Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

No clutch pedal

Posted by Paul Denault 
No clutch pedal
November 08, 2003 05:27PM
Hi,

I'm new to this site as of 5 minutes ago 11:30am est 8 Nov 03. Glad to be here. I'm a co-owner of a '68 white/red 2+2 coupe. The engine runs great, carburators recently re-built, but this car has sat for 15+ years. The clutch master cylinder is new, and I just re-built the clutch slave cylinder. After bleeding the system, no leaks anywhere, but still no clutch action through the pedal. The car shifts fine except into reverse when rear wheels are off the ground, whether or not the clutch pedal is pushed in or left out. I suspect the pressure plate is frozen to clutch assembly, or the clutch assembly is frozen to the flywheel, or both. Does anyone know how to free the system without pulling the engine. transmission, and clutch out of the car. Help...please.

One stuck jag owner,
Paul

Paul R. Denault
Re: No clutch pedal
January 05, 2004 09:57PM
After sitting for approx. a month after I wrote about my "No clutch pedal" dilemma, my 68 E-Type 2+2 coupe's clutch pedal developed some feel in
the lower half of it's movement. To my surprise, I was able to start the car in gear with the clutch pedal depressed, something that was not possible 4 weeks earlier. I don't believe now that it was ever a mechanical problem with the pressure plate or clutch assembly, but a hydraulic issue with the system not being bled completely. While sitting for a month after I had
bled the system twice, some of the trapped air bubbles must have percolated through the lines to the reservoir. Well, anyway, I'm now driving the car through my housing area, and the clutch pedal action seems to be improving each time I use it. I'm going to bleed the system again, being very careful not to draw any additional air back into the slave cylinder. If anyone needs any information about back-bleeding the system, I've recently acquired that too.

One unstuck Jag owner,

Paul R. Denault
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login