're very tight. I've never had a LSD before - is this normal? Is the noise backlash, or is it more noticeable than a std diff because the clutches are tending to lock the wheels together against the prop movement?

Any ideas?

Roger
Re: Diff noise
July 08, 2004 07:49PM
Roger,

Have you checked your universal joints on the prop shaft, also check your drive shaft U/J's.

Dave
July 08, 2004 09:10PM
Yep - all brand new, car's only done 100 miles since complete rebuild. New bearings, UJs, fully recon diff, new dampers, bushes, springs, etc etc. I've checked it over from below with weight on the wheels and off the wheels, and nothing's moving apart from the diff backlash. Both wheels turn the same way in the air, as you'd expect with a PL, and there's some backlash at the pinion.

Roger
July 09, 2004 07:23PM
Roger,

I would be taking it back to whomever rebuilt it.
I think there should be around 5 to 10 thou backlash, it certainly shouldn't be clunking.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login