Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Technical innvoations

Posted by Oliver Cox 
Technical innvoations
October 15, 2002 09:39AM
I'm making a short commercial video and I've been asked to use an E-Type as an example of technical/design innovations. I know nothing about cars, but need to find three or four examples of new design or technical innovations that the E-Type contained. Can anyone suggest any, or suggest books/websites where I can find such information ?

Many thanks for your help
<b>Re: Technical innvoations</b>
October 15, 2002 08:35PM
<HTML>Jaguar E-Type innovatives:

1) The use of four wheel disk brakes was unusual for a road car at the time the E-Type was introduced.

2) The E-Type also boasted of a all wheel independent suspension, which few road cars (and most race cars!) featured. It also featured dual springs/shock absorbers on both sides of the rear suspension. The combination of ride and handling qualities were exceptional and quite advanced for the era.

3) The huge size of the bonnet (front hood) was unusual and also presented Jaguar with some unusual manufacturing challenges.

4) According to the 1961 brochure: BODY CONSTRUCTION. Stressed shell steel body of unique patented monocoque construction. Front sub-frame of square tubing carries engine unit, suspension and forward hinged front section.

-Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
Re: Technical innovations
October 16, 2002 10:00AM
Many thanks Paul.

If anyone else wants to add to these, I'd be delighted to hear from them.

Thanks again.
<b>Re: Technical innovations</b>
October 17, 2002 01:01AM
<HTML>One thing I forgot: The Price!

Much of what I listed was not necessarily new or exclusive to the E-Type. What was revolutionary and innovative was that they put all these advance features in a car that (initially) sold for less than $6,000.

One more thing I forgot: the disc brakes were inboard at the rear, an exotic touch usually found only on race cars. This was done to reduce "unspring weight" which is a big advantage in the handling department.

BTW, can you tell us more about the "short commercial video" you are working on? Is there a chance we'll be able to view it?

-Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
Re: Technical innovations
November 20, 2002 09:14PM
I,m rebuilding a 1969 XKE 2+2 engine. I've purchased valve springs from two suppliers that have shipped me both inner and outer springs that are both 1/4 inch longer than the lengths specified in the Bentley workshop manual; namely inner=1-21/32 & outer 1-15/16. Can anyone help?

thanks,

Albob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login