Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

No Brake Lights - Again?

Posted by John Briel 
No Brake Lights - Again?
July 08, 2003 02:49AM

Car is 1966 Roadster, total restoration done (by others) 6 years ago. Only short trips since then. Problem is the brake lights stopped working again. Any advice on most likely culprit? Do they have their own fuse? Past experience with American cars would point me to brake switch on the pedal assembly. Is Jag set-up similar?

Brakeless in Grand Rapids...
Re: No Brake Lights - Again?
July 17, 2003 02:09AM
I have a 70 xke. The fuse is in the center panel on the dash. On my car it is a 35 amp fuse. The break light switch is under the bonnet on the left side , just to the right of the servo. It is also below and back toward the fire wall. It very difficult to get at and change. There may be a special tool--I'm not sure. Access is easier if you take thye panel below the switch off. I hope this helps. John
Re: No Brake Lights - Again?
September 29, 2003 02:18AM
John,

You will find the brake switch when you open the bonnet and look on the left side of the radiator. It is round with a silver band, black top with two spade connectors eminating from the top. Use something conductive (Key, screw driver whatever) and bridge the contacts. Have someone observe the brake lights. If they go on and there's a 90% chance they will-it is the switch.

You do not have to bleed the system to change the switch and it took longer to write this than to fix your problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login