Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Thanks for the Welcome

Posted by Raymond E Schwartz 
Thanks for the Welcome
November 13, 2002 08:19PM
My name is Ray Schwartz and I just started shopping for a E-type. I always loved the car and recently purchased a BMW Z3 Coupe mostly I think because it reminds me of the E-type. Now that I have driven my first "sports car" I am totally hooked.

I went to the STABLE in Gladystone, NJ. to look around and was very surprized to find I could purchase a coupe (which is what I would like) for under 25,000. They have none available right now but they had at least three that were "in the shop" for regular servicing. Tom there has my name on a list for when something comes in.

Being really new at this, and not too adept as a mechanic, but willing to learn, I need a suggestion on what is a good starter for me. I like the look of the series 1. The V12 sounds neet also. Would like a manual rather than automatic. Are the series three more reliable because they are more current technology?

I ordered a couple of books already. I want to be a little smarter than I usually am, but I am getting itchy real fast. Help! I think I'm already nuts.

Ray
<b>Re: Thanks for the Welcome</b>
November 15, 2002 09:08AM
<HTML>Ray:

Many will agree that you are better off with a coupe, as they drive better, are more secure, weatherproof, etc. There is also the aesthetics, as discussed in the article at [www.web-cars.com].

The earlier series I cars are preferred, as they are as the designers intended with the covered headlamps. You'll also pay a bit more for them. And yes, with a $25,000 budget, you should be able to find a very nice example. The 2+2 model will be a lot less, as many feel them to be poorly proportioned. They also do not have good investment potential. Also note that only the 2+2 and series III models offered automatic transmissions.

Read and learn all you can about E-Types. Although they are very rewarding cars to own, they are also demanding, so the more you know the greater the chance that your ownership experience will be positive. Arrange for a qualified mechanic to do an inspection on any purchase candidates.

As a general rule, E-Types gained reliability as they got further into production. But they never really earned any reliabilty awards.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your search!

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
Looking for a series s coupe
November 16, 2002 05:21AM
Hi Paul
I like the series 1 also. I am only starting to look at cars in the field. If I like a 2+2 the "investment potential" would not stop me from getting one. I would like to drive the car a fair amount. I don't expect the car would depreciate, however, I got the impression that having it serviced correctly three or four times a year could cost between 1500 and 2000 annually. Does that seem right.

I e-mailed Mike Frank of the North Jersey Jaguar Touring Club. I am thinking that these folks could be a great source of advice and even good leads towards a good car. Do you recommend any publications or other web sites for sales?
Thank you
Ray
<b>Re: Looking for a series s coupe</b>
November 18, 2002 10:01PM
<HTML>Ray:

I highly recommend that you join and become active in a group such as the North Jersey Touring Club. They can be one of your best resources and the source of great friendships as they are populated by similar thinking people.

The $1500 to $2000 annual servicing costs is accurate, but only if you are starting with a good car. Also it might turn out to be an average, as one year could be only $500, the next $3000, that kind of thing.

Although you don't appear to be mechanically inclined, it would help to learn how to do a few things here and there. Your costs will be lower, but more importantly you will be "aware" of your car. It's kind of hard to describe, but spending time under the hood, looking at stuff, making sure things like accessory belts are tightened, inspecting and checking the fluids, checking the tire wear and so on will make a big difference. A group such as the North Jersey Touring Club that you mentioned can be a big help in this area.

Will you be detailing the car yourself? That's another regimen that will pay off. Keeping the car cosmetically fit takes some work but no mechanical talent so anyone can do it. It seems like all those who are happy and successful old car owners do their own detailing.

As for other sites, try [jag-lovers.org]. They cover all areas concerning Jaguar and although their site is a little hard to navigate, it is full of excellent information. Their E-Type email list is also recommended.

For magazines I can recommend Sports Car Market (http://sportscarmarket.com/). they cover all areas of the collector car hobby, so the E-Type info is buried, but it is excellent.

Keep us posted on your hunt and progress. If you get some photos, I can post them to the site so others can enjoy (and be jealous!).

Regards,

Paul</HTML>
Re: Looking for a series s coupe
February 25, 2003 04:25PM

Hi Ray:

Seems as if you are in the Northern NJ area, same here. I bought a low mileage 1972 Series III 2+2 in October. I'd be happy to share my ownership experience to date with you.

Jeff MacGregor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login