Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Inline 12???

Posted by lgp9999 
Inline 12???
April 30, 2003 05:03AM
I was told by somebody that there was once an Inline 12 in a Jaguar (the person thinks an E-type). Is this true? I have looked and can't find ANYTHING about an inline 12.
Re: Inline 12???
April 30, 2003 01:04PM

The Series III E Types had a 60 degree V-12. An inline 12 would be pretty impractical, just imagine the length of the thing.
<b>Re: Inline 12???</b>
May 03, 2003 10:00AM
<HTML>I'll have to wrack my brain to come up with the documentation, but I do recall reading about someone who was crazy enough to create such an E-Type. It was a goof on the V-12. This person, very skilled with a welding torch, put together two inline sixes, in series. They then created a very long bonnet and stretched the chassis a whole bunch. It was a real hoot. Maybe I'll remember where I read about it and come up with the info.

-Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
<b>Re: Inline 12???</b>
May 07, 2003 08:16AM
<HTML>I looked around and was eventually able to come up with an answer.

Yes, somebody did make a inline 12 cylinder E-Type. They took two six cylinder engines, bolted or welded them together in series to make a 12 cylinder E-Type. An extra 36.5 inches was added to the chassis and bonnet. It all weighed 970 lbs. more than a conventional E-Type. The turning circle was 51.3 feet.

It is all documented in a January 1971 Road & Track article. The article presented it as a new Jaguar product (called the Jaguar XK-EE), with the PS section at the last page of the magazine confessing that it all was a goof. Apparently the car is for real and Ali Roushan of Newport Beach CA is credited with it's conception and construction.

- Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login